Builds Lumpy the LandCruiser

I can't believe I did this... I was looking through some old pictures of the rebuild, and realized, I put the head gasket on backwards! DAMNIT! I'm so pissed off right now! Not only did I have to drop $130 on a new gasket because the old one was already torqued down, I have to take the head off again and reinstall it!

1588289992618.png

but if its put on correctly, the below hole gets blocked... that doesnt make sense to me.It's an OEM gasket from Toyota. # 11115-61030
1588290202290.png

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star

That's far better than discovering that problem by destroying your motor.

EDIT: Went back through the thread and confirmed you haven't posted that HG picture before, so I'm glad we didn't miss it on your behalf! Also, the hole in the front isn't what's important, it's the two coolant passages in the back of the block that get blocked, which cause cylinders 5/6 to overheat very quickly and melt down.

@GLTHFJ60 Like you said, sure glad I discovered it now! I realized it when I put the water pump on. The tab was in the way, at the time I didn't think much of it, and cut it out of the way with a chisel. Then I started thinking about it and started looking at old pictures of my install. I don't know how I put it on backwards. I've done plenty of HG's before, just not on a 2F, but regardless... stupid is, stupid does. I had quite a bit on my mind when I installed it. Now I'm just waiting for the new gasket to arrive from the Toyota man.

@GLTHFJ60 Like you said, sure glad I discovered it now! I realized it when I put the water pump on. The tab was in the way, at the time I didn't think much of it, and cut it out of the way with a chisel. Then I started thinking about it and started looking at old pictures of my install. I don't know how I put it on backwards. I've done plenty of HG's before, just not on a 2F, but regardless... stupid is, stupid does. I had quite a bit on my mind when I installed it. Now I'm just waiting for the new gasket to arrive from the Toyota man.
We all have brain farts. All of us. And we all have a lot of extra weight to carry recently. Good news is that you caught it. Your subconscious was actually looking out for you. Good catch.

Got the new headgasket and replaced it yesterday... Crisis averted. Now I can keep moving forward. Only took a little over an hour to do. I'm just happy I caught it before the intake/exhaust manifold was on. Man I feel dumb!

1589032129074.png
1589032167010.png

Lordy that thing is HEAVY! I made a platform across the front frame rails to set it on while I got in position to lift it back into place. Worked out pretty good!
1589032227059.png

Those following might have noticed I changed the title of my thread from "60-Series Revitalization and Back Story (Pic Heavy)" to "Lumpy the LandCruiser". My family keeps saying this project is lumping along, and the kids want to go for a ride, so they came up with the name Lumpy.

I embraced it and It's fitting, so I think I finally have a name for her. "Lumpy" 😊

Top Bottom