Builds LX450 where to start! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Poser

Couple poser shots

Very impressed with the quietness and comfort of this tire
photo1.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg

Wow outstanding job thru and thru my friend. My wife has the lx and wants to move into a hundy so i might redo her whole rig. I have 350k on mine and she has half that. The spray liner on the side looks just totally kickass and thats coming from a 44 year old man. Your really puting some quality work into our 80 my friend. Stay frosty

Yeah I really like the size of these 35's but I only have a 2.5" lift. If I had anything bigger I would definitely want 37's. I think these are a really great tire for 80's. They fill a the gap between an A/T and a M/T. In a quiet truck I notice just the smallest increase of noise over the Open Country A/T's but with the stereo on or even carrying on a conversation the difference isn't noticeable. Since this is more of a back country truck than a rock garden truck these will be perfect for my needs.

Thanks Crow, that is nice to hear!

It is the funniest thing when people realized it is line-x on the side of the truck, everyone asks to touch it. I even had a girl at the drive through ask if she could and then she leaned out and rubbed the truck. ha.

Both the tire shop and the Line-x dealer questioned me when I called them to get quotes and I told them I had a Lexus, even though it is the exact same truck as a Land Cruiser. I find that to be the funniest thing. I was at the Line-x shop when the guy was suiting up and he had to call his friend at their other shop to tell him that he was getting ready to spray line-x all over the side of a Lexus.

All in all though I am very happy with the truck and how everything has turned out.

Wow outstanding job thru and thru my friend. My wife has the lx and wants to move into a hundy so i might redo her whole rig. I have 350k on mine and she has half that. The spray liner on the side looks just totally kickass and thats coming from a 44 year old man. Your really puting some quality work into our 80 my friend. Stay frosty

Lookin really good Ryan. Your making me want to remove my flares now.....
Here in hawaii more and more people are spraying more than truck beds now with liner. It didnt phase them when I said I wanted my roof sprayed. I saw a 98 prelude covered top to bottom not too long ago. I love not having to wash my roof now and thats probably why the prelude owner sprayed his whole car lol. That and bird poop wont damage it now :)

GT443,

Yeah I bet that the people in Hawaii love line-x. I remember when I lived there that people wouldn't buy new cars they would just buy island beaters because of the rust. But I would take a rust problem if I got to live there. What a place.

Lookin really good Ryan. Your making me want to remove my flares now.....
Here in hawaii more and more people are spraying more than truck beds now with liner. It didnt phase them when I said I wanted my roof sprayed. I saw a 98 prelude covered top to bottom not too long ago. I love not having to wash my roof now and thats probably why the prelude owner sprayed his whole car lol. That and bird poop wont damage it now :)

Are you getting the intake hose on the bottom from underneath or through the topside. Not sure what to take off to get access. Thanks guys

Bumper is here!

Looks good, only spot I am not thrilled with is that I ordered a bumper without swingouts and I was expecting a clean bumper, but it looks like a regular dual swing out shell, that has some cheesy plugs put in it that don't even fill the holes.... I guess it gives me the option down the road to possible grind them out and weld in spindles and have the bumper re-powder coated. Options are good, just not what I expected. :)
bumper.jpg

Crossmember chopped

Crossmember is chopped. I started with a 7" cutting disc on a grinder, that was the wrong tool for the job in my opinion. I ended up running out and picking up a sawzall with 8" 14tpi blades and it cut through like butter. The crossmember braces seemed to come out the easiest when I just slid the blade between the frame and bracket and let the sawzall work on the weld. Cleaned everything up with a 4" 80 grit flap disc. Primed and painted the bare metal waiting for it to dry before getting the bumper on.
chop.jpg

Last edited:
As a safety note that is not a 5 gallon container of gas with the lid open, it is a plastic jerry can for water. Knew someone was going to say I shouldn't be grinding or cutting with an open container of gas nearby. ;)

truck looks great! Great bumper choices

Outstanding! Looks great with the sliders too. Nice job again Ryan!!

Crow

Quick cool mod

LED lights about a 15-20 min job. Replaced the map light, 2 dome lights, 4 door lights, and 2 rear license plate lights. I bought LED's for the front markers but 1 of them was DOA.

Hard to tell in the crappy pics but a factor of 5 brighter then the incandescent bulbs they replaced. In the pic I put one of the old bulbs in to try and show the difference.

Ryan
led.jpg
led2.jpg

The baselining continues -

Well I have been debating whether or not I was running a little warm. I have been watching the Scangauge very normally and my LX has been running around 193-195f occasionally creeping up to 198f. Here in winter in Texas with no hills I thought this was a little high, but after talking to people who have a lot of mechanical knowledge they said this is fine don't worry about it. But it kept eating at me so I bought a new fan clutch and ran up to the hobby shop and picked up some 50,000 cst. I added 4ml of 50,000 to the clutch and set it aside. I also decided that I would change the thermostat while I was at it. I popped the thermostat out and replaced it, and took the LX for a test drive. It wouldn't get any warmer than 182f. Problem solved. I have a new fan clutch but I will just save it and see if I have any issues this summer.
!

You may find the 50k fluid too much. I put 30k in mine and wound up with it being engaged nearly constantly.

Those 35s look great. Im liking the mild lift/35s/no flares look on these trucks.

I think you are definitely right 50,000cst is way to heavy to use straight. I only added 4ml of 50,000 cst to the OEM fluid which everyone is saying is about 30ml of 3,000cst. So the mix should put the total of 34ml at around 8,500cst stiffer than OEM blue clutch but still considerably under what a lot of people are using.

Thanks I really like how the truck looks and like everyone says it is amazing how the 80 just swallows up tires. I had the spare standing up in my garage when my friend came to help do the 4x4labs bumper and he laughed at me, asking if I got the wrong tire. I was like what do you mean?? He said there is no way that is the same size as what is one my truck, I had to roll it over to the 80 to prove it. Ha

You may find the 50k fluid too much. I put 30k in mine and wound up with it being engaged nearly constantly.

Those 35s look great. Im liking the mild lift/35s/no flares look on these trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom