LX470 HID RETROFIT PROJECTOR BRACKET (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Closing in on a finished bracket.... For those who have already done the HID projector conversion we could probably all agree that one of the hardest parts is actually removing the projector from the OEM housing and reinstalling it.The problem child is the ball snap that's inside of the round attachment point....thinking you could just pull the attachment point off the ball snap but you can't......The OEM ball snap is not designed to be removed from the plastic housing....it requires a 10 mm angled wrench to remove it from the OEM housing.... it's on the backside of the bracket so it hard to get to.
@DirtDawg and I talked about it and I believe I found the solution. ... There's a company that sells the ball snap with a coupler that design for plate attachment. The coupler just snaps on to the ball snap and if you need to remove it you just pull it off ....simplifying the installation process
The company that manufactures them typically only sells to the automotive industry but they have agreed to send me a few samples and will direct me to a distributor if they work

Here's the factory attachment point

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

Last edited:
I just had to take a min from studying for finals to explain the importance of this new development and thank @Luke111 . The most annoying and time consuming process of doing a retrofit on the LX headlights is removing the ball joint and reinstalling. When I was first getting these retrofits dialed in, I would have to remove the ball joint at least 3 different times to adjust aiming and level of the beam. I have since gotten it down to just two times, but it is still a painstaking process. The ability to be able to simply "pop" the ball joint on and off will cut down almost an hour on retrofit times. Not to mention time being saved from having to cut the stock projector bracket.

When Lou starts producing these, buy one. Even if you are doing the simple TSX retrofit it will still pay for itself when it comes to the ball joint and cutting. The amount of R&D put into these is immense and it will show in the final product. Once again, thank you Lou.

I just had to take a min from studying for finals to explain the importance of this new development and thank @Luke111 . The most annoying and time consuming process of doing a retrofit on the LX headlights is removing the ball joint and reinstalling. When I was first getting these retrofits dialed in, I would have to remove the ball joint at least 3 different times to adjust aiming and level of the beam. I have since gotten it down to just two times, but it is still a painstaking process. The ability to be able to simply "pop" the ball joint on and off will cut down almost an hour on retrofit times. Not to mention time being saved from having to cut the stock projector bracket.

When Lou starts producing these, buy one. Even if you are doing the simple TSX retrofit it will still pay for itself when it comes to the ball joint and cutting. The amount of R&D put into these is immense and it will show in the final product. Once again, thank you Lou.

Thanks Conner

So I just tested the ball snap it has longer threads then the OEM ball snap but the height from the built-in nut to the top of the ball snap is actually shorter than the OEM. The threads are also slightly wider but I was able to gently tighten it and did not take it all the way to the bottom just enough so I was level with where the OEM ball snap was. Both the OEM ball snap and the one that I just received have a slight curve to them and I'm wondering if it's there to make small adjustments in centering the bracket but have no reasonable explanation of why they are curved

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

Last edited:
Making a few final adjustments

I am definitely in for a pair of brackets as soon as they are available. I'd love to be able to go with the D2S 4.0 kit, but if I had to "settle" for the mini H1 7.0, I suppose that would be ok ;)

Thanks for everything you have put into this. Can't wait!

not to be that guy, but do we have an ETA for a product? im not even sure i care if it's completed or not as i'm in the middle of a retrofit myself and time is of the essence (isn't it always?) .

worst case could i send you a paypal for just the DXF?

either way, i love what you guys are doing and the amount of time and effort that goes into R&D on something like this is very time consuming, doubly so when you're an ENG student, lol, it's got to be a labour of love first and foremost for someone do to this, even if i don't end up with one of your brackets it's what guys like you do that make this a community, not just a forum, keep it up and though my opinon isn't worth 2 craps, i'm proud of you guys and the work you've done to bring things like this to us, those who are either too busy or too lazy to tackle it themselves, personally, im a bit of both, lol, so thanks, thanks for what you guys are doing.

cheers and PM me if you'd like to talk about the DXF or shipping me a beta product if lead times are a bit more than a few weeks out, sorry i can't wait much longer than that....and sorry for being that guy, lol.

not to be that guy, but do we have an ETA for a product? im not even sure i care if it's completed or not as i'm in the middle of a retrofit myself and time is of the essence (isn't it always?) .

worst case could i send you a paypal for just the DXF?

either way, i love what you guys are doing and the amount of time and effort that goes into R&D on something like this is very time consuming, doubly so when you're an ENG student, lol, it's got to be a labour of love first and foremost for someone do to this, even if i don't end up with one of your brackets it's what guys like you do that make this a community, not just a forum, keep it up and though my opinon isn't worth 2 craps, i'm proud of you guys and the work you've done to bring things like this to us, those who are either too busy or too lazy to tackle it themselves, personally, im a bit of both, lol, so thanks, thanks for what you guys are doing.

cheers and PM me if you'd like to talk about the DXF or shipping me a beta product if lead times are a bit more than a few weeks out, sorry i can't wait much longer than that....and sorry for being that guy, lol.

We just completed the final prototype and looking at the picture it's dead center. I need to see it in hand to give it the green light. Ara who's done all the CAD and 3D printing sent me this shot last night.
I could have the brackets cut and sent in a few days but I'm also waiting on the couplers and snap balls to arrive.

@THEIZZARDKING the time table is close and that's all I can promise until I have secured all the parts. So being that guy who isn't sure if he care's if it's completed or not because time is of the essence...you should go ahead and wrap up your retrofit and the DXF file is not for sale. I except your apology for being that guy.

IMG_1214.JPG

Last edited:
We just completed the final prototype and looking at the picture it's dead center. I need to see it in hand to give it the green light. Ara who's done all the CAD and 3D printing sent me this shot last night.
I could have the brackets cut and sent in a few days but I'm also waiting on the couplers and snap balls to arrive.

SWEEEEEET! Can't wait. No one would ever know until you turn on the lights. Again, great work!

Are there any updates on this, I just got a 470 this weekend and the stock lights are good for what they are but I am use to proper HID output.

I'm excited to see this progress. Can't wait to purchase the final product. If you are starting a list of who's buying, I'm in for sure. Thanks for putting all the hard work in to get it right.
Out of curiosity is the DS2 4.0 going to be an option?

Are there any updates on this, I just got a 470 this weekend and the stock lights are good for what they are but I am use to proper HID output.

Hey, I know its been awhile but I had to wait until I was sure I could get the couplers and ball snaps before I had the final prototype cut in aluminium. Bollhoff the manufacture of the couplers had me work through a distributor who told me I had to buy 2500 of each and had to wait 10-12 weeks to get the product. So after many emails and calls Bollhoff is sending me 100 of each to get me started which will arrive tomorrow and the final prototype aluminum brackets arrive today. I'll test fit them tomorrow evening and if they are right I'll place the order for the first 100 sets. I will have a few sets of the D2S 4.0 as long as you understand you will have to cut your shrouds and if you F them up its on you but they will be available.
More exciting news ..... I've been working with one of the Chinese companies that produce replacement LX470 headlight assemblies to ship the lights un-sealed and without the low beam projector installed. This would simplify the retrofit ...install bracket and projector, lay down the butyl glue, bake for 8 minutes and install new lens and you're done ...Stay tuned

@Luke111 , fantastic work with the bracketry and also the headlight assembly. For those of us who aren't up to speed on the process to use these brackets, would it be possible to do a short write up on the process or provide a link?

@Luke111 , fantastic work with the bracketry and also the headlight assembly. For those of us who aren't up to speed on the process to use these brackets, would it be possible to do a short write up on the process or provide a link?

Thanks, yes I will provide a step by step process as soon as I have a finished process.
The quick overview is this bracket is replacing the factory bracket projector.
First picture is the OEM projector bracket
and the second is a prototype of my bracket that was 3D printed

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

Brackets arrived...one of them is off center and will need a slight adjustment.. I'm hoping it's the larger for the D2S. The coupler fit is perfect....very tight. I'll test fit them both this evening and update the thread

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

Houston we have a problem!! For the past three days I've been trying to get the bracket, projector and shroud to work in concert with each other and adjust the cutoff to the right height and it's not going to work without a custom mounting point. It's the lower mount point which is offset by 1/2 inch. The two other attachment points are almost parallel and level to the base of the bracket so they don't really present a problem.
The only way to get this bracket to work will be to either cut the corner off the factory bracket and weld, JB weld or bolt it to my bracket. It might be possible to just cut the attachment point off and weld, or JB Weld it. Or have a custom piece made.. I'm looking into that. I have a new found respect for Toyota engineers and OEM parts.
The other conclusions is the projector has to mount behind the bracket with a 1/4 inch spacer to match the factory bracket. Which will require a slight change to how the bracket is cut.. my crude changes ready for CAD.
I feel this is a small set back but I'm dedicated and have way too much invested in this to stop now.

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom