Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of these showed up.....from the UAE this time.

20190613_143351.jpg

Door parts this time. This is the actuator for the power door lock, the latch assembly, lock button and a window channel for the window regulator....it uses a bolt on style channel for the power window. The 76 interior only had one channel and it was bent. I ended my streak of buying correct parts...bought the door lock button for a regular manual window and no power locks👎

Bought a new ignition cylinder, keys and door locks. I thought the set I got came with gas cap lock but it didn't. Need to figure out how to order those. I would assume a locksmith could fix them up. Nice to have one key for everything.

20190613_150243.jpg

Door latch assemblies WAY different with power

20190613_171741.jpg
20190613_174615.jpg

Used some non-OEM Toyota screws to attach the solenoid to the latch. Hope I can be forgiven. I blurred the pic so it can't be held against me.
20190613_171852.jpg

Finished my hood project today. May have created a more of a headache for myself though. I used the Second Skin Audio's MegaZorbe Pro adhesive backed foam/foil hood insulation. It didn't quite grab hard enough in the deep areas....well it did, but they came back up. I tried to do it in pieces so it was more conforming. What a pain in the ass. This morning a lot of the areas had popped up....so I carefully peeled those areas back and used 3M Super 90 contact adhesive to get it down. That worked great. You can't have exposed seams or see the foam on the edges......so I sealed up all the seams with the same aluminized fiberglass heat shield I used on the firewall(you're supposed to use aluminum tape but that looked really dumb). I used the 3M contact adhesive on all the aluminized heat shield stuff too. I feel like they bonded well but I see a few pieces that aren't so locked down. Maybe I'll re-do those. Maybe I'll rip it all off. I used Dynaliner on #1 and it has held up like a champ...used the thick stuff...1/2" I think.

I bet I have 10 hours in this project. NOT good time usage at all!

Starting with the center section....
20190612_143449_HDR.jpg

Here it is all finished up, seams sealed, edges locked down. Who knows...maybe it will hold. I could always use some Christmas tree style fasteners to hold it down in certain areas I suppose. I know one thing......if it has to come off, the shop helper is going to have a really fun time with it.

20190613_150210_HDR.jpg

It looks really nice in person and I know it will work. When I put that Dynaliner on #1, the sound in the truck dropped significantly. It was kind of shocking as I recall. I would think that the sound travels thru the windshield....or upper cowl. Really quiet and this hood is WAY more deadened than the #1's hood.
20190613_150221_HDR.jpg

I've been playing around with a Ferrari 348....they have 3 foam panels on their rear deck lid, right over the motor. It's a strange foam...kind of gooey, kind of heavy(as a young guy I worked on 348s when they were newish....I can remember the foam very clearly back then...when it was new. Now it's just a crumbling brown mess). I was reading somewhere in my research on what to replace it with that on a lot of European cars, they used a type of foam that would fall off(melt off?) the underside of the hood in the event of a fire and smother the fire or whatever was going on. Not sure if that was true or not.

At the risk of being callous. ...

It's a WORK TRUCK, not a Rolls Royce. I like it when my diesel Land Cruiser sounds like a diesel Land Cruiser. :doh:

If I was looking for a quiet place to drive I'd buy a Prius. THANK GAWD I don't need that. :lol:

At the risk of being callous. ...

It's a WORK TRUCK, not a Rolls Royce. I like it when my diesel Land Cruiser sounds like a diesel Land Cruiser. :doh:

If I was looking for a quiet place to drive I'd buy a Prius. THANK GAWD I don't need that. :lol:

Lol....I can get really carried away if you haven't figured that out. Lol. I use and test a lot of products on my own builds so when we do them on customer projects, we have a good handle on how to do them correctly/effectively. Nothing worse than trying something out on a customer's vehicle only to have it not work....not to mention having to go back and fix it. We have such a wide variety of work...it seems we are always able to implement the things we do on my builds on those.

It's also possible I've been spending far too much time driving fancy Mercedes cars.

Ah HA! There we have it. :lol:

In all fairness.....it's partly to blame on the MBs. I have an 08 LX570 that is probably one of THE quietest vehicles I have ever been in. Quieter than some of the mega expensive brand spanking new MBs we work on. I can guarantee there is no 11 year old MB that is as quiet as that 570. I think I'm trying to make everything into that Lexus. Ha.

Riding in my Ute would be a real assault on your senses. :lol:

I doubt it. Lol.

THIS was all the assaulting to my senses I needed. For the rest of my life.

PC235334.jpg

Built a bunch of these today as our first run was completely sold out. A big thanks to all of you who bought them! And to those who haven't.....we will have plenty in inventory.

20190614_171321.jpg

I love mine. Thank you!

No. The brackets are way different.

Messed around inside the cab today.....installed the mass loaded vinyl sheets in the floor boards and on the tunnel....came up with a different way to overlap the sheets. I'm really trying to button up the interior so we can start with wiring pretty soon. Trying not to leave a lot of loose ends or things I have to come back to.

AND.....we are now a Scheel-Mann seat dealer. Really excited about this. The #2 truck is getting a driver's seat and my lead tech is going to do some in his well setup F250.

We'll both be going with the Vario F. I'll do heat and an armrest on mine. Today I was obsessing over the swatches we got. This is what is winning so far. The colors aren't an exact match to the Toyota grey but they'll work.
20190614_161331.jpg

20190614_161324.jpg

The small grey one is the full leather...it's the closest but I really don't want a full leather seat(or do I)...kind of like the charcoal and the 5 bar for the inserts. 5 bar is a silver cloth with a bit of texture in the 5 bar pattern.....it's interesting and almost has an OEM appearance.

Scheel-Mann will provide additional material so I can have the passenger bench done to match the driver's seat. That will be pretty cool.....

Last edited:
Are the wide nose and narrow nose kits interchangeable? Asking for a particular reason..... 😉

WAY different brackets....I can swap them out though....no big deal.

Wide nose conversion......NICE!

WAY different brackets....I can swap them out though....no big deal.

Wide nose conversion......NICE!

Yeah after I typed it I realized how off they would be.
Right on, I appreciate it. I'll hit you up when I'm ready.

It's looking that way, got a decent deal I couldn't pass up. Need to decide on VDJ or HZJ hood to order. Scoop or no scoop...
Hopefully I can unload all of the new/replacement 75-Series front end stuff I bought. :D

Scoop!

Scoop would be really cool!

Well that's more of a "vroom - vroom - vroom" whereas mine is more of a "clack - clack - clack". :)

There was all kinds of noise in that Model A....at one point a rather large bang as I recall.

We take apart a lot of cars from a number of different manufacturers in our normal day-to-day work.... ...one of the few vehicles we NEVER have to use Torx tools for is LCs.....I thought this was pretty interesting that the only Torx hardware I have found on these trucks is in the door jambs...the latch assembly and the catch both have Torx hardware. Threw me for a loop the other day when I was swapping things around....

20190613_173321_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom