Mechanical Fuel Injection builds and options for 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OP: find someone in your area that has a swap or fuel injection setup you think you may want in their running LC.......go visit and look around, find out true cost and ease of setup / operation etc. Pick their brain as to install and setup and their first hand experience.

The forum is a great place to get ideas....you might also visit any of rides or events in your area or if you are in reasonable area of some of those 4wd mod shops, you might find out what if anything they might recommend. Many of these things also relate to hot-rod stuff where people swap engines in all types of cars/trucks, not just 4wd stuff.
I would avoid doing anything thats a one-off type of approach. There is no reason to do that given the amount of proven approaches with a GM V8 swap, and or some mods the people are doing to adapt fuel injection to the I-6.

Just completed the AFI install that uses a GM throttle body. Have some wire harness clean up to do, but overall very pleased with the performance. Install was straight forward and not difficult. Engine fired on first crank. Runs very smooth even with a stone cold engine. Timing is now computer controlled. The black box on the fender is the ignition box. I did use a Holley sniper coil. Not required but the original coil had a loose terminal stud. Used an air cleaner from a 1986 S-10 which used the same throttle body. Three sensors are added a coolant temp, manifold vacuum and oxygen sensor (O2). I am going to modify the factory cold air intake hose to fit the air cleaner.

TBI LC60.jpg

TBI setup from the GM version was very dependable / rock solid, near zero issues over time for the most part, I had a GM 1/2 ton pickup for a while with 5.7 V8 (TBI) version, not a power-house but really dependable.

Now of course you'll have to listen to the purist type folks....... but in my world an improvement can come from many sources.

I would bet, once dialed in, the truck will start and run well no matter the temps etc....right off the bat from cold start.

TBI setup from the GM version was very dependable / rock solid, near zero issues over time for the most part, I had a GM 1/2 ton pickup for a while with 5.7 V8 (TBI) version, not a power-house but really dependable.

Now of course you'll have to listen to the purist type folks....... but in my world an improvement can come from many sources.

I would bet, once dialed in, the truck will start and run well no matter the temps etc....right off the bat from cold start.
Agreed. It ran good for a carburetor but that is like saying it charged good a generator. In my opinion FI is way more reliable then carburation and much more tolerant of the alcohol in todays gas blends. No vapor lock or high altitude problems, the list goes on. I have done the Rubicon in a carbureted rig and FI rig and it is a night and day comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom