Mounting frame plate for fj60 steering box for conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fj moneypit

Cubic Zirconia Member
SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone sell a frame plate to mount fj60 gearbox? Or is there other way to do this? Iron pig offroad sells a kit with a Laser cut frame plate with compression sleeves to fit 85+ gearbox. They won’t sell the plate separately although I know someone who bought one. How did others go about this? Just bolt to frame? Thanks for any info

some info in the FAQ

I went thru that I didn’t find what I was looking for. When mounting the 60 box iron pig uses a plate on other side of frame to bolt to. Wondering if others have made a plate or sell a plate. IPOR don’t want to sell it to me. They want to sell the whole kit.

Thanks. That’s what I was looking for.

The 1st scout box I scabed plates on both sides of the frame, then positioned the box and drilled holes and added crush sleaves. The outside plate moved the box away from the frame so I used the Ford shock tower. The second one, I scabed just the inside of the frame. I then moved the stk shock tower back towards the tub. The back tower rivit hole is now for the front, which was tricky. With the box closer to the frame, I didn't have to remove a bunch material off the tower to clear the steering shaft. The PO had already moved the rad towards the pass side for the V8 conversion, so I had plenty of room. Here's a Crappy pic

20180317_204418_resized.jpg

20180318_233200_resized.jpg

20180318_233226_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I utilized 1/2'' thick plate 4'' tall x roughly 8'' long. Welded it to the frame, then laid out the steering box bolt holes, followed by drilling through the 1/2'' plate and frame, and lastly tapped them to the desired thread pattern. This is pretty simplistic and has lasted 15 years with no issues what so ever.

I utilized 1/2'' thick plate 4'' tall x roughly 8'' long. Welded it to the frame, then laid out the steering box bolt holes, followed by drilling through the 1/2'' plate and frame, and lastly tapped them to the desired thread pattern. This is pretty simplistic and has lasted 15 years with no issues what so ever.
Thanks. Not a bad idea.

Another question for those who’ve done this. My 71’ steering shaft is worm geared inside the manual box. I’d like to preserve all this and pass it on to someone. Do they make a splined shaft that fits the old steering wheel?

Not that I know of. But I do occasionally get steering boxes that have worn out worm gears. I put those off to the side and offer them to people like yourself that are trying to preserve good early steering boxes.
Made a trade like that with @kevos37 a year or so ago.

Not that I know of. But I do occasionally get steering boxes that have worn out worm gears. I put those off to the side and offer them to people like yourself that are trying to preserve good early steering boxes.
Made a trade like that with @kevos37 a year or so ago.
Thanks mark. Don’t want to hack the shaft on this since it works well. If I can’t find a shaft to work with the oe steering wheel I’ll sub the column and save the manual box for someone else. If you run across something I’d trade it to preserve this box.

I’d consider swapping in a newer steering column and passing the early one on to someone else.

I’d consider swapping in a newer steering column and passing the early one on to someone else.
Yeah I started looking down that avenue after posting. Think I’ll try to find a newer Toyota steering wheel and column. I’ve seen some use late 80 early 90s non airbag Toyota.

Just chop up the one you have. You know the column is good and you get to keep the old style steering wheel. a little fab work is all it takes. Swing by and see how i did mine.

When you go to power steering you will probably not want the old huge steering wheel. It will not be as responsive as the smaller steering wheel.

Just chop up the one you have. You know the column is good and you get to keep the old style steering wheel. a little fab work is all it takes. Swing by and see how i did mine.
Yeah peter I was gonna do that but the purist in me says sell it to someone who’d use it. On the other hand I feel like chopping it lol. I may have a line on a Toyota shaft that I can use. Once I get it all figured out I’ll hit you up. Thanks again

When you go to power steering you will probably not want the old huge steering wheel. It will not be as responsive as the smaller steering wheel.
Yep had that thought as well. A smaller radius would be nice.

Does anyone sell a frame plate to mount fj60 gearbox? Or is there other way to do this? Iron pig offroad sells a kit with a Laser cut frame plate with compression sleeves to fit 85+ gearbox. They won’t sell the plate separately although I know someone who bought one. How did others go about this? Just bolt to frame? Thanks for any info

Well, that's silly. Why not sell the plate and spacers? They used to. I have a PDF soft copy of the plate measurements for the LATE FJ60 steering box mount that I can post up here... there is a slight difference between pre-'83 and post-'84 steering box mounting holes.

Did you look thru this thread? IPOR FJ60 Power Steering Question

Well, that's silly. Why not sell the plate and spacers? They used to. I have a PDF soft copy of the plate measurements for the LATE FJ60 steering box mount that I can post up here... there is a slight difference between pre-'83 and post-'84 steering box mounting holes.

Did you look thru this thread? IPOR FJ60 Power Steering Question
No I have not seen this thread. This is great thanks for sharing. If you have pdf of plate (I’m using 85’ fj60 box) that’d be great.

No I have not seen this thread. This is great thanks for sharing. If you have pdf of plate (I’m using 85’ fj60 box) that’d be great.
I'll dig it out tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom