JDM FZJ, terrible idle, everything tried (SOLVED) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really? Partsouq takes my KSA 75 series 10 digit VIN without issue. Hope you get this sorted soon.
maybe I goofed it up when I typed it in, I'll try again when i get back to the mothership

maybe I goofed it up when I typed it in, I'll try again when i get back to the mothership
Well I edited my post as I goofed up. I left out two zeros. It's a 12 digit VIN. Regardless it should work.

I didn't think you could test them attached to the board?

I didn't think you could test them attached to the board?
unsure. worst case i can pull and replace. Digi-Key usually gets me weird, rare parts in less than 2 days. I'll do a visual and report back once I get to the tools..... and I'm off the clock

Ecu looks fine. No corrosion to be found

Last edited:
Ecu looks fine. No corrosion to be found
They often look fine. The caps I replaced in my 4wd ECU looked totally fine. They just dry out and quit performing. Not saying yours are definitely bad, just that looking at the ECU can't necessarily rule it out.

Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in again
Considering I removed it and reinstalled it, I’d say that’s a pretty likely assumption
They often look fine. The caps I replaced in my 4wd ECU looked totally fine. They just dry out and quit performing. Not saying yours are definitely bad, just that looking at the ECU can't necessarily rule it out.
is there a testing procedure? The FSM and AllData shows no mention of actual ECU repair

Not that I know of. Easiest would be to swap in a different ECU if you can get one cheap or borrow it.

Have you not checked fuel pressure yet??

it requires some banjo adapters or some creative engineering, but I’d assume a Toyota dealer would have that stuff....
Yeah fuel pressure tested great, well within allowable limit. Tested cold idle and warm idle, I don’t remember the numbers off hand, but I do remember them being within spec or very close to it.
Edit: I only tested on idle because I am only experiencing the worst of the issues off idle
it requires some banjo adapters or some creative engineering, but I’d assume a Toyota dealer would have that stuff....

Last edited:
Not that I know of. Easiest would be to swap in a different ECU if you can get one cheap or borrow it.
Tore it out again to double check some things and grab some pics. It’s clean as an effing whistle, no corrosion anywhere and bone dry. The conformal coating hasn’t even started to crack yet.

FD0FCC49-D2F6-4456-93AF-4D5D204F0FB0.jpeg

196A428F-B720-45A2-B53E-42743F8625E3.jpeg

239EB63A-DE78-4D1D-94F5-098D115F5362.jpeg

Smack it on the table a couple of times for good measure.

Percussive maintenance.
Will do. Working on temp sensor now. Super easy to do even with the manifold in place

Update #1926492:

I replaced the temp ecu sensor. It’s BETTER, but still hesitates when you give her some throttle. Went ahead and checked timing and what do you know!! A brand new code has appeared, 21. I’ve got a spare o2 I’m gonna throw in and see if that does anything

Update #1926492:

I replaced the temp ecu sensor. It’s BETTER, but still hesitates when you give her some throttle. Went ahead and checked timing and what do you know!! A brand new code has appeared, 21. I’ve got a spare o2 I’m gonna throw in and see if that does anything
Well this would cause a code 21. Front o2 was CAKED in soot.
I wonder if the faulty temp sensor was causing the ecu to shoot more fuel (cold start/ open loop operation when not cold) causing a majorly rich condition. Will replace and report back

3DDFFD62-79EE-4B17-A022-57DD3357806B.jpeg

Wow yeah way too rich!
You’re telling me. Odd thing is it never smelled super gassy... I typically have a good nose for that stuff but I guess not this time! Hopefully I’ve finally caught my own tail after all this chasing

Gross. Replace those badboys.
Turns out the spare I had was a rear o2, so I’ve gotta wait to get a new front o2 for a few days, BUT I think this is the really the root of the issue. I’ll update in a few days once I get a new sensor in and reset the ecu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom