Looking at this FJ40 tomorrow, any obvious red flags? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yotadude520

Mini-Truck Enthusiast
Threads
Going to look at this 40 tomorrow after work and think it looks to be in good shape and is a fair price. Few things I've noticed:

fj40 1.jpg

fj406.jpg

fj402.jpg

fj405.jpg

• Seems very rust free, some rust on the side steps. Curious to see what's behind the diamond plate
  • Looks like the exhaust is coming out of the side of the frame?
  • Interior floor was bedlined, going to see if there's any rust underneath.

Other than that anything else I should look for besides the obvious things you look at when buying a new vehicle?

If I do buy it, who wants first dibs on the bra?? :rofl:

Is it a Chevota? Looks like steering is aftermarket.

GLWP

Is it a Chevota? Looks like steering is aftermarket.

GLWP

I don't believe so, says it's the inline 6 with a Holley carb.

What is the thing on the shifter cane?

the front anti inversion shackles are backwards they won’t work that way. i agree with some of the typical oil leaks. depends on the price and how it’s running it looks like a sold place to start if you don’t plan on a full on restoration. if it’s to drive wheel and have fun you’d have a solid start

Look for rust around the bottom of the door seals too. Look at the shape of the knuckles, how caked up they are. Leaks aren’t the worst thing. It at least means the owner is keeping fluids in it.
Are the fenders cut under the flares?

Speedo cable looks way too long. Routed and wire tied to the torque tub. It's a 77 but roll bar not sure has the right side bars. The the back radius was sharper for the handle for the vent window. The diamond plate is a big red flag for me. Price would have to be low enough to count for a rear sill and quarter panel replacement. That running board rusted from the inside out. Simple making sure it was plugged would have prevented that. Same thing happens on the rear sill even in areas without salt. Seen it here in AZ.

Agree with diamond plate…. 50 years ago in Vermont I remember a few FJ40’s where the rear quarter diamond plate covered huge body holes eaten away from salt.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll be sure to update with my findings.

Today is tomorrow from when you posted yesterday. Ha!

What is the verdict? I’d like to see more pictures. How much are they asking?
That is correct! Within the next hour I'll be underneath this thing going through it like a fine tooth comb.

Updates to come..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom