Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fixed the pinholes in the intermediate pipe, fixed the IC top mount, and did a pull to 3500rpm in third. Gonna do all pulls in third from here on out.

The whine/whistle that popped up yesterday is gone for now. Inspected both turbos and don't see anything out of place, both still feel new, no oil or other junk in any of the charge pipes.

First time above 40psi!! Still kinda cool at 1100* egt. With the single it'd be approaching 1600* doing the same thing, same fueling settings of course.

Screenshot_20220308-132838.png

Also of note, this tells us that I have a 2psi drop across the intermediate charge pipe. I expect that to worsen as flow from the lp turbo increases with fueling, but it's far from a deal breaker. Likely less pressure drop there than at the intercooler.

Big: PR = (18 + 14.7)/14.7 = 2.22

Total: PR = (42 + 14.7)/14.7 = 3.85
3.85/2.22 = 1.73
Small PSI: (1.73*14.7) - 14.7 = 10.73psi

Last edited:
Big: PR = (18 + 14.7)/14.7 = 2.22

Total: PR = (41 + 14.7)/14.7 = 3.79
3.79/2.22 = 1.71
Small PSI: (1.71*14.7) - 14.7 = 10.4psi

Big turbo is making 18psi and the little turbo is making 10.4 psi for a compounded 41psi total. Small doing about the same and the big doing a little bit more. EGTs still looking good.

What happens if you tighten the big's wastegate some more? I would assume higher total boost and a little more EGT but maybe EGT will stay the same?

What happens if you tighten the big's wastegate some more? I would assume higher total boost and a little more EGT but maybe EGT will stay the same?

I went back and added the calcs same time you were doing them, although I rounded up to 42psi :p

That's what should happen I agree. Thinking that it was a waste of time making the spring loaded wastegate in the first place, should have just put an eye bolt on the wastegate arm holding it closed, lol.

At the current adjustment, the spring is one thread turn from fully collapsed, so maybe 1/16" of room to open (maximum travel) with near max preload tension. I don't expect it to change much if I turned the wastegate that one turn in. Next time I have the lp compressor housing off I'll do that though.

Ok, I thought the small was clamped down but the big was still opening the wastegate quicker. Sounds like both are running tight wastegate tensions.

So to recap, you started at 27psi total and through some leak fixes and turbo wastegate tuning you are topping out at 42psi with the same exact fuel settings. Shows how much playing with just the turbos can do. What does the tail pipe look like? Clean? Haze? Puff and then clear?

Now, when you start playing with fueling via injectors and IP adjustments you'll get to mess with the turbo's again, but it will probably be more fine tuning than the full wastegate reset you've had to do. You may run into needing to reduce total boost and that's most easily done with the power screw on the IP or potentially reducing tension on the big's wastegate so it opens quicker to bleed off some exhaust energy. Kind of depends on egts and what kind of smoke you find acceptable. I've played with SAC and VCO tips and they are pretty similar in my set up. I want to remember SAC's feeling a little stronger but more smokey. VCO's seemed to be a little cleaner and I had plenty of power screw adjustment with the 5x12s to tune between the two styles. I'm still undecided on which style I like more so I won't know which style I'd recommend. Now that mine is not a daily driver I'm not as specific on it being as smoke free as possible.

How's that oil from the head gasket looking? Done another round of retorquing? Could it be coming from the valve breather or valve cover gaskets? Could be leaking from one spot and traveling to another.

You're thinking along the same lines as Zach and I Mike :D. I found new marine 370s for $250, so I sent a set of cores I had off to them. We'll see when those come in.

I have a hard time seeing the tailpipe while driving because it exits under the back of the truck, not the side (points towards the side), especially after having to chop off a number of smashed inches at fall crawl last year. What I can see is a little smoke down low, but I can't see anything after boost comes up. Need someone to follow me and take video while I do a pull, but seems to be puff then clear.

The low egt and "puff then clear" says "room for fuel" to me, but I'm maxed out already. Enter injectors.

Hg oil situation, not sure yet. It's less concerning than the lp drain leak, which I'm not sure is resolved yet. Seems to be, but I need to completely douche the underside of the truck to see what, if any, leaks remain, lol. She's pretty soaked from a camping trip this past weekend before I had a chance to fix the leak.

I may do another retorque round, and up it to like 140-145# instead of 130#, but if I have to pull the head again, not a big deal. I've got a few more here. Just sucks because this is the fancy cometic MLS gasket, with copper coat!

Get a GoPro with magnet mount and live feed it to your phone

the fancy cometic MLS gasket, with copper coat!

You can absolutely reuse these as many times as you want as long as you don't actually blow it out with boost

You're thinking along the same lines as Zach and I Mike :D. I found new marine 370s for $250, so I sent a set of cores I had off to them. We'll see when those come in.

I have a hard time seeing the tailpipe while driving because it exits under the back of the truck, not the side (points towards the side), especially after having to chop off a number of smashed inches at fall crawl last year. What I can see is a little smoke down low, but I can't see anything after boost comes up. Need someone to follow me and take video while I do a pull, but seems to be puff then clear.

The low egt and "puff then clear" says "room for fuel" to me, but I'm maxed out already. Enter injectors.

Hg oil situation, not sure yet. It's less concerning than the lp drain leak, which I'm not sure is resolved yet. Seems to be, but I need to completely douche the underside of the truck to see what, if any, leaks remain, lol. She's pretty soaked from a camping trip this past weekend before I had a chance to fix the leak.

I may do another retorque round, and up it to like 140-145# instead of 130#, but if I have to pull the head again, not a big deal. I've got a few more here. Just sucks because this is the fancy cometic MLS gasket, with copper coat!

I watched the pull you did getting on the highway on the way to the meet and greet and when we passed some folks. Both times there was a puff when you first hit it then it clears up when you are on boost.

New injectors installed. 5x012. Not the result I expected, but she feels like she has much more midrange power, so that's good. 46 psi is a new record though, so progress is being made. Screenshot is ~3500 rpm, maybe closer to 3600.

Another round of boost leak testing, and ip tuning are next.

Big: PR = (20 + 14.7)/14.7 = 2.36

Total: PR = (46 + 14.7)/14.7 = 4.13
4.13/2.36 = 1.75
Small PSI: (1.75*14.7) - 14.7 = 11.025

PXL_20220328_163254667.jpg
Screenshot_20220329-110529.png

Last edited:
Kingpin rebuilds tonight. Dickered the bottom caps using an air chisel to get them off. Was about to cut them off they gave me such a hard time.

Of note the Ps upper kingpin was loose, meaning not even finger tight. Massive issue. I think it's because I bottomed out the spring less adjuster onto the top of the kingpin trying to take up slack. Not good, but it's fixed now. I'll have to make up some new washers for the spring less arms. Good thing I've got a lathe.

PXL_20220329_223824920.MP.jpg
PXL_20220329_223806832.jpg

Next up was a permanent fix to my tie rod ends loosening up over time. Not sure if it's these arms or what, but since the d60 I've always had issues with the tapers wollering out and causing the tres to get loose. No longer.

Made a fixture to hold the arms at the correct angle, then milled in a 1/4" pocket to sink the new heims down in a bit.

PXL_20220404_204139506.jpg

Next, drilled and bored the hole to a bit over 1.25" so I could sleeve the arm with 4130.

PXL_20220404_211505575.jpg

PXL_20220404_225050170.MP.jpg

After welding, drilled the sleeve to final size, then template and fabricated the double shear support. Came out pretty nice I think. After all that on the first arm, copy pasta on the second arm.

PXL_20220404_235727514.jpg

PXL_20220405_010635502.jpg

Gave the arms a lick of paint, made the tie rod to length, trimmed the heim bolts to the correct length, and stuck em on. Fits great all around and at all steering angles.

PXL_20220405_174608728.jpg

PXL_20220405_174616793.jpg

PXL_20220405_174645735.jpg

PXL_20220405_174711925.MP.jpg

PXL_20220405_174720651.jpg

Is that a tweaked leaf spring in one of your pics?

Last edited:
Is that a tweaked leak spring in one of your pics?

Oh yeah, it's real bad. Did that at Fall Crawl last year. Surprised it hasn't broken yet, but I've got a spare to go in once I find time.

Believe me, the old tie rod ends were worse, lol.

cant wait to drink some beer and ride the quad this weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom