Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tom, I cannot describe how stoked I am. Moonshine has been reborn! It was the right decision going with a completely new body. I'm glad it's been fun watching the rebuild process. It's certainly been fun wrenching on her. Maybe you'll get to see her yourself next summer!

MAYBE?????
I wanna see that rig out in Utah in Moab soon. I look forward to hanging out with you and doing some redrock crawling...

Tell ya what, not an easy / fast feat here.

It was def a long day, and glad to have all the help we had here that day, and the prep Johnny did before he brought the truck down.

I know he is glad it is finally done though, now onto smaller stuff i hope.

Thanks for the kinds words everyone! I do owe these guys a few beers, burgers are not enough. I still can't get used to the fact that Moonshine is clean. Getting in and starting her up in the morning is a new experience! Once again, Darin and the other guys with ONSC are awesome for helping me put this together.

I am going to do my best to coordinate a trip out west this summer, so if anyone wants to caravan from the east coast out to the Rubithon and / or Moab next summer, let me know!

Darin is right, it was a lot of work for a day. There is still work to be done, mostly interior stuff. There are a few quirks;

- Beeper comes on for the first 5-7 seconds of turning the truck on. The same beeper that goes off if you have your keys in the ignition (truck off) and open the door
- Blower fan only works on high
- Exhaust has separated from the header ( not body swap related, still annoyingly loud though:hillbilly: )

We broke the old windshield upon removal, so I had a new one installed today for $200. I think that was a pretty good deal!

Next up is finishing the interior reassembly, then shocks and an exhaust.

God damn I love this truck:grinpimp:

Wow... what a transformer!!!
About the blower, it's probably just the resistor thats screwed into the ducts right next to the skinny pedal. or maybe it's where the passenger has its left foot. cant remember. Anyway, thats probably not hooked up, or the resistor is blown.

To prevent more rust in the future can I recommend spraying the crap out of your rig with fluid film? Im doing it to mine over the winter even though it never sees salt. Thatll keep her pretty for a long time.

D

Well done... Well done!

Thanks Zach!

Wow... what a transformer!!!
About the blower, it's probably just the resistor thats screwed into the ducts right next to the skinny pedal. or maybe it's where the passenger has its left foot. cant remember. Anyway, thats probably not hooked up, or the resistor is blown.

Excellent, that's the info I was looking for. Thank you!!

To prevent more rust in the future can I recommend spraying the crap out of your rig with fluid film? Im doing it to mine over the winter even though it never sees salt. Thatll keep her pretty for a long time.

I've been using fluid film for the past 2 years. It seems to have helped, but there is no salt down here in NC, so I'm not sure if it's needed or not. I intend to coat the inside of the panels with something, just haven't decided what yet. The entire exterior is coated 100%, top to bottom, with Raptor Liner so I'm hoping that will go a long way to eliminate future rust.

I am going to do my best to coordinate a trip out west this summer, so if anyone wants to caravan from the east coast out to the Rubithon and / or Moab next summer, let me know!

If I have my rebuilt 3FE and h55 installed I'll be right behide you!

The body swap looks fantastic. I saw the before and after photos and thought you tried fixing the rust and painting it. Then I saw windows were being removed and I started shaking my head, thinking you were going way too far on paint for rust that's even farther. Then I saw sawzall action, kept scrolling and smiled.

Nice shop hookup, I'll be swapping everything over on my driveway then from there towing it to a buddies shop to have the bodies swapped with a forklift.

If I have my rebuilt 3FE and h55 installed I'll be right behide you!

If we can get a body swapped over in 15 hours, then we should be able to rebuild your 3FE and install the 3FE/H55 combo by June. If you need an extra set of hands, let me know!

The body swap looks fantastic. I saw the before and after photos and thought you tried fixing the rust and painting it. Then I saw windows were being removed and I started shaking my head, thinking you were going way too far on paint for rust that's even farther. Then I saw sawzall action, kept scrolling and smiled.

Nice shop hookup, I'll be swapping everything over on my driveway then from there towing it to a buddies shop to have the bodies swapped with a forklift.

:D Glad you liked it. I thought it was a pretty good progression of pictures as well.

That's right, I remember reading that you got a new body as well. You got farther along with fixing things with your current body than I did through. What prompted the change of heart?

Last Thursday, I went over to Canuck's Cruisers to cut up my old body. If the passenger front seat was absent I would have been able to fit the whole body inside, except for the roof of course.

After a little bit of grinder and a lot of sledge hammer work, I came up with the following:
IMG_20111222_113856.jpg

IMG_20111222_113901.jpg

IMG_20111222_115932.jpg

IMG_20111222_115946.jpg

IMG_20111222_121059.jpg

IMG_20111222_122556.jpg

IMG_20111222_130347.jpg

IMG_20111222_130353.jpg

Ever get your dash finished yet ?

Or atleast some heat ?

Nope, just got home from NY last night, so today has been reserved for relaxing. Later this week for sure.

She is looking friggin great, you deserve it after fixing up and sticking with a rusty truck for so long.
Kudo's to you and your help, great job!

Mark,

I am using it on my cruiser i have here with a rusted out one. I am going to cut off the old one and put it on.

Sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom