80 Series Power Steering Box Install on FJ40 Frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pilsanss1962

SILVER Star
Threads
Tie Rod end hell. Does any one know the part number/solution to a tie rod end that will fit between an 80 seres to 40 series tortion bars? We installed an 80 series Box from a 1995 LC on a 1978 frame and the system works amazing but we had to jerry rig a tie rod(passanger side) end just for testing as we cannot find the correct one . I am wondering if any one knows the tie rod end or solution ? Will we need to taper drill the torsion bar? Thanks in advance if anyone can help!!!!

You are correct, they are different taper. When I did mine I had custom tierod and draglink made up per @lcwizard. I also use hilux knuckles and steering arms as well. This way I use fj60 tre’s ( they fit hilux taper) at the steering arms and a fj80 tre at the steering box. I believe the fj80 is a different taper and thread size than the hilux/fj60 tre’s

I think we are just going to drill the torsion bar a touch bigger with a tapered bit. I hope and prey this solves the problem! thanks for the replys
Trail gear does sell Toyota taper reamers

That’s probably the right way to make it fit. One caution though, and maybe @lcwizard will have a more knowledgeable opinion, I seem to remember people having concerns that the stock steering arms don’t have sufficient material after reaming them out. I could be wrong, but I did a lot of research when I set mine up. Good luck

For my '74 FJ40 I used an '80-81 TRE to extend the drag link +/- 5" and fit into the taper on the Chevy pitman arm on the Scout II P/S box. The Scout II box mounts the same as an 80 series box.

1703832220588.png

1703832777369.png

The steering stabilizer in this pic is now gone and will be replaced with this one...
1703833326408.png

After reversing the taper direction...
1703834329239.png

1703833481193.png

The fixed end will need to be moved to accommodate the longer "60 series" damper.

Last edited:
Do not forget about mini truck stuff. 79-83 and 84-85 are different 19 and 21 mm (I think) but you can combined them to work on 40 stuff.

Thank you all so much for the comments. For Us the solution is a tapered drill bit purahaced at Dewit Tools in miami. I hope and prey i dont ream the hole to big or i am doubled F___ed.

Trail gear does sell Toyota taper reamers
Aliexpress too, cost only about $10 shipped: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPsqUio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom