Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I think this is happening.....

20190617_183709.jpg

Not going to do an auto....I think this truck will go 5 speed. A certain member on here kind of put the bug in my head and I can't shake it. Right now it looks like a sweet low mileage 1HZ-T with a H151 behind it. I was going to do a 1HDT with the auto but I think that might get put away for the next one. Maybe the 1HDT with the H151? Open to any input....

A little worried about how the shifter will locate....the body is for an R151....seems those sit about 7" further back than the H151's shifter. Hope this isn't too close to the dash....maybe an 80 series shifter will help with clearance if there is an issue. I can always shift around the engine/trans if I need to.

There has to be a H150/151 application in an airbag dash truck.....not sure which model that would be. Maybe there isn't one...

First up, really enjoying the build. Keep the photos coming. :)

There has to be a H150/151 application in an airbag dash truck.....not sure which model that would be. Maybe there isn't one...

All of the Australian specs use a H150 or H152 gearbox with the airbag dash, it shouldn't be an issue. Plenty of pictures around for the layout, you may also be able to get the floor plates.

Got another one of these boxes of goodness.
20190617_112701.jpg

Some more window stuff, steering column cover and an ash tray. Not too exciting but always fun....
20190617_113412.jpg

First up, really enjoying the build. Keep the photos coming. :)

All of the Australian specs use a H150 or H152 gearbox with the airbag dash, it shouldn't be an issue. Plenty of pictures around for the layout, you may also be able to get the floor plates.

I guess I was getting hung up on the LHD vs RHD but that won't matter...except for the shifter(or maybe it doesn't on a 7X).

I think my other issue is that when I did the #1 truck, I installed the 1FZ on the OEM frame mounts....it located the motor a little too far forward for the 79 cab. So I'm thinking on this truck, I will move the motor mounts into a position where the motor sits properly in respect to the body...OR line up my trans on the stock shifter openings(if they are even close). My rough measurements today got them pretty close to the dash.

Will be easy to do once I have things mounted in the chassis.....might as well start pricing out some new frame mounts for the motor....

Will the H151 and H55 have significantly different positions in relation to how they set in reference to the transmission tunnel?

Good question....I want to say that the H151 is a touch longer than the H55. Today I'm going to explore how to relocate the trans shifter....I will need to get it forward of the shifter.....I see where some are configured in the rear. I believe this is an 80s setup. My goal is to not have to mess around with the floor....I'd like to just line up the motor/trans with the body and then weld the frame mounts for the motor where they need to go. Not sure if that is smart or not. Maybe easier to change the floor around.

Probably best to figure all this out once the engine and trans are mated up and I can take some measurements.

Today.....I hunt for a 1HZ flywheel I think.

This is how I think I'll need to move the transfer lever. Just need to figure out where this trans/transfer comes from....I would guess the one on the right is a 70 series unit....left is an 80.

shifter side by side.JPG

This is how I think I'll need to move the transfer lever. Just need to figure out where this trans/transfer comes from....I would guess the one on the right is a 70 series unit....left is an 80.

View attachment 2006460
I think you are right, the left is from a 80. I have a H151 and 1HD-FT that came out of a 80. I changed the lever to the pic on the right. The cross member holes are about 3/4" off the way I put the combination in. I can't remember if I cut the floor or not. I do remember flattening the the floor joint just behind the shifters underneath to gain another 1" of upward spacing. This is in a 78 frame.

We take apart a lot of cars from a number of different manufacturers in our normal day-to-day work.... ...one of the few vehicles we NEVER have to use Torx tools for is LCs.....I thought this was pretty interesting that the only Torx hardware I have found on these trucks is in the door jambs...the latch assembly and the catch both have Torx hardware. Threw me for a loop the other day when I was swapping things around....

View attachment 2003970

You can get the normal hardware for that.

4E63C058-345C-4C63-87D0-C05D63E4A1DF.jpeg

I can’t recall if these were all that was available (updated?) or if I ordered them on purpose or by accident.

8AFE450B-CD21-4BBF-81EA-B7801ECB37B0.jpeg

Cheers

I think you are right, the left is from a 80. I have a H151 and 1HD-FT that came out of a 80. I changed the lever to the pic on the right. The cross member holes are about 3/4" off the way I put the combination in. I can't remember if I cut the floor or not. I do remember flattening the the floor joint just behind the shifters underneath to gain another 1" of upward spacing. This is in a 78 frame.

Good info....

Haven't had time yet to go find out what I'll need to move the shifter. Would probably be good to find it used....I'm sure it's out there.

Here is a look down you can see where the shifter mounts to. Don’t know if there is enough clearance for everything since I haven’t gotten that far.

View attachment 2006830

Ah....it'a just a base....that makes sense. Probably not that many parts to make it happen...base, rod, maybe a different shift lever?

Thats really helpful. I couldn't quite figure out why the transfer levers were in different spots.

What's really weird is the 100 series H151 box with a REALLY far back mounted shifter for non-bench seat trucks. It's way back on the trans....

Premise #1 .... I don't know squat about transmissions other than they are the do-dad that is mated to the rear of the engine. :)

Is the H151 simply a newer generation H55 and is it considered a superior transmission?

Premise #1 .... I don't know squat about transmissions other than they are the do-dad that is mated to the rear of the engine. :)

Is the H151 simply a newer generation H55 and is it considered a superior transmission?

Possible can of worms.

There is so much info on Mud about them, it's overwhelming. The H150/151 really seems to be a great trans. There is a H152 that seems to combine the best gears of the 150 and the 151. The R151 is the medium duty trans......doesn't get such a good rap.

This was a cool video...no idea where the one dude is looking but it's informative. That H150 is a beast!

Seems I found the parts I need to get the transfer lever more forward....VDJ79 with an H150 trans.
5f9816c5be3c0ece9810529e492dee1e.png
3634660030-0.jpg

Pretty cool as they will bolt to these 3 holes that are probably in all the cases(H151 from an 80 shown)

20170315_130519__84071.1489609426.jpg

And then this cool plate.... need to to some measuring to compare this to what I have. Maybe my setup is the same...maybe it will work as is.

IMG_0699.jpg

This just keeps getting better.

We're getting ready to move the front cross member forward(so the radiator clears it)....going to work on cutting it out next week and prepping the frame. Figured I would buy a new one. Probably a total waste of money as a sturdy piece of box tubing or some heavy wall round tubing would make for a logical cross member.....kind of thought it was neat you could still buy these pieces right from the good people at Toyota. Certainly will look legit and the amount of time it would take to clean up the one coming out to go back in would far outweigh the cost of the new one. As usual....trying to work smarter. Seems to cost more though. 🤔

I had the guys make up a quick bar to keep the frame rails in position when we cut out the support...no idea if they will move or not but since there were holes there....might as well use them.

20190620_144923.jpg
20190620_144934.jpg
20190620_144950.jpg

Your making it look easier showing the new parts. If I didn’t already order radiator #2 (60 series) I would probably commit to cutting the crossmember. I’m trying my best to keep everything bolt on, except the body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom