LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 4 physical buttons do not work, do they need to be mapped? Does anyone know the procedure for button mapping?

The GPS coordinates are correct but the displayed altitude is off by ~35m. I live at about 100ft (32m) but the display is showing between -3 and -8 m is there a way to reset or adjust? I tried a long press similar to what is needed to reset the inclination display but that didn't work.
I never was able to make mine to work... And Rhino was horrible to deal with.

I'm living with it.

Hi,

I have a 2006 HDJ100 and am about to pull the trigger on a Tesla style HU.
But it seems there are atleat two versions: the Klyde and the one Rhino and others sell.
Which one is the best at the moment?
021547FA-5B96-47C2-A30D-029AF04B38DC.jpeg
6B6D2823-223D-44AB-8DBA-F7CA537E60F5.jpeg
73C42A96-FBB8-4C18-8DBB-746B11A72BF5.jpeg
8763DF23-79F8-440F-8456-04387F274055.jpeg

I'd avoid Rhino at all cost.

The 4 physical buttons do not work, do they need to be mapped? Does anyone know the procedure for button mapping?

The GPS coordinates are correct but the displayed altitude is off by ~35m. I live at about 100ft (32m) but the display is showing between -3 and -8 m is there a way to reset or adjust? I tried a long press similar to what is needed to reset the inclination display but that didn't work.
The 4 physical buttons do not work AFAIK. The touchscreen controls will do the same functions, but may take some messing around with them to figure out the exact procedures

The 4 physical buttons do not work AFAIK. The touchscreen controls will do the same functions, but may take some messing around with them to figure out the exact procedures
They do work. I've personally seen them work on another LX like mine. That's why I was so pissed at Rhino for not doing anything to help.

Someone told me that if the display controls work, the physical's one have to... It might be poor wiring connections or a bad plug.

For me is not worth the hassle to remove the radio and dik around for hours to find the issue. Might break something else in the process.

Last edited:
Phoenix offers appointments for tech support. I am going to signup for a slot but am swamped for the next week or so.

Anyone have experience with an aftermarket backup camera wired to the factory camera connector in the tailgate? Or just using an aftermarket camera in general? I'd love a good explanation of how to wire it, picture appreciated

I installed an aftermarket camera in the location of the factory camera. I wired the camera to always have power so I could look behind me while driving forward in addition to having the automatic display once in reverse. Installation was surprising easy, the hardest part was running the wires inside the driver side of the lift gate.

Basically you need to run 4 wires -
1. Video RCA cable from Camera to Head unit.
2. Trigger cable from reverse source to Head unit.
3. Pos+ cable from + source to camera.
4. Neg- cable from - source to camera.

I bought:
1. Backup camera ~$35 - I wanted one with parking lines so it was a couple $ more.
2. Power Rectifier ~$15 - Maybe overkill but I figured since the camera would be always powered might as well give it clean power.
3. 5ft - 10ft RCA Cable - The camera comes with a cable but having pulled connectors off other cables I like to use a shorter one to pull through to the hatch and not ruin the long one. Also the RCA cable supplied with the camera had an integrated trigger wire which only need to run from the reverse light to the headunit (not all the way into the liftgate) which means are only routing 1 physical cable to the front of the vehicle. The 5 - 10 ft RCA cable runs from the camera to just inside the headliner of the car at which point it joins to the longer cable that came with the camera. You will need an RCA butt connector, my camera came with one.
4. 25ft 18ga speaker wire ~$10. Any 2 conductor will do here

I did not take pictures during the install but I've made some terrible sketches of where I ran the wires.

Here is my camera installed

Camera Image 1.jpg

I tapped into the rear 12V outlet on the driver side for power (red and black). I ran a pair of wires and the video RCA cable up the rear driver side pillar, across the head liner, and out through the rubber hose connected to the lift gate. I tapped into the rear driver reverse light for the trigger wire (purple). The trigger (purple) and video (yellow) were then run to the front of the car along the driver side rear trim piece, under the door thresholds, up the the driver kick panel, and across to the head unit.

Camera Image 3.jpg

The power (red and black) and the video cables were run along the driver side of the lift gate and then to the camera in the center of the lift gate. Running the wires along the driver side of the lift gate was the hardest part only because it took me a while to find something i could pass through the bends and other wires along that section of the lift gate. I ended up using a couple pieces of 3D printer filament. There are 3 or 4 holes where clips attach to the gate and I would fish the wires between the holes. Once through that section there is plenty of room in the middle of the gate to make the power and video connections to the camera.

Camera Image 2.jpg

The camera is attached to a piece of 1/4" black starboard which is then bolted through the same holes used by the factory camera. I used lock washers and wing nuts on the inside of the gate. By removing the license plate lights I was able to put some thick grease on my finger and get the wing nut in position and started. Then I used some curved needle nose pliers to hold the wing nut while tightening the screws. I should have used 3/8" or 1/2" thick starboard because the 1/4" was too thin and I was getting some of the trim in the camera view. Right now there is a stack of 3 or 4 washers between 1/4" starboard and the lift gate but the camera is in a great position.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
I installed an aftermarket camera in the location of the factory camera. I wired the camera to always have power so I could look behind me while driving forward in addition to having the automatic display once in reverse. Installation was surprising easy, the hardest part was running the wires inside the driver side of the lift gate.

Basically you need to run 4 wires -
1. Video RCA cable from Camera to Head unit.
2. Trigger cable from reverse source to Head unit.
3. Pos+ cable from + source to camera.
4. Neg- cable from - source to camera.

I bought:
1. Backup camera ~$35 - I wanted one with parking lines so it was a couple $ more.
2. Power Rectifier ~$15 - Maybe overkill but I figured since the camera would be always powered might as well give it clean power.
3. 5ft RCA Cable - The camera comes with a cable but having pulled connectors off other cables I like to use a shorter one to pull through to the hatch and not ruin the long one. This cable runs from the camera to just inside the headliner of the car at which point it joins to the longer cable that came with the camera. You will need an RCA butt connector, my camera came with one.
4. 25ft 18ga speaker wire ~$10. Any 2 conductor will do here

I did not take pictures during the install but I've made some terrible sketches of where I ran the wires.

Here is my camera installed

View attachment 2571620

I tapped into the rear 12V outlet on the driver side for power (red and black). I ran a pair of wires and the video RCA cable up the rear driver side pillar, across the head liner, and out through the rubber hose connected to the lift gate. I tapped into the rear driver reverse light for the trigger wire (purple). The trigger (purple) and video (yellow) were then run to the front of the car along the driver side rear trim piece, under the door thresholds, up the the driver kick panel, and across to the head unit.

View attachment 2571671

The power (red and black) and the video cables were run along the driver side of the lift gate and then to the camera in the center of the lift gate. Running the wires along the driver side of the lift gate was the hardest part only because it took me a while to find something i could pass through the bends and other wires along that section of the lift gate. I ended up using a couple pieces of 3D printer filament. There are 3 or 4 holes where clips attach to the gate and I would fish the wires between the holes. Once through that section there is plenty of room in the middle of the gate to make the power and video connections to the camera.

View attachment 2571672

The camera is attached to a piece of 1/4" black starboard which is then bolted through the same holes used by the factory camera. I used lock washers and wing nuts on the inside of the gate. By removing the license plate lights I was able to put some thick grease on my finger and get the wing nut in position and started. Then I used some curved needle nose pliers to hold the wing nut while tightening the screws. I should have used 3/8" or 1/2" thick starboard because the 1/4" was too thin and I was getting some of the trim in the camera view. Right now there is a stack of 3 or 4 washers between 1/4" starboard and the lift gate but the camera is in a great position.

Hope this helps...

Can you please post which camera you bought?

Can you please post which camera you bought?
Hope it's OK to jump in. I bought

Amazon product ASIN B074PLY2DG
In Dec of 2020 for my '03 LX470. This year LX did not come with a back-up camera from the factory.

This camera replaces one of the license plate lights and looks like an OEM install with no need to do any drilling or cutting.

Also this camera has really nice picture and low-light sensitivity (better than the OEM camera on my '13 LX570).

Now this looks like the kind of item that the vendor might switch up based on supply and pricing so if you order one I am not sure if you would get the one that I got and am happy with.

Also, it does fit loose, so i used a bit of RTV to secure it to the hatch so it would not rattle around and possibly pop loose when the hatch gets shut.

Hope it's OK to jump in. I bought

Amazon product ASIN B074PLY2DG
In Dec of 2020 for my '03 LX470. This year LX that did not come with a back-up camera from the factory.

This camera replaces one of the license plate lights and looks like an OEM install with no need to do any drilling or cutting.

Also this camera has really nice picture and low-light sensitivity (better than the OEM camera on my '13 LX570).

Now this looks like the kind of item that the vendor might switch up based on supply and pricing so if you order one I am not sure if you would get the one that I got and am happy with.

Also, it does fit loose, so i used a bit of RTV to secure it to the hatch so it would not rattle around and possibly pop loose when the hatch gets shut.
I like this setup... Thanks for sharing.

Installed on an 04 LX470 and had no issues at all - I first tested though the factory amp but since I had already installed aftermarket amps I switched to the RCA's
Also installed Sergey's firmware with no issues.

Very happy with this upgrade

Now trying to find links to how people have used the Front and Side Camera's..... anybody know a writeup on this?

I saw that Phoenix install for the 360 camera but it requires a remote

I thought I read -- on one of the hundred of Tesla screen pages that the front camera is input is different than the rear and not to order the same camera but I can't find that so I could have just imagined it.

I don't even see where to view the front camera but I do have an option for rear and side - maybe side = front

Hi Everyone

I am just taking the time to thank all of you for your precious imputs all along this thread and these three other threads :

I have been totaly successfull to install a PX6 4-128 on my LC 100 dated December 2006.

My PX6 has been bought on Aliexpress: ZWNAV vendor. Everything went good it took around 3 weeks to be delivered with the product. In the meantime i have been contacted in Watsapp by ZWNAV to give details about my exact LC 100 model/year.

Here are the specificities of my LC100:
- OEM Amp under passenger seat is Pioneer
- I had the 6 CDs charger in the center console as well as the GPS DVD Player under the passenger seat
- My vehicule was equiped by Toyota with the ICE DVD Player system in headrests

So my configuration was a bit complicated and i anticipated a lot od issues.

I First began by installing the PX6 as of the Youtube Video that everyone knows :
Please note that on my PX6 Harness there was a lot of unused big plugs. Nevertheless every plugs coming from the CAR harness have been adressed !
I used the high climate harness and not the "low" one as i was provided with both.

Here are the issues i faced and how i fixed it :

A- Climate controls works out of the box PROVIDED THAT in the hiden advanced menu of the PX6 (Entry code: 8861) the "LC100 High" vehicle is selected and the "BNR with AC" Protocol is specified too. After having selected the right car and protocol, DO NOT FORGET to go back to the Settings Menu and make a "Save and Reboot" in order your changes are taken into account.

B- No sound from front speakers : to resolve this i had (1) to entirely withdraw the old ICE DVD System and its specific harness that was plugged into the amp bypassing the HU Main harness, and then re-plug directly the HU Harness to the amp (2) i had to withdraw the GPS DVD Player under passenger seat and loop the speaker wires that remained on the GPS unused plug as it is explained here : 2003 LC Tesla Screen Install Write-Up - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2003-lc-tesla-screen-install-write-up.1149024/page-3

C- Very low sound issue and very poor quality as soon i raise the volume : solved going into "Console" menu on the PX6 and increasing the "Amp Volume" to 35 in this Amp settings submenu. Then the system sounds good until Volume 25 on the "main volume" control. I would say that the sound quality is now about 25% better than with the OEM Radio. I intend to replace the 4 speakers to increase quality again.

D- OEM RearCam does not works : i succeed to make it work as per the instructions given by ALLANDO in Page 7 of this thread. It works very well and it is not very complicated. LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lc-lx470-tesla-style-screen-radio-upgrade-with-climate-control-general-discussions.1161042/page-7
The quality of the OEM cam is not great but i like its perfect point of view and you get possibility to apply some contrast/brigtness modification by taping the Up/Left corner of the RearcamVidéo when displayed.

I did not tried to install the PX6 remote MIC as i was said that integrated MIC is good enough by people i have been calling.

My opinion on this unit on a 2006 LC100 is very very positive. What an improvement for my 14,5 years old car !
Having GAIA GPS, Waze, Gmail, Youtube, TV Channels, Weather Pro and so much more apps in STAND ALONE in a vehicule is a GAME CHANGER.
I even feel like AppleCarPlay is no longer usefull. Actually i never connect my iPhone because PX6 is really a STAND ALONE solution.

IMPORTANT : i have to precise that i use the PX6 "USB" plug to power a Huawei E5785-92C 4G Mobile Hotspot placed in the sunglasses storage space in the roof. It has a twin SIM of my mobile subscription and it works great to give permanent internet access to the PX6.

I hope my feedback will give reinsurances or help to those among us who have note entirely succeeded to fix all their issues.

Arnaou

Hi Everyone

I am just taking the time to thank all of you for your precious imputs all along this thread and these three other threads :

I have been totaly successfull to install a PX6 4-128 on my LC 100 dated December 2006.

My PX6 has been bought on Aliexpress: ZWNAV vendor. Everything went good it took around 3 weeks to be delivered with the product. In the meantime i have been contacted in Watsapp by ZWNAV to give details about my exact LC 100 model/year.

Here are the specificities of my LC100:
- OEM Amp under passenger seat is Pioneer
- I had the 6 CDs charger in the center console as well as the GPS DVD Player under the passenger seat
- My vehicule was equiped by Toyota with the ICE DVD Player system in headrests

So my configuration was a bit complicated and i anticipated a lot od issues.

I First began by installing the PX6 as of the Youtube Video that everyone knows :
Please note that on my PX6 Harness there was a lot of unused big plugs. Nevertheless every plugs coming from the CAR harness have been adressed !
I used the high climate harness and not the "low" one as i was provided with both.

Here are the issues i faced and how i fixed it :

A- Climate controls works out of the box PROVIDED THAT in the hiden advanced menu of the PX6 (Entry code: 8861) the "LC100 High" vehicle is selected and the "BNR with AC" Protocol is specified too. After having selected the right car and protocol, DO NOT FORGET to go back to the Settings Menu and make a "Save and Reboot" in order your changes are taken into account.

B- No sound from front speakers : to resolve this i had (1) to entirely withdraw the old ICE DVD System and its specific harness that was plugged into the amp bypassing the HU Main harness, and then re-plug directly the HU Harness to the amp (2) i had to withdraw the GPS DVD Player under passenger seat and loop the speaker wires that remained on the GPS unused plug as it is explained here : 2003 LC Tesla Screen Install Write-Up - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2003-lc-tesla-screen-install-write-up.1149024/page-3

C- Very low sound issue and very poor quality as soon i raise the volume : solved going into "Console" menu on the PX6 and increasing the "Amp Volume" to 35 in this Amp settings submenu. Then the system sounds good until Volume 25 on the "main volume" control. I would say that the sound quality is now about 25% better than with the OEM Radio. I intend to replace the 4 speakers to increase quality again.

D- OEM RearCam does not works : i succeed to make it work as per the instructions given by ALLANDO in Page 7 of this thread. It works very well and it is not very complicated. LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lc-lx470-tesla-style-screen-radio-upgrade-with-climate-control-general-discussions.1161042/page-7
The quality of the OEM cam is not great but i like its perfect point of view and you get possibility to apply some contrast/brigtness modification by taping the Up/Left corner of the RearcamVidéo when displayed.

I did not tried to install the PX6 remote MIC as i was said that integrated MIC is good enough by people i have been calling.

My opinion on this unit on a 2006 LC100 is very very positive. What an improvement for my 14,5 years old car !
Having GAIA GPS, Waze, Gmail, Youtube, TV Channels, Weather Pro and so much more apps in STAND ALONE in a vehicule is a GAME CHANGER.
I even feel like AppleCarPlay is no longer usefull. Actually i never connect my iPhone because PX6 is really a STAND ALONE solution.

IMPORTANT : i have to precise that i use the PX6 "USB" plug to power a Huawei E5785-92C 4G Mobile Hotspot placed in the sunglasses storage space in the roof. It has a twin SIM of my mobile subscription and it works great to give permanent internet access to the PX6.

I hope my feedback will give reinsurances or help to those among us who have note entirely succeeded to fix all their issues.

Arnaou

Thanks for the excellent write-up Arnaoud!
I have a 2006 too, and I’m about to order one.
I have narrowed it down to the ZWNAV too.
Could you tell me where you got it, price, delivery time etc?
And what is your screen resolution? I see both 1024x768 and 1920x1080 advertised?

Thanks for the excellent write-up Arnaoud!
I have a 2006 too, and I’m about to order one.
I have narrowed it down to the ZWNAV too.
Could you tell me where you got it, price, delivery time etc?
And what is your screen resolution? I see both 1024x768 and 1920x1080 advertised?
Here is the unit i bought : €476.1 30% de réduction|Écran Tesla pour Toyota Land Cruiser 2002 LC100 LX470 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 100, lecteur Android 9, GPS, unité Audio et Radio stéréo | AliExpress - https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005001704246752.html?spm=a2g0w.12010612.8148356.52.e0085ef2BQ1gT7
I Took the 124go Carplay version : 553,51€
I took delivery from Germany : it took about 1 week to be shipped and 2 more weeks to be delivered.
Res is 1024x768 and as regard to the size of the screen i can confirm that it is very sharp and clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom