LS 5.3 Swap on the dyno (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the meth injection working exactly as I had hoped. Working on production pieces. The meth inj will let me advance the timing and take advantage of the higher octane.

I need to repair a bad wheel spindle before I can start doing dyno runs. But there is a local dyno shop that is hurting for business so I can do $50 tests.

Oh I would be very surprised if the 100 was anywhere near 265whp. In stock form the most powerful 2UZ was only 275hp.

The 5.3 seems to be a waste unless your going for a cheap easy way and able to pull it off yourself. The 6.2 is what you guys should be gunning for on your turbo. I think I saw Scott post RWHP is close to 265’ish in a 100 series. I have 1000’s of pages to read to catch up on your turbo so figured I would just ask. You see gains near this number on your turbo at any point? You have any numbers with the meth injection? Convince me to keep this brick and just rebuild it and slap on your turbo kit. Turns out Robbie relocated his shop just down the road if still around and there is always Slee if you have the patience to wait to get in.

The 5.3 seems to be a waste unless your going for a cheap easy way and able to pull it off yourself. The 6.2 is what you guys should be gunning for on your turbo. I think I saw Scott post RWHP is close to 265’ish in a 100 series. I have 1000’s of pages to read to catch up on your turbo so figured I would just ask. You see gains near this number on your turbo at any point? You have any numbers with the meth injection? Convince me to keep this brick and just rebuild it and slap on your turbo kit. Turns out Robbie relocated his shop just down the road if still around and there is always Slee if you have the patience to wait to get in.

You need to make that decision for yourself. There are lots of options and tons of info out there. Have you talked to robbie about a rebuild? It's going to run $12 to $15k (last i talked to him and that was 5 years ago). Then you'll need to buy the turbo on top of it. I don't really talk to slee much despite them being a couple miles from my house. I assume they'd be similar on the rebuild, but i think robbie is a better bet for anyone.

Any horsepower number being touted is peak. And a turbo will always be mid to high in the rpm range, especially the way this one is setup.

I'm having a hard time calling a 5.3 a waste. Perhaps if you're chasing a single horsepower number. But gm has put a ton of money into researching peak torque and optimizing power where needed for a truck. If you want to make more ponies with a 5.3, you can make some nice gains sub $1k. A new intake (tbss), a cam, some valve work can get another 50 to 100 hp. Not to mention there are a billion guys in denver selling tunes or another billion mail order options to help move the power where you want.

As i said earlier, its more about longevity and support. Again, that's not a slam on joey. It's more about there are 1000's of shops supporting gm performance.

Scott, just to be clear, you mention of 265RWHP on the 100 was a 6.2 erod implant I believe. I would assume the 80 would be close to that. Sorry , can’t seem to find the post.
Lazy, I was all about going the v8 route but starting to second guess it. My motor is still strong (for an underpowered brick) and only at 150k or so, it just burns oil some, guessing I’m not looking at a full build. I would just want to make sure that if/ when I make the move I’m good for some time. That and as I’m sure you know emissions can be a PITA here in CO so not sure I want to deal with that and the issues that come with it.
If I could do the full implant myself, if less than 10 years and feel comfortable with it.... different story... but this being something I could pull off and keep the 80 somewhat original is starting to sound more appealing.

@lazy no worries. Only thing special about my setup is the piping and some CNC bits. Everything else is off the shelf or I have tons of spares. I planned for long time support when I developed the kit.

It's not just your kit I worry about, it's support around the whole platform as well....and the expense in keeping it going. It's obviously a path I'm marching down though....

Scott, just to be clear, you mention of 265RWHP on the 100 was a 6.2 erod implant I believe. I would assume the 80 would be close to that. Sorry , can’t seem to find the post.
Lazy, I was all about going the v8 route but starting to second guess it. My motor is still strong (for an underpowered brick) and only at 150k or so, it just burns oil some, guessing I’m not looking at a full build. I would just want to make sure that if/ when I make the move I’m good for some time. That and as I’m sure you know emissions can be a PITA here in CO so not sure I want to deal with that and the issues that come with it.
If I could do the full implant myself, if less than 10 years and feel comfortable with it.... different story... but this being something I could pull off and keep the 80 somewhat original is starting to sound more appealing.

For sure, that is the appeal of the turbo kit. Pm and you can stop by anytime if you ever want to talk shop. My turbo is on order and my rebuild of the 1fzfe is currently ongoing. So is the rabbit hole of prepping my 'ls rig' for emissions inspection.

When we gonna see some sweet street pulls, highway merges, etc of some these turbo kitted trucks?! Lot of them installed by now, but nobody showing off.

When we gonna see some sweet street pulls, highway merges, etc of some these turbo kitted trucks?! Lot of them installed by now, but nobody showing off.

because everyone's only running 5lbs like it's 2004 :lol:

Hard to beat what Toyota put together when you think the 1fz came out in 1993, that said ls motors are cheep hp, they run hard and last 250k + miles. My guess was 240hp at the tires, the usually loose 100hp thru the driveline,

The truck motors come with a very week cam and a crappy emissions tune. Try a real small drop in cam, summit, Elgin, and many others have good Truck cams, take a look at Richard holdner‘s cam tests on YouTube. The hard thing to get with a 5.3 is torque Down in rpm

Last edited:
Any other LS swap guys have dyne numbers?
Their are lots of dyno videos on youtube with crank dyno results for LS engine, but not much for wheel power dyno on a 80 series. Richard Holdner's channel specifically has lots of LS dyno numbers at the crank of various forms and sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom