Builds Just another 79 build..... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We're going to do a swingout for it.

Currently it's on the cab's roof rack......not the easiest to deal with especially with a Nitto MT55 tire on it. I think it's about 108 pounds or something.

We're going to do a swingout for it.

Currently it's on the cab's roof rack......not the easiest to deal with especially with a Nitto MT55 tire on it. I think it's about 108 pounds or something.
The spare tire generally stays clean in the rear bed but it's kinda in the way.

The spare tire generally stays clean in the rear bed but it's kinda in the way.

That's the issue....it's in the way big time back there....especially with the canopy and how it opens. I don't mind it on the roof....maybe I can come up with a hoist or something...or a slide to get it off. 2 people can get it down easily but it kind of sucks with one person. Would be tough to do if you were in a precarious situation alone or on the side of the road somewhere where you couldn't really just roll it off. I don't run the MT55s any longer....so I should change to the Cooper I'm running...it's at least 20 pounds lighter. Those Nittos are a beast of a tire but those Coopers are like a dream.

I really don't want it on the back.

Our of curiosity what Cooper are you running? I just got a set of S/T Maxx and am looking forward to trying them out.

BTW that canopy is gorgeous!

Our of curiosity what Cooper are you running? I just got a set of S/T Maxx and am looking forward to trying them out.

BTW that canopy is gorgeous!

Discoverer S/T. Great tire....transformed the truck. They did really well off road too. Super happy with them.

20180608_152518.jpg

spending to save always gets me more than I really need. I just had a container of teak furniture arrive from Indonesia. I needed a couple live edge slabs for a build out and ended up splitting a 40ft container with a friend. Now I have to figure out what to do with it all. Less is more sometimes...

Looking forward to a pic of it mounted on the truck.

spending to save always gets me more than I really need. I just had a container of teak furniture arrive from Indonesia. I needed a couple live edge slabs for a build out and ended up splitting a 40ft container with a friend. Now I have to figure out what to do with it all. Less is more sometimes...

Looking forward to a pic of it mounted on the truck.
I’ll take that teak off your hand

What are you looking for? I kinda had a bit of everything in the container this time. No teak lumber bc you can't import that legally. But got some pretty unique stuff this go around.

What are you looking for? I kinda had a bit of everything in the container this time. No teak lumber bc you can't import that legally. But got some pretty unique stuff this go around.

You can’t import teak legally?

My dreams of buying a teak farm may be in jeopardy! I have seen 20 acres of 1-5yr old trees for as low as $30k.

Cheers

Not as lumber from Indonesia. Teak furniture yes. Too much illegal logging has gone on there as its one of the most corrupt countries in the world. You can bring it in as lumber from other countries though. A lot of boat builders in my area...they pay a premium for tight grain grade A teak.
I too have thought of the teak farm as part of retirement. You must be looking in Central America for that price. Nicaragua? Have friends there who have invested and hoping for a big payout in the future.

Back to the story and pics.....so in comes the top. We had about 2" of clearance on each side of the lift posts to get the trailer in. If it had been any wider, things would have been interesting.

Ran a couple of 4x4 posts thru the top, used the legs to lift the posts and the canopy is finally off it's well-built platform.

20181016_074515.jpg
20181016_074530.jpg

20181016_074958.jpg

20181016_075010_HDR.jpg

20181016_082422_HDR.jpg

Under the canopy was the drawer parts....along with all kinds of neat stuff in the drawers....forgot how much I ordered. These guys really packed it in. Pretty standard drawer kit with a fridge slide. Nice stuff.

20181016_075953.jpg
20181016_080003.jpg

Dog tested and approved.
20181016_080659.jpg

And now for the big step.....sliding the truck under this thing to see how it all lines up. I had a deep fear that somehow, someway, despite all of our measuring that there was going to be some kind of difference between a GCC truck bed and a South African truck bed. Turns out I worry far too much.
20181016_083829.jpg
20181016_090115_HDR.jpg
20181016_090129_HDR.jpg

20181016_093952.jpg

20181016_094203.jpg

4 bolts on each side of the canopy secured it to the bed rails....which of course had no holes. Made some holes and secured it to the bed. Kind of sucked to drill 4 holes in the bed rails since this is only a temporary install but life will go on. I thought about swapping in my other build's bed but that seemed like a lot more work.

20181016_105827_HDR.jpg

Immediately had to open up the tent.....
20181016_110930.jpg

20181016_112025.jpg

The 270 degree awning that Big Country supplied had been pre fitted to the canopy....so installation was a snap with a couple of bolts.
20181017_150330.jpg

20181017_150335 2.jpg

Pros like my tech read instructions and don't listen to me who was demanding immediate deployment of the awning. The first few times of opening you have to be careful as the fabric tends to be tight fitting around the hinge mechanism and can rip if you're not careful. Exactly what would have happened if I had gotten my way.

20181018_073951.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to get it out of the shop and grab a few pics...was really curious about how the rear axle would take the weight....this being an 80 series rear spring setup. I had previously installed some helper air bags in it with stock OEM springs.

Seemed to sit OK but I had a lot of pressure in the bags and a lot more weight to add.

20181016_120012.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom