Mechanical Fuel Injection builds and options for 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents and ladies, good morning. I looked through using the “Search” function and found a literal treasure trove of information on EFI additions and conversions and for that I am thankful. However, I am looking specifically for information on adding a mechanical fuel injection system to my 60. If any of y’all sages and guru’s can direct me I would be very thankful. I have done nothing at all to my 60 as of yet and it is stock. My ideas for additions are, for now and with more education and experience i may change these: 2 inch lift, led lights, disk brakes, power steering, CB radio, v8 chevy small block (older model preferably) and finally that mechanical fuel injection if I can swing it. Thanks in advance for the assist. As I’m sure y’all can notice I’m a novice at this still and many of you are very experienced and I would appreciate suggestions and advice.

I think 2FE is what folks've been calling the hybrid setups. 2F motor with the 3FE's top end(header? Still learning terms) to incorporate the Fuel injection bits.
I've seen a thread or two while I've been perusing but don't recall their titles. Hopefully that's helpful.

I just got my first Land cruiser a few weeks ago (87 FJ60) so I'm on a similar journey of discovery.

EDIT: I re-read and realized my pre-coffee brain skimmed the bit where you said you saw the conversions and were seeking mechanical. My apologies.

Still - Good luck! Free bump.

If you're looking at adding mechanical injection to a small block chevy, I think you'll get better advice on a hot rod or racing forum. SBCs have been a popular Land Cruiser swap for many years, but these days people doing V8 swaps seem to leaning toward the LS engines. If it's simplicity you're after, it's hard to argue with a well-tuned carbed 2F. If it's increased power and driveability, then the LS has lots of advantages over a 350.

Also: it is possible to convert your 60 to 4-wheel disks, but....why? The stock drums are perfectly adequate, assuming they're working properly. Plus if you move to a rear disk, you'll lose your parking brake, which means you'll need to figure out some other way to do that. Way more hassle than it's worth, imho.

Gents and ladies, good morning. I looked through using the “Search” function and found a literal treasure trove of information on EFI additions and conversions and for that I am thankful. However, I am looking specifically for information on adding a mechanical fuel injection system to my 60. If any of y’all sages and guru’s can direct me I would be very thankful. I have done nothing at all to my 60 as of yet and it is stock. My ideas for additions are, for now and with more education and experience i may change these: 2 inch lift, led lights, disk brakes, power steering, CB radio, v8 chevy small block (older model preferably) and finally that mechanical fuel injection if I can swing it. Thanks in advance for the assist. As I’m sure y’all can notice I’m a novice at this still and many of you are very experienced and I would appreciate suggestions and advice.

The only mechanical fuel injection system I know of or am at least familiar with is Bosch KJET. It uses a high pressure fuel pump mounted in the tank and fuel metering distributor that feeds mechanical fuel injectors. The entire system works off of fuel pressure and a seesaw like mechanism in the fuel distributor that adjusts the amount of fuel supplied as the air flow pass through it changes (when you open or close the throttle). Its a fairly robust system and I even thought about putting it on a 60 as a project....but for the amount of effort involved I decided it wasn't worth the little time I have these days.

So curious why mechanical fuel injection on a gas engine? I think your going to have to find something from the late 50's early 60's. These systems were hard to tune and not very reliable. The issue was trying to get the ignition timing to sync with the fuel injection. A carburetor will be much better over old tech fuel injection. Now if diesel that is a different animal, that is very reliable with mechanical fuel injection. I am looking into doing a mechanical Mercedes diesel when my 2F is done.

The only mechanical fuel injection system I know of or am at least familiar with is Bosch KJET. It uses a high pressure fuel pump mounted in the tank and fuel metering distributor that feeds mechanical fuel injectors. The entire system works off of fuel pressure and a seesaw like mechanism in the fuel distributor that adjusts the amount of fuel supplied as the air flow pass through it changes (when you open or close the throttle). Its a fairly robust system and I even thought about putting it on a 60 as a project....but for the amount of effort involved I decided it wasn't worth the little time I have these days.
Oh the old Bosch system I forgot about that one. I think it was used on several brands of vehicles. Did it have electronic sensors or full mechanical?

I once owned an Audi 100LS with Bosch mechanical fuel injection; it worked well in general, but was prone to vapor lock in hot summers. Pretty fiddly system with a high-pressure fuel distributor; I wouldn't be looking for one again personally.

I don't know of any good mechanical fuel injection systems other than those on older diesels. The Bosch rotary pump on my Cummins is pretty easy to deal with, but I get a little more smoke than I want.
As for gas engines, I've had great results with the FiTech.com kit that I used on a v8 swap on my 1980 hilux, and have seen many happy customers with the Holley Sniper setups, although both are electronic. It's just easier these days.
But if you could find an early GM setup with mechanical injection like the early Corvettes, that would be pretty dang neat.

Last edited:
what mechanical fuel injection setup would make sense? Are you talking about with the stock I-6 engine or v8 swap in the gas lane ?

I would not be looking to re-invent the wheel anywhere.

when you say mechanical fuel injection are you talking really mechanical setup (if so ...what would be an example?)

I have a vortec 5.7 VB in my FJ60 and it mirrors same setup in 1997-1999 GM pickups with same engine.

I think the words mechanical fuel injection would refers to old school stuff....many years old (non-electric, non ECM, Non computer controlled) pure mechanical..

Oh the old Bosch system I forgot about that one. I think it was used on several brands of vehicles. Did it have electronic sensors or full mechanical?
There was a frequency valve that basically allowed more or less air to enter the intake…it was an emissions adaption. There was also a warmup regulator but nothing really electronic brain level. Just bimetallic springs or contact switches. Some did have an o2 sensor and a rudimentary computer that worked with the frequency valve. But the system would work with nothing more than an electronic fuel pump

Cadillac had one at some point as I recall, I sure as """hell""" would not want that. From my memory common modification was to trash that and install carb. I think that might have been on a 5.7 olds engine but I've forgotten.

bUt iT’s EMP pRoOf

OP:

I would look to replicate a GM fuel injection system from a production vehicle (GM SUV / pickup), not older than TBI. Or I would buy one of the current new aftermarket setups like the holley sniper or something similar. Save yourself some misery and $$ and time. If GM 5.7 go with systems that match that, if 5.3 or 6.0 go with systems that match that from production engines or as noted go aftermarket. True mechanical gas fuel injection I think would likely be misery from day one.

Do not roll back into mechanical gas fuel injection from the old "days"... I would do a GM quadrajet setp (carb) before going back to a true gm or other mechanical gas setup fuel injection...but thats my vote. Also think about who is going to work on your project and what happens if you get stranded somewhere.

Assuming you have a GM V8.

Thank you all for the knowledge and experience. I appreciate the insight. I was indeed looking at a true mechanical setup but as some have stated it seems it would not serve my purposes and I may have misunderstood what I envisioned it to be in the first place. We live and learn and I’m glad i asked here considering the wealth of knowledge and experience. Guess the easiest route would be to define what I’ll be using my 60 for: Daily driving and road tripping in the mountains. I want to go a route that will make for a smooth, safe ride for myself and my family. As efficient, well handling and safe vehicle as I can make my 60.

Once again, thank you all for the information and answers.

The cheapest/simplest fuel injection kit would be the AFI kit.

It is a bit crude though and some report odd issues, but their support is pretty good.
Just completed installing mine this weekend. Engine fired up on first crank after sitting for over a month. Idle was smooth and steady with a cold engine. No more choke or pumping the gas! I bought the kit with the distributor. Not road tested yet, still up on blocks for other maintenance. Biggest hurdle was the throttle. I went to a cable throttle using a firewall mounted bracket.

Just completed installing mine this weekend. Engine fired up on first crank after sitting for over a month. Idle was smooth and steady with a cold engine. No more choke or pumping the gas! I bought the kit with the distributor. Not road tested yet, still up on blocks for other maintenance. Biggest hurdle was the throttle. I went to a cable throttle using a firewall mounted bracket.

Nice! Any issues on the install? Did you use an external fuel pump?

Nice! Any issues on the install? Did you use an external fuel pump?
I did use a in-line pump mounted on the frame. Cut a section out of the factory steel lines and mounted the pump and a filter. Spliced in with rubber fuel line. Fuel pressure is less than 40psi so high pressure hose is not needed. No issues to speak of, throttle set up and welding in a bung for the 02 sensor were the two time consuming items.
I used the factory carburetor fuel cutoff wire for my key on 12v source and made a pigtail at the starter solenoid for my crank input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom