Lake City Limo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you say fox hunt?! I have always wanted to ride in a fox hunt. I got to watch my grand ma ride side saddle back in Baltimore back in the day! Very exciting!

Did you say fox hunt?! I have always wanted to ride in a fox hunt. I got to watch my grand ma ride side saddle back in Baltimore back in the day! Very exciting!
Yep. My sister is in a club. They hunt our farm 6-7 times a year. Yesterday was the youth hunt. The hounds chase the coyote fox and bobcats but they never kill anything

1AE3D34E-425A-4936-B7E2-C971D790DD38.jpeg

80370AB4-81CE-4932-9372-5CD7AEFC0957.jpeg

Tedious. I’ll add a little touch up paint and some wax where able. This is the best part of doing a motor swap. Getting the engine bay nice and tidy.

View attachment 2579499

Wish I had taken the time to do that in my engine bay before the 3FE went in!

Although I’m just a sales rep masquerading as a mechanic, I do keep a rocket scientist and Turkish pimp on retainer for consultation.

After mulling over my measurements at the firewall and motor mount consensus said stick with the beefier OEM 60 mounts and just drill new holes in the frame mounts 3/4” rearward and try again. The Pimp and I had come to the conclusion to just egg out the current holes but the Rocket Scientist stepped in with his slide rule and determined that the a new hole would be the most sound.

So I lifted the motor out of the way and started drilling and egging the holes 3/4” rearward.
6332127E-BB30-45DA-8A65-E869C4D729D3.jpeg

Also the Turk pimp provided me with a picture to show proper orientation for the mounts. I had the drivers side wrong because the metal lips that overhang were hitting the FJ80 steering box but I trimmed them up and they seated perfectly.
2D41FA64-F4B5-4827-8203-6979610823C1.jpeg

Now there is plenty of room to work belts on and off and still use the beefier FJ60 rubber mounts.
264E4D66-3FA4-4A0B-B8EB-EF8666050833.jpeg
DEB69696-A52D-4D9F-8B3D-3AA0E2ECBA3E.jpeg

Thanks @FJ60Cam and @Onur for the sounding board tech help on a Sunday.

8D372A52-5118-49D5-A8FA-DA101EAC31DE.jpeg

Since they issue was sorted out I started making this install a bit more permanent.

I got the Lokar throttle cable hooked up. The high pressure and return line on the PS. All but the power on the Koito harness run and the beginnings of the Sniper harness.

2C33CA2B-323F-487C-AB33-C45C392874E4.jpeg

094D4BED-A9AB-4435-ADD1-5253783F4D5B.jpeg

Started plugging in all the wires and seeing what all the PO hacked up along the way.

This is not as easy as plug and play even if they had not hacked it....why?

First, we are using a 55 watt internal regulated FJ60 alternator. That cuts out a bunch of wires.

Basically you run a jump wire from the yellow/black ignition wire to the bottom plug on the alternator and then run a large gauge wire from the back of the alternator direct to the battery.

Second, we are going to a gear reduction starter. That also eliminates 2 of the 3 starter wires

Third, we have a DUI ignition that uses only one of the OEM ignition wires.

Lots of unused wires.

So, here is my question.

First, what’s a good size parts store fusable link for this system? It, of course did not have one so I need to pick one up tomorrow.

Second, what is this large white wire? It’s hot and it’s in the vicinity of the harness to go to the starter but there is no reference to a WHITE wire in the 1976 harness. My FJ45 has an all white and it powers the harness via the starter and it too has no fusable link.

Since everyone likes pictures here is my progress. Nothing is loomed but it’s 90% done.

E162B8BD-E4A7-407C-841B-35FB1D409CB7.jpeg

337970D6-D434-4EFD-B497-B73CEC08A6F5.jpeg

09F1F783-77F8-4FE7-839D-7B4F359C2269.jpeg

I’ve gone with this 150 amp at the battery. I had a fire about 2 years ago in a 40 (that I was fortunately able to extinguish) because of a loose starter wire hitting the header. I’m sure you can make it look more professional, but it’ll save your bacon - literally! I’ve only blown one out during a cold crank, so I suppose that means the amperage is in the right ballpark.

E7E639A4-2D0E-42AC-9EDB-0FD96D11635F.jpeg

when I redid the harness on my ‘76 40 I unwrapped and traced the entire factory harness. Only all white wire was in the dimmer switch to cluster indicator. It changed color across the connector, but it definitely wasn’t that gauge... yours is much heavier.

when I redid the harness on my ‘76 40 I unwrapped and traced the entire factory harness. Only all white wire was in the dimmer switch to cluster indicator. It changed color across the connector, but it definitely wasn’t that gauge... yours is much heavier.
And it’s hot.

My 1967 has a heavy white wire that’s hot that goes into the starter center.

I’ll figure it out. Just weird. It’s not added. It’s OEM.

When I changed to the 55 amp 60 series alternator I used the Coolerman wiring harness kit. It leaves pretty much all the OEM wiring intact except right at the alternator. External regulator stays put and gets bypassed.

When I changed to the 55 amp 60 series alternator I used the Coolerman wiring harness kit. It leaves pretty much all the OEM wiring intact except right at the alternator. External regulator stays put and gets bypassed.
Yep. I got that part. I have it on 2 of my rigs.

it’s the oddball wires that are not in the diagram that make me ???

The white (W) wire going to the ammeter makes sense. It would have to be heavy gauge.

The white (W) wire going to the ammeter makes sense. It would have to be heavy gauge.
That was actually a '76 FJ40 diagram. The Limo was born in August 1976, so I thought maybe it was close enough to the change in the model year (Sept) that I should look at the 1977 FJ55 diagram, and there was a White wire. Not sure if this is the mystery one @wngrog is looking for or not, but it is in the right vicinity...

DB8E78E5-CFD7-478A-924F-AC8115B2A956_1_105_c.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom