Builds Just another 79 build..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OME 864s will handle that.

OME 864s will handle that.

Ah....864s do sound perfect(read your thread about them). We ended up with stock height OME springs and my helper bags running about 35psi. I also added 30mm spacers. I had the stock height OME springs from an 80 that got a Dobinsons suspension on it laying around so we gave them a try.

Quite a bit to get it to sit level but it works and it rides like a dream. For the next build, we're going to weigh it all out and figure out what we need. Although I think I'll still run the bags.

I believe I'm running a stock height OME spring in the front with a 25mm spacer. Again...not ideal but it worked really well before the canopy. Next truck goes full Dobinsons.

20181027_112336_1 2.jpg

Last edited:
Did a little playing around in the dirt next door to the shop shop....there was one area to see how things flexed....this was with the bags inflated and stocker springs.

20181020_151603_HDR.jpg

That is a cool setup! I think I may like that vs the troopy style pop tops seems a bit more utilitarian vs a RV feel. But I would never complain about either!
I love that you keep referring to the next build, thanks for keeping us entertained!

That is a cool setup! I think I may like that vs the troopy style pop tops seems a bit more utilitarian vs a RV feel. But I would never complain about either!
I love that you keep referring to the next build, thanks for keeping us entertained!

There's a next build after the next build. Lol. This particular setup was never intended for this truck....but I wanted to see how it worked, what I like, what I don't, what I will change, etc.

I've been reading all the Troopy builds and I really would like to go that route next....was thinking about having Big Country maybe come up with some kind of cool canopy that I could access from the inside of the truck...which would require a really custom rear door.

I met a guy at Expo that had the coolest tray/canopy/tent modular setup....really really cool. They were working on an 80 series with the back cut off and the tray/canopy/tent added. Sounded cool and based on their offerings, it's going to be really nice.

Maybe the rear roof will come off my 80.....the next next next build.

Did you see this guys setup? He’s on here. The floor of the tent rises up like in the troopy

View attachment 1858927

View attachment 1858928

View attachment 1858930

I have seen it! WAY COOL.....Alu-Cab slide in. Totally bitchin' and his truck is SUPER cool...one hell of a build. I was waiting to see pics of the inside.

So the tent's floor raises up so you have room to stand inside. I guess with the tent OVER the cab a foot and a half or so, you gain the room that you lose in the back there where the tent's platform doesn't come all the way to the back of the canopy. Neat.

A rear end like this would be really cool. Maybe bob the rear of the truck's bed....better departure angle.

I know what I have to do...I have to build one from scratch. Make it exactly the way I want.

1461342201959.jpeg

There's a next build after the next build. Lol. This particular setup was never intended for this truck....but I wanted to see how it worked, what I like, what I don't, what I will change, etc.

I've been reading all the Troopy builds and I really would like to go that route next....was thinking about having Big Country maybe come up with some kind of cool canopy that I could access from the inside of the truck...which would require a really custom rear door.

I met a guy at Expo that had the coolest tray/canopy/tent modular setup....really really cool. They were working on an 80 series with the back cut off and the tray/canopy/tent added. Sounded cool and based on their offerings, it's going to be really nice.

Maybe the rear roof will come off my 80.....the next next next build.

See keeping us entertained!

Just in case anyone didn't see my other post, I'm bringing in an overhead console for this truck and some speaker panels for the doors...if anyone wants a set, we can split up the shipping. I think 5 sets of door panels can go in one box. The pockets are not included but those are easy to get. Overhead console is a 79 series thing only. PM me for details if interested.
pod-1.jpg
roofbulge.jpg

I was able to get it out of the shop and grab a few pics...was really curious about how the rear axle would take the weight....this being an 80 series rear spring setup. I had previously installed some helper air bags in it with stock OEM springs.

Seemed to sit OK but I had a lot of pressure in the bags and a lot more weight to add.

View attachment 1858625

SLEE HDP springs work great for carrying weight but they only come in 4” lift.

Cheers

SLEE HDP springs work great for carrying weight but they only come in 4” lift.

Cheers

Yeah....4" is going to be a little much. I think we'll be able to find something with Dobinsons....we became a dealer for them and I want to use their stuff on this next build. Might use their super fancy shocks too. Those guys really know their springs.

Yeah....4" is going to be a little much. I think we'll be able to find something with Dobinsons....we became a dealer for them and I want to use their stuff on this next build. Might use their super fancy shocks too. Those guys really know their springs.

Ole Glenn gave me dealer status way back in the early 2000’s. I was into Nissan Patrols then and never really sold any kits so it just kind of disappeared.

Glenn is a nice guy.

Cheers

Ole Glenn gave me dealer status way back in the early 2000’s. I was into Nissan Patrols then and never really sold any kits so it just kind of disappeared.

Glenn is a nice guy.

Cheers

They've been really great to work with. I thought I read somewhere that they do springs for armored cars or started with springs for armored cars....something like that.

If have big dreams of making my own like that using my alu-cab 3 by building a cap and mounting the tent on it and cutting the floor out and making a new removable/tilt tent floor, but I probably will not have the time anymore to do that.

If you need some additional ideas for your build, search Alu Innovations in Cape Town.As Alu Cab no longer wanted to do any custom work, Cassiem left them on good terms to fill that void in the market and thus Alu Innovations was born.They have just finished an extended FZJ105 converted to a 4 door canopied LDV/truck. Check it out on facebook for some ideas - that roof is electrically raised and collapsed !

If you need some additional ideas for your build, search Alu Innovations in Cape Town.As Alu Cab no longer wanted to do any custom work, Cassiem left them on good terms to fill that void in the market and thus Alu Innovations was born.They have just finished an extended FZJ105 converted to a 4 door canopied LDV/truck. Check it out on facebook for some ideas - that roof is electrically raised and collapsed !

I checked out that FB page. Pretty slick. Thanks for the info.

Just read through this whole thread... once you initially finished the build of the 79 I kept thinking "What are all these other posts gonna be about?!" Man, what a freakin' epic thread. Very cool stuff. Lots of ways to spend money.

Keep it coming!

Just read through this whole thread... once you initially finished the build of the 79 I kept thinking "What are all these other posts gonna be about?!" Man, what a freakin' epic thread. Very cool stuff. Lots of ways to spend money.

Keep it coming!

What better time than now to update this post....

Last edited:
After the canopy was on an secured, it was time to build the drawer system. Pretty standard deal for drawers. We were watching a 4WD Action video at lunch the other day and saw these exact drawers advertised by a sponsor on the program...different name. Not sure where exactly they came from but I got them thru Big Country 4x4.

Parts were all color coded and labeled so you know where they go.
20181023_085959.jpg
20181023_090022.jpg
20181023_134714_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom