Builds Lumpy the LandCruiser (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a long process and labor of love, and I sure love a clean 2F!

1588200164813.png

(I have all new OEM hoses on the shelf waiting to go in... that's just last on the list).

I can't believe I did this... I was looking through some old pictures of the rebuild, and realized, I put the head gasket on backwards! DAMNIT! I'm so pissed off right now! Not only did I have to drop $130 on a new gasket because the old one was already torqued down, I have to take the head off again and reinstall it!

1588289992618.png

but if its put on correctly, the below hole gets blocked... that doesnt make sense to me.It's an OEM gasket from Toyota. # 11115-61030
1588290202290.png

That's far better than discovering that problem by destroying your motor.

EDIT: Went back through the thread and confirmed you haven't posted that HG picture before, so I'm glad we didn't miss it on your behalf! Also, the hole in the front isn't what's important, it's the two coolant passages in the back of the block that get blocked, which cause cylinders 5/6 to overheat very quickly and melt down.

@GLTHFJ60 Like you said, sure glad I discovered it now! I realized it when I put the water pump on. The tab was in the way, at the time I didn't think much of it, and cut it out of the way with a chisel. Then I started thinking about it and started looking at old pictures of my install. I don't know how I put it on backwards. I've done plenty of HG's before, just not on a 2F, but regardless... stupid is, stupid does. I had quite a bit on my mind when I installed it. Now I'm just waiting for the new gasket to arrive from the Toyota man.

@GLTHFJ60 Like you said, sure glad I discovered it now! I realized it when I put the water pump on. The tab was in the way, at the time I didn't think much of it, and cut it out of the way with a chisel. Then I started thinking about it and started looking at old pictures of my install. I don't know how I put it on backwards. I've done plenty of HG's before, just not on a 2F, but regardless... stupid is, stupid does. I had quite a bit on my mind when I installed it. Now I'm just waiting for the new gasket to arrive from the Toyota man.
We all have brain farts. All of us. And we all have a lot of extra weight to carry recently. Good news is that you caught it. Your subconscious was actually looking out for you. Good catch.

Got the new headgasket and replaced it yesterday... Crisis averted. Now I can keep moving forward. Only took a little over an hour to do. I'm just happy I caught it before the intake/exhaust manifold was on. Man I feel dumb!

1589032129074.png
1589032167010.png

Lordy that thing is HEAVY! I made a platform across the front frame rails to set it on while I got in position to lift it back into place. Worked out pretty good!
1589032227059.png

Those following might have noticed I changed the title of my thread from "60-Series Revitalization and Back Story (Pic Heavy)" to "Lumpy the LandCruiser". My family keeps saying this project is lumping along, and the kids want to go for a ride, so they came up with the name Lumpy.

I embraced it and It's fitting, so I think I finally have a name for her. "Lumpy" 😊

More work on Lumpy... Got the first of many new hoses installed! I found a picture from my teardown to see the before and after. A whole lot of scrubbing... and a few new parts. :cool:
Before:
1591375069389.png

After:
1591375112661.png

It is amazing how much grime that engine had. Must have been leaking oil like crazy and the PO never fixed it.

@lcolon In the first 6 months of ownership, I probably only put a couple hundred miles if that, before I started tearing it apart, but in that time no oil leaked on the floor of the garage... and I would check the oil regularly, with no oil burn. The main culprit was the power steering. The pump was shot. The PO told me when he would drive it he would fill it up and it would work for a short while, then he'd eventually lose pressure in the power steering. When I bought it, the PS didn't work at all. I filled it just to see what I was dealing with and watched it just pour out onto the floor.
1591651118624.png

I got the alternator brackets all cleaned up.
Primed:
1591651523494.png

Brackets painted, hardware cleaned. Ready to install.
1591651557587.png

After reading a little about which alternator to get, I got the AC Delco/NipponDenso #3341599 from Rock Auto in the 2 o'clock position. Everything lines up, but it's quite a bit different than the alternator that was on there. I don't know very much about alternators, but I think the VR is internal on the new one. Should I run this? I need to swap pulley's, also there is a yellow wire in the back, should I put that on the new one as well?
I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks

1591652489118.png

1591652531024.png

TTT - hoping to get an answer before I swap the pulley in case I need to send it back.

Looking at the Pulley, I don’t think I can swap it. The stud is larger than the original and I would have to drill out my Pulley to fit. Too much room for error, especially on a new alternator. Guess I’ll be sending it back. Anyone have a different alternator they know works?

I would measure it to be sure. It looks kinda like the FJ80 alternator but clocked better. I would try putting the FJ60 fan & pulley on the new alt before sending it back.

Last edited:
If it is the 80 alt - 2 things - 1. you need to swap the pulley over from the stock one. Take it off / put it on with an impact gun. 2. The fan on the new alt will need the corners ground down a little so it will clear the stock bracket.

I got an 80 series pigtail connector and spliced that in when I changed over. You can get it from @Coolerman

I was able to swap the pulley (had to get a thin walled 15/16 socket to get the pulley off the new alt, but my pulley fit. i didn't think it was going to just by looking at it because the stud head was smaller on the original alt, but once off, the hole is bigger and fit the new alt. Cleaned my old pulley up and everything bolted up nicely.
1591980065931.png

I'm itching to get this thing running. Hope the wife gives me more time to work on it soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom