My 76 1UZ build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Edit: Always thought a table of contents would be useful on build threads, will try and keep updated as I go through:

Body work - 1-4
Harness - 2 (bottom line, have someone else do it, there is some voodoo in there that is best left to experts)
Steering - 3 & 8 (4x4 labs)
Brakes - 3, 5, wilwood MC4s on p9
TOB - 4 (Howes Racing)
J70 leafs - 6 & 7 (ARB)
Tail gate handle repair - 8
Bumper 9 & 10
PS lines discussion - 11
Fuel - start 11
Transmission tunnel fitting - 13
Air box, shocks - 13
move to Yukon and let pig sleep for 18 mos - 14&15

Start of original thread:

I thought I would get a build page going even though the project, at least for the next little while, will be really slow. In the last year I have managed to find a 1976 crusty pig, a JDM 1UZ engine, a r150 transmission, and my favorite item that just arrived yesterday, a set of NOS front fenders. The plan is to keep the tub and interior fairly stock, but probably do a SOA.

This pig is currently in a pen, quite literally at the moment, and will come home once I tell my wife I bought another project. In the meantime, I am starting on the wiring harness, I despise working on electrical and this project so far is just reinforcing that... Anyway, before you ask, here are the pictures (if the pig is familiar, it's because I posted a few pics last year when I first got it):
IMG_20190915_1130238.jpg
IMG_20190915_1130193.jpg
IMG_20190915_1130295.jpg
IMG_20190810_1908134(1).jpg

Last edited:
Yes, those are some pretty special signal lights and pin stripes... I am actually torn on the lights, I like the flush mount, but can't see cutting into the NOS fenders to replicate. On the other hand, I will be using this on the trail, might keep the original fenders if they are not too bad underneath. Lots of time to think about this, will probably be at least three years before this truck sees the road.

I started a chat with a gentleman who was selling off some parts from a failed project, got a rear license plate light, two front signal lights, a marker light and a half, a NOS rear window motor and a few other bits. I know I am lucky to have found them and I figured you might be one of the first to comment on the fenders - took the pic of the backside (of the fenders) with you in mind :)

It will be a few months before I make a decision on the fenders, have to get the truck home and go over it, but will let you know. There is a part of me that may just sell the NOS fenders to someone doing a full restore, to try and fund mechanical things I want to add. Step one is to try and get this bloody ecu to flash a code for me, did I mention I hate electrical??

Nice, unobtanium on the fenders for sure!

Congrats! This pig looks so familiar - Wanna say someone posted pics of this thing last year (maybe you?). Lots of woodwork in the interior?
Totally, I posted in August when I dragged it home and put it into hiding, I mean storage...

1590018273293.png

We're good, wife is aware, pig is home and garage is not that uncomfortable to sleep in... not really, she was a pretty good sport all things considered.

Did a thorough inspection, rockers are way better than I thought, need to replace about 2 feet by passenger door, floors are also better than I thought, so that's a bonus, rear end is a mess, but the sill is solid and the tensioner for the rear gate is operational. Why do people think expanding foam is a good idea????

Also, secured HJ61 cable locking axles and a gear driven case.

20200520_164345.jpg
20200520_160958.jpg
20200520_161033(1).jpg
20200520_161014.jpg

I started some a-pillar repair yesterday, more cutting than anything else, and removed the DS fender. The fender is pretty solid and the workmanship to put in the signal is sound, it is boxed from the inside and well protected. I am afraid I am an outlier here in that I have never really liked the fender mounted lights, I took them off my first 40 in favor of a lower mount teardrop.

For the 55, I am seriously considering keeping these fenders, and the lights. Final decision in a few weeks when I pull the DS and get a good look at it. However, I will not be keeping the pin striping ;), and yes, the front and back bumpers are off @RUSH55. They also were well built, probably as this was a plow truck for a number of years.
The PO also blanked the fan intake for some reason...

BTW, there is a lots of tar on the insides of the fenders, but also on the inside of the rear quarters.. was the covering on the quarters normal? There was evidence of previous steel repairs to the rockers, so I am thinking someone went in and coated anything they could get at. Also found a nest in the rear quarters and what seems to be common in my lcs, several 22 casings.

Here is the light - I didn't have to dig out any mud from on top (and the truck had plenty elsewhere)
20200524_123805.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom