Which would you buy?

• Land Cruiser 80

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • Land Cruiser 100

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been planning on buying a 1996 Land Cruiser (unlocked) with almost 300k miles on it. But, I've just found a 2000 Land Cruiser with slightly fewer miles for slightly more money. Both are within my budget.

It's going to be a daily driver and light off-road (camping) car.

So, which would y'all prefer? What are the pros and cons of each?

daily driver with light off road, I would almost always choose a 100. More comfortable, more powerful, quieter etc.

That being said I wouldn't give up my 80 for one. The 80 just has a lot more character. But it is quite slow.

It depends on what oil is in it and what tires are on it.

The color matters too, so I wouldn't get whichever one is green or burgundy.

This has been hashed out a lot, but totally depends on your use of the vehicle and which you prefer. For what you plan to do, the 100 series sounds like it would work out just fine. V8, better road manners with 100 vs. solid front axle, with the 80. See which is better maintained, test drive them and make a choice - they will both do what you need them to.

This has been hashed out a lot, but totally depends on your use of the vehicle and which you prefer. For what you plan to do, the 100 series sounds like it would work out just fine. V8, better road manners with 100 vs. solid front axle, with the 80. See which is better maintained, test drive them and make a choice - they will both do what you need them to.
I'm leaning towards the 80. I just like the look better. Just thought I'd see if there was something I didn't know about in the difference between the two.

Get both!

IMG_1731.JPG

Do you own a Tommy Bahama shirt? :hmm:

My commute is all of 45 seconds and I'm fine replacing the engine, preferably with a Vortec, relatively soon.

uh oh you said vortec...now wait to be ridiculed

Can't comment personal ownership experience with a 93-97 80 series but my '91 3FE powered 80 is a daily commuter even with my slim 22 year old budget. 30 miles round trip a day 5 days a week in rush hour traffic (8AM and 5PM) on the 405.

Oh, and my tank has 335,000 miles on her all I've done was a tune up and 15 dollar fusible links.

And I feel like either go all or nothing.

The 80 series is a classic and beyond capable. If you want something newer than just wait till you have enough to put down on a 2008 200 Series.
Yes the 100 series is a great rig but they are fairly old now (atleast in most peoples eyes) so just go all in and get the old school rig or save for a 200. Just my opinion

I have both and love them both, but for a daily commute, comfort, more power, occasional off-roading, then hands down....the 100 series.

For a classic, extremely tough off-road vehicle, the 80.

It depends on what oil is in it and what tires are on it.

The color matters too, so I wouldn't get whichever one is green or burgundy.
Ridiculous ..... Has the OP posted this same question on the 100 board?

I would not prefer either a 300,000 mile 80 or a slightly less high mile 100. What is your budget? What is your budget once you get it to baseline it and have money set aside for emergency issues?

For an 80 that doesn't have significant rebuild history by a well known Cruiser mechanic I would be looking under 200,000 miles and good service history.

So maybe I would wait and build the budget a little?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom