Let's talk about reciever winching (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this is a ways off, I am really just formulating ideas at this point. I plan to build front and rear bumpers for the LX at some point in the future. I currently have a Warn 9.5ti on the '62 that I will likely put on the LX. My original thought was to make a front winch mount bumper, but the 9.5ti is pretty big and would require chopping up the grille if I were to fit it "high and tight." Not that I'm really opposed to that, but it's not really the right winch for a slick looking bumper.

Then I thought, "what about a reciever basket?" I could make my front bumper much more approach-angle friendly and probably lighter. I could also winch from the rear if I ever needed to, assuming I ran some wires back there. The other benefit is I could leave the winch locked up in the garage when I'm making trips to the needlepoint emporium to save some weight.

I'll be honest, I own the winch as a safety net, and thankfully have not really needed it to date. I have no real recovery experience, just messing around, pulling logs, etc. What are the benefits and drawbacks of reciever winching vs. a permanently mounted winch? Should I run dual batteries in order to keep the wiring sane (assuming front and rear wiring)? I'd love to hear from some of the more experienced folks.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I'm curious to hear about this as well. Warn makes hitch mounts for winches. I have seen front-hitch mounted winches mounted on government trucks.
I thought about cutting my AOE bumper to add a hitch to the front for this reason.

Seems like I remember guys stating that they are good for straight pulls, and not for side pulling. I do like the idea of being able to remove the winch.

I have a buddy with a Lewis Chainsaw winch. The thing is bad ass. Only thing I dont like is staring down the winch line during pulls.

I thought about this several years ago when I made a back bumper for my 45. I added a 2" receiver with a shackle tab on each side of it. I bought a HF winch cradle and my plan was to add diagonals from the cradle to the shackle tabs for lateral strength on side pulls.

I have yet to run cables to the back of my truck so have never gotten a chance to use it. Although I use my front winch almost every time I wheel.

Truth be told, I have not really needed it. If I am first to get stuck in a hole, the people behind me can pull me out or I can winch forward, if am last to get stuck, myself or someone else in front can pull me through.

this looks like a safe alternative!

Until you start breaking wheel studs. Not impressed with the demo. The "mud" was just some wet dirt.

Yeah, the attachment method is a little sketchy.

there is another video in sand. The land anchors seems pretty nice...

They are "a great little item"!!

so, about those receiver cradles for the winch... anybody have any input?

I saw a receiver mount badly twisted before. Are there mounts that use two receivers like snowplow mounts? Most times that I need a winch I could never get at a receiver mount to install it because of being against a bank or agaianst a hill. If you run with it installed there goes your approach/depart angles. There are times on my 40s that I have a hard time getting to the winch mounted high with a big lift.

I have no doubt you can make a hitch to support it but I agree with Howard, the end you need to pull from will be buried, submersed, or otherwise rather impossible to attach your winch to when you need it. Hopefully you'll be able to pull the other direction.

Some old school military axle flanges had holes in them for a breaker bar that allowed you to winch this way.

wheelwinch.jpg

I don't have an overwhelming need for that kind of option, but that rings true for most of the **** on my truck. I'd consider a set if they were available.

Some old school military axle flanges had holes in them for a breaker bar that allowed you to winch this way.

View attachment 956743

I don't have an overwhelming need for that kind of option, but that rings true for most of the **** on my truck. I'd consider a set if they were available.
I think its a very clever and lightweight method for a good deal of self extraction, but the price on the set in the video above is as much as a winch, its crazy. I thought about making a set...then didn't because I am just going to but a winch.

Back to the original topic...

How about a channel integrated into your bumper that the winch cradle can sit in?

Untitled.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom