Mace...we need a hardcore Hammers report! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gee not many photos.. But who has a place that will host videos ;)

Little things killed my weekend. The cruiser ran perfectly and held up to the beating I gave it on BD. then my PS pump gave up. I only was able to steer at WOT.. :rolleyes:

So I actually got some pics. Story coming :)

It most certainly helped.

Let me put it to you this way. The new line on the second waterfall on backdoor is to the right. If I would have known the line it would not have taken a guy on my winchline to make it..

It took 5 rock buggies 3 HOURS to make it from the second waterfall to the third.

Three of those buggies were the old Redbull Comp units..

And it was close to if not 100* outside.

I was happy to watch and guzzle water.

Q mace: :) I was happy to watch and guzzle water.

at least the water in the tires comes in handy on a HOT day!

;)

picsbrother! pics!

Gee not many photos.. But who has a place that will host videos ;)

Little things killed my weekend. The cruiser ran perfectly and held up to the beating I gave it on BD. then my PS pump gave up. I only was able to steer at WOT.. :rolleyes:

So I actually got some pics. Story coming :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: that dam pesky power steering pump:lol: :D

mace......photobucket.com can host vids max size 5min or 100mb

believe it or not..

Becca was in the group with her son and their lead mechanic driving the previous Rockit and some other guy driving the first buggy that they bought from Walker Evans... I have more video of them not making it than anything else...

The Rockher was overheating something fierce. 5 mins on and 15 mins worth of cooling.. F'n wierd..

Get your ass out here. I am tired of wheelin with people I cannot count on.
baby webster.jpg

Last edited:
All right my weekend.

Cruiser was loaded the weekend before and I was all set. Friday morning I woke up, drove to the grocery store, filled up with :beer: and diesel and managed to get going at about 6:00am. An hour later, I am at the other side of town.. :rolleyes: No worries, I have lots of time. Set the cruise at 72 and just relax..

I was in no hurry because most of the people that I knew that were coming out did not make it. Too many other things going on at that time. In the middle of a rousing sing along with some sort of musical around Baker the truck started to slow down. No big hill.. It just lost power..

s***..

Start looking back and see that I had shredded a tire. No worries, I pulled the spare out and swapped the tire out. Hmmm.. Guess it would suck to kill a tire without a spare on Boon Rd. (which was supposed to suck ass currently). So I called my wife to locate the nearest Discount/Americas tire. Nothin in Barstow, but there was on in Victorville.. Only about 60 miles out of the way. No big deal. I would be there before Noon anyway..

The reason I was slowing down was because the entire tread on my trailer tire fell off. And wrapped around the axle rubbing against the rim. pull the tire off and everything was still there...
trailer tire.jpg

After I paid for the tires it took another 3 hours to get my trailer worked on.

2 tires had to be mounted.. I sat there watching people flow in and out. Apparently, a trailer is not something most of them like to work on..

2 hours worth of me sitting around with only a sammich made with olive loaf (WTF eats olive loaf.. I screwed up and bought the wrong sandwich at the grocery store) I finally went over to bitch.. Only took an hour to get my rig done after that.
Americas tire.jpg
americas tire 2.jpg
olive loaf.jpg

Finally got to the hammers at 3:00 in the afternoon.. I was slightly grumpy and itchin to try Backdoor. Go to the booth and check in.

Met up with Scott (rockstomper) and shot the s*** for a while. Perused the damage he incurred last weekend (the 24 hr at the hammers unrace)

Got my tickets (food and drawing) and headed back to the Total Karnage camp (grogan, those were the guys I waited for 2 years ago on claw..)

Unloaded, got camp ready and they showed up.

Sat around and shot the s*** for an hour or two before I got seriously twitchy and had to go wheel.

"Hey, I am gonna go run Backdoor"

Nobody moved..

Off I went..

1st waterfall was cake. Walked it. Second waterfall, the entrance is pretty seriously dug out. You cannot easily crawl up to the top any more. It takes a bit of throttle. the third time I got to the top and was not able to clean the lip I had the only heckler (one guy by his lonesome watching me..) give me a tug over the lip. A bit of gas got me over the third waterfall. No biggie.

After watching others run that falls if I had just aimed to the I think I would have made it...

Finished the trail (15 to 20 mins) I drove back to camp. The jeep buggy on 46" claws was just beggin to be dominated so I let the old 40 stretch a bit..
rig stack 2.jpg
rig stack 4.jpg
rig stack 3.jpg

After sitting at comp for a while we decided to see what the heckeling section at Backdoor was like (~ 11:00)

I drove up to the entrance and sat myself in a nice section to start Heckeling..
(I am no better than they are, but I am not dumb enough to try it at 11:00 at night without making dam sure that I was going to make it quickly..)

Soon as I started to heckle RocDoc (one of the TK boys) was running the second waterfall.. s***.. Guess I have to help now. Doc has a 85 Fuel injected Mini with a buggy spring rear suspension, leafs in the front, and spooled Mini axles front and rear (30 spline longs). It took him about 10 mins of trying but he listened well and was able to drive it. The 46" clawe'd rig was up after him. No big issues there.. And then another linked mini made it up after that. Before those rigs (according to the crowd) 5 rigs had been rejected.. Cool..

Stacked some rocks for Doc and got him up the third waterfall. He went high and then promptly blew a bead.. Okay, drive back to camp and get the highlift.

Get back to doc and he already has a highlift and some Samoan dude from Oregon helping him get the tire back on the bead..

Finish it up, get doc rolling again and head back to camp.

Sit in my chair, smoke a cigar and then fall asleep at 3:00am..

BTW, I noticed a LOT of oil on my inner tire when I got back to camp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom