Builds Just another 79 build..... (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Could always sell me that white canopy and order another one color matched to your next build :)

Did you get the Middle East graphic package on your second body or plan white.

I hand picked mine when I was there so I didn't have to deal with removing the decals.

Both my trucks are plain ol' white.

Think I'm going to use this canopy a bit.....then maybe I'll think about selling it but it will probably be sold with the truck. But who knows...maybe I'll order another one. Maybe we'll do a group buy. A very very small group buy. Ha.

I was just kidding.

Let me know if the time comes to order another one. I'm in...we may as well buy enough other stuff over there and fill a container. Far better value that way.

I was just kidding.

Let me know if the time comes to order another one. I'm in...we may as well buy enough other stuff over there and fill a container. Far better value that way.

Spending to save......exactly what gets me into trouble. I'd love to do another order....for sure will keep everyone posted.

Picking back up where we left off.....the big crate from South Africa finally made to to Tampa late on a Friday....Saturday AM we ripped it open. They certainly know how to make nice crates in South Africa....took some work to open it.

20181013_113624.jpg
20181013_115139.jpg

Thankfully no damage to anything except the sticker they installed....no loss....the sticker was on crooked so it was coming off.

Losing the 'g' turned it into Bi Country.......hmmmmm....seems like an interesting place.

20181013_121018.jpg

20181017_065829.jpg

Last edited:
They crammed a lot of stuff in this canopy.....I wasn't sure I received everything but I remember them saying that they had put stuff in the bed drawers. Couldn't open those until we got the canopy off.

20181013_120148.jpg
20181013_120207.jpg

The first thing I did once it was uncrated.... popped the tent and climbed inside like a 10 year old. I played with every zipper, strap, hook, whatever a minimum of 5 times and then started sweating profusely because it was September in FL....in a non-climate controlled warehouse.

20181013_121041.jpg
20181013_122843.jpg
20181013_122858.jpg

The tent is extremely heavy duty.....goes along with all the other heavy duty parts. It's a very thick vinyl coated nylon from what I can tell. The mesh for the window openings is a very heavy vinyl coated type mesh. Mattress is pretty nice....not sure on the size...maybe 70" x 65". Upper part of the roof is covered in a marine type carpeting as are all enclosures, floors, etc. Nice stuff. Roof is made of the 5 bar checker pattern...with welded rails for load bars or whatever. Openings on all 3 exposed sides.

The rear window of the canopy is a slider as well which is kind of cool....not sure what the point of it is. Not really enough room to pass anything thru the cab when it's slider is open. Not sure who would be in the bed to pass things thru. Maybe a stowaway or something.

I still can't believe you took your truck on a dirt road! Mine has only been for about 2 miles. Just does not feel right after so much work. Love the canopy. I had the idea to do that, but with a truck that I would not care to take off-road.

I had to take it off road....really more than anything else just to make sure everything worked as it should. It wasn't as fun as beating on an old 40 but it was kind of cool. The fear factor of smashing something was quite high in TN on the trails we were on....I'm sure it was exaggerated due to knowing exactly how much time(and $$) went into it. Kind of looking forward to doing it again though! Maybe in LC79 #2.

Next stop would be to the main shop so we could get it on a lift and get it on the truck...

20181016_072117.jpg

Whoever posted this pic somewhere on this site.....thank you....you cost me a good chunk of money!
That might've been me, if so, you're welcome!" I will live vicariously through you! :cheers:

That might've been me, if so, you're welcome!" I will live vicariously through you! :cheers:

HAHAHAHA.....well I'm glad you posted it. And just wait....the good stuff is coming.

Picking back up where we left off.....the big crate from South Africa finally made to to Tampa late on a Friday....Saturday AM we ripped it open. They certainly know how to make nice crates in South Africa....took some work to open it.

View attachment 1846010 View attachment 1846011
Im going from looking at the cap to the 2 70 series trucks....
Have a 79 series myself...had 2 sold one... mine are not that clean though

Why does the Tacoma get towing duty and not the 79?

Why does the Tacoma get towing duty and not the 79?

The Tacoma is our do-it-all truck.....we use it for everything. I think we used it for this job because the ball it had on it was setup for the trailer. That and I think the guys were removing the spare and the stuff from the bed of the 79 to get it ready for the top. As I recall, we had to plan things out as we're under construction and there were a few times when we had no access to where we had stuff next door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom