Kavik 100 Series Front Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kavik
totally digging this look! nice work.

questions:

1. in a head on collision, how is the LX470’s crumple zone affected with the mod to your bumper? it being aluminum would make me think itself could act as a crumple zone but not sure if trucks existing crumple zone would still be able to do its job.

2. related to #1, will this affect the airbag deployment? it’s not clear to me how the airbags are triggered in a LX470.

3. can any of these holes (red circles in photo below) be not cut out during your CNC process? no rush on the bumper, so OK if it affects lead time.

1A3DB8FE-D1F1-458A-A72B-73D201354044.jpeg

thank you! and again, awesome work.

@Kavik
totally digging this look! nice work.

questions:

1. in a head on collision, how is the LX470’s crumple zone affected with the mod to your bumper? it being aluminum would make me think itself could act as a crumple zone but not sure if trucks existing crumple zone would still be able to do its job.

2. related to #1, will this affect the airbag deployment? it’s not clear to me how the airbags are triggered in a LX470.

3. can any of these holes (red circles in photo below) be not cut out during your CNC process? no rush on the bumper, so OK if it affects lead time.

View attachment 2012963

thank you! and again, awesome work.

@jumptrader

1) In a head on, I would estimate the crumple zone would behave similar to with the stock OEM bumper. There is a similar amount of mass in this bumper to the OEM metal bumper channel (behind the plastic cover). It would be a difficult thing to calculate/predict as the physics are quite complex.

2) The airbag sensor is in the engine compartment and is deployed via rapid deceleration, not bumper displacement.

3) The cut outs circled could be eliminated in the laser flat pattern, but would require a custom batch. We can discuss options. I will mention that the cut outs serve as access to winch controls, and also allow air to reach the lower half of the radiator.

Shoot me a PM if you would like to talk details...

Brian

@Kavik
thanks for the speedy reply, i really appreciate it.

got it. makes sense. yes, i’ll be interested in removing the winch hole.

a few more questions:

1. do you have a straight on and level image of the bumper? would like to get a feel for how much air would be cut off if we closed the winch hole and the two holes above.

2. is there a brand badge on the bumper? didn’t see it.

3. what’s the estimated shipping costs? if you need a zip code, please assume 94304.

4. how scratch resistant is the powder coating?

5. what is your current lead time for a standard bumper with bull bar (ignoring request above to fill in the winch hole). in no rush.

phil_front.jpg

@jumptrader

1) See attached

2) No badge. Word of mouth tends to be the best marketing for niche products. I should get some decals made up I suppose...

3) I can get you a formal estimate with shipping, email me at info@kavikoffroad.com

4) It's a pretty tough coating. Not bulletproof, though. The particular powder I use can be touched up with a $6 can of texture spray paint. It is a remarkably good match.

5) Shoot me an email so we can discuss.

Thanks for the great questions, and kind words.

Brian

@Kavik

i hear you re: the badge. a small subtle badge could look real clean!

will email you separately.

@Kavik what is the cost for the exact bumper you posted above for 100 series LC?

That truck posted above is really very nice, and the owner is too. I wish my @Kavik got that sort of air time. @LandCruiserPhil

Here's more of the above rig and a couple others! Great work Brian, I get many compliments!

View attachment 2013085

@jumptrader

1) See attached

2) No badge. Word of mouth tends to be the best marketing for niche products. I should get some decals made up I suppose...

3) I can get you a formal estimate with shipping, email me at info@kavikoffroad.com

4) It's a pretty tough coating. Not bulletproof, though. The particular powder I use can be touched up with a $6 can of texture spray paint. It is a remarkably good match.

5) Shoot me an email so we can discuss.

Thanks for the great questions, and kind words.

Brian
Nice LX 😊

Put me down for a winch plate also!

Holy smokes that front bumper is 🔥🔥🔥! @LandCruiserPhil can you post some more pics of your rig? I can see this on my 06! Btw is the AHC deleted on this or still on?

@Kavik i’m curious if it’s possible to re-use/integrate the LX’s OE projector fog lamps on your bumper? Love my fog lamps

Last edited:
I'm also curious about the OE fogs.

Can I get lead on an LX, no bull? 💩

Thanks,

Many-

Can anyone post a picture of a bare uncoated bumper after a couple of years of exposure to the elements?

Will this bumper be able to take an animal hit like deer with minimal or no damage to the bumper?
None. Impossible to find a bumper that can take a hit from a large animal like a deer with little to no damage. But if you were to have a steel bumper, it'll most likely protect all the vital parts behind the bumper. And you won't be left stranded.

Holy smokes that front bumper is 🔥🔥🔥! @LandCruiserPhil can you post some more pics of your rig? I can see this on my 06! Btw is the AHC deleted on this or still on?

@Kavik i’m curious if it’s possible to re-use/integrate the LX’s OE projector fog lamps on your bumper? Love my fog lamps
I'm also curious about the OE fogs.

Can I get lead on an LX, no bull? 💩

Thanks,

Many-

Please post a pic of the Factory fog lamps you guys have (angled pics, please). I think there are a few different LC/LX fog lamps over the years?

Honestly, I haven't chased this because of the curvature of the plastic inset lamp housing. I don't think I can properly "french" it into the flat face of the wing. But, let's see what you've got.

Can anyone post a picture of a bare uncoated bumper after a couple of years of exposure to the elements?

I've had the original prototype on my truck for over 2 years. I can post up a recent pic (need to take one), but it looks exactly like the pic on the 1st page with a bit more road tar stuck to it. Full disclosure, I live in Phoenix, so virtually no road salt, coastal conditions, or high humidity. However, dry and wet trail rides, and a few trips to the snow in Flagstaff wash right off at the Self Serve Car Wash.
tundra_5_spoke-jpg.1505419

weld3-jpg.1505422

None. Impossible to find a bumper that can take a hit from a large animal like a deer with little to no damage. But if you were to have a steel bumper, it'll most likely protect all the vital parts behind the bumper. And you won't be left stranded.

Correct answer. I had an steel ARB bullbar on my 80, and it was ALOT of steel. I loved the bumper, but not the weight. This aluminum bumper is less than half the weight. Designing around the physics of a deer strike at high speed would be nearly impossible to calculate and mitigate any damage. If you genuinely need that kind of protection, look at the steel bumpers first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom