Multiple issues - Do I keep it or dump it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Best thing you could have done was find this place. Which Im sure used some googling and since you can search, use the search function here! Its a great tool.

Also, we all started not knowing anything about cars, engines, drivelines ect... You learn by doing. And you will more than likely be able to buy the tools and parts to do the job for the same price that someone else would charge you to do it. The benefit is that you end up investing in tools which you can use again and again! Not to mention the experience and knowledge you gain!

The good news is that if you ask here, we can usually point you in the direction of a detailed write up or instructional video to help you.

Don't let your inexperience deter you from DIY projects on your 80, ask us and we can help, hell someone might even be able to come out and lend you a hand.

Its been said but just to add encouragement. U joints are an easy quick job and the exhaust can be replaced completely for less than 600 last I checked. Rock auto.com has lots of good parts plus Google for a 5% off code. You and the how to for just about anything on this site just read it q couple times before attempting. What's your location? Most likely mud members are close and can help for the price of tastly beverages.

And I always avoid the dealership unless I have a hookup or there's no other option. And even then its for parts only.

Last edited:
If you need help with the exhaust let me know. I have both spare cats and drive shafts or I know where you can get both cats new for less than $800 (carb legal) and Japanese made ujoints cheap.

Its like being married and your wife starts to gain a little weight. If she is a good wife you don't just dump her. You motivate her to get back in shape and protect your investment. Before you know it she is good as new.
I never thought of it like that I'm not sure I should give that a try.

Is this your only vehicle?

If not, do whatever is required to pass emissions & safety, have a good driveline shop do your U-joints, and drive it like you stole it.

And part of what i mean there is, get a 2nd opinion on those catalysts, from someone who doesn't sell exhaust parts.

So ive watched the video a couple times on replacing the u joints and it doesnt seem like the worst thing ever. And with my mechanic buddy i think i can make that happen. In terms of exhaust, i found a couple examples of the front cat for cheap (relatively) and i feel more confident about resolving those issues. I feel the front cat is not completely shot yet and i may be able to make it past emissions.

Thanks very much for the input and ill probably continue to update this thread with questions as we get into the u joint job. Ill re read a couple of the u joint write ups but im always open to any suggestions on research or key elements of the job that i should be concerned with.

Its like being married and your wife starts to gain a little weight. If she is a good wife you don't just dump her. You motivate her to get back in shape and protect your investment. Before you know it she is good as new.

:rolleyes:

I think all he is saying is that younger, hotter, faster will just leave you broke and with a burning sensation when you pee. Stick with what you know ie no surprises.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom