Steering Box Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NYIronPig

YES I have a problem...
SILVER Star
Threads
Will a 68-74 OEM steering box work in a pre 68? I know there is a different steering box for those models, but wanted to see what it would take to make the swap, as I have a nice rebuilt box now.

the pedestal mount is different
the change to a coupler, I thought , was 1973 model year before that the steering column was direct connection to the steering box.
there were 2 different ways the steering box mounted to the pedestal, I don't know which year the change was made.
@Living in the Past should know

9/72 (73 model) was when the steering column change with a coupler between the steering column shaft and steering box. Earlier shaft was part of the box.

Besides the pedestal the opening firewall had a bracket to secure the steering column tub. Previous years tube was secured at the steering box and bracket on the bottom of the dash. Those just as a flexible rubber seal at the firewall.

9/72 (73 model) was when the steering column change with a coupler between the steering column shaft and steering box. Earlier shaft was part of the box.

Besides the pedestal the opening firewall had a bracket to secure the steering column tub. Previous years tube was secured at the steering box and bracket on the bottom of the dash. Those just as a flexible rubber seal at the firewall.
so will the later steering box work with a few mods?

A '73 steering box and column with a rag joint fit my '70 fixed column with 3 on the tree frame mount just fine--if that helps.

A '73 steering box and column with a rag joint fit my '70 fixed column with 3 on the tree frame mount just fine--if that helps.

Did the 73 steering box bolt directly to 70 pedestal? Because the OP asked about 68-74 and avatar is a FJ45 he may have a pre 68 model which used a clamp to secure it to the pedestal.

Also how did you secure tube covering steering column at the firewall and keep the steering column centered in the tube at the firewall? Did you cut the firewall for the 73 bracket?

Bolted straight on. I think I re-used the tube, just without all the shift linkage. You're taxing my memory--I was a kid--now I'm on social security.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom