MPR Hard Top FJ 40 rear glass gasket replacement. Size of factory top rear glass gasket 40 or other models that might fit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody know a gasket that would get close? Glass is 14" x "32 approx.

Thanks
20231212_093212.jpg

Anybody know a gasket that would get close? Glass is 14" x "32 approx.

Thanks
View attachment 3505224
Those hardtops are cool! I never saw one first hand until @devo picked me up at the Denver airport in his rig four years ago. When you find the answer to your question, please post up so that others with this 😎 top can benefit.

To my knowledge CR doesn’t have any direct part replacements for a MPR hard top!
The MPR was specific to the Colombian 40 series and the window gaskets/ seals are not the same as on an OEM hard top.
My apologies, I did not realize the OP was discussing the MPR hard top.
Here's a link to the weatherstripping I mentioned: Rear Hatch Window Glass Weatherstrip for Land Cruiser FJ40 - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/rear-hatch-window-weatherstrip-for-land-cruiser-fj40?_pos=3&_sid=ef5f2487a&_ss=r
Perhaps this can help someone.
Peter

To my knowledge CR doesn’t have any direct part replacements for a MPR hard top!
The MPR was specific to the Colombian 40 series and the window gaskets/ seals are not the same as on an OEM hard top.

Yes, but if it's similar and hopefully just a little bit bigger maybe i can cut it and make it work.
Thoughts? it's just a flat edge on glass side and frame side.

Can you take a picture of the inside of the gasket? Hard to tell but that may be an offset type gasket. Original probably won't fit this.
That being said any good Mom & Pop Glass Shop can find the gasket for you. Stan-Pro products can also be found with a simple search.
Still not sure why this never made it into the FAQ's.

Okay @Storm Ranch this what my back door glass seal looks like. It is S shape with the small channel 2mm fits the fiber glass door and the large 4mm channel fits the glass…..

this is the old gasket in the photos

Wish I could remember who I ordered it from?

View attachment 3507914

View attachment 3507917

View attachment 3507918

View attachment 3507919

View attachment 3508000
Theoretically, if the seal was cut somewhat long and squeezed in it wouldn't later open up. That said I'm not an expert glass layer and I've only got what I've read to go by. I'm thinking an extra 1-1.5" so that the seal is as tight as possible.

If you read up on using auto glass gaskets/seals it will say to add 1-11/2” to the over all length.

The gap in that gasket was cut out so I could see what shape and the channel size for my replacement gasket. The gasket did not “open up”. It’s the same rule of thumb to add length even when replacing door seals.

You have to be careful ordering gasket material. If the channel is not sized correctly the glass and body seal may not be tight enough and will not hold in place.

Theoretically, if the seal was cut somewhat long and squeezed in it wouldn't later open up. That said I'm not an expert glass layer and I've only got what I've read to go by. I'm thinking an extra 1-1.5" so that the seal is as tight as possible.
This would be correct. Straight cut for the joint. Urethane windshield adhesive can be used on the seam after install.

I just wanted to let y'all know that I had some recent correspondence with the company that does 3-D printing (to include rubber gaskets) and they said they were somewhat confident that they could reproduce what's needed for my project (FJ43 MPR hard top slider window gaskets), but quoted a price of $1000 per seal for the gaskets on my MPR hard top. That's way too rich for my blood, so I'm continuing to look.

This is the gasket I'm in need of, which seals the slider window from the outside.

53402491000_6a844b118c_b.jpg

53402249248_b10d1423ed_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom