JDM FZJ, terrible idle, everything tried (SOLVED) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The sensor can be tested before you throw a new one at the problem.

Have you gone through the trouble shooting process in the FSM? You threw a lot of parts at it, do any testing before hand?

Cheers
yep. I tested all above and replaced as I found issues. deleted EGR because I was BEYOND done with all those vac lines under the intake mani

Ok so, Tested crank position sensor? That’s what tells it when to get spark.

Cheers
Yes sir, tested within OEM Spec. the only problems I found were what I replaced, so far. I did NOT check the stuff under the mani to be fair though

And start with one system, such as ignition. Work your way through the system testing all components as per the FSM. Then move on to the next system.

That’s my advice.

Cheers

What o2 sensors did you use?
Does it have a maf or a vaf obd1 has a vaf here in states I would assume jdm does too
Air intake tube have cracks?
Did you delete all vacuum lines?
If it has a vaf did you mess with it?

I would vote for idle air control valve, very common issue in the older honda accord, the symptoms match to what you described in post number one. You might be able to take it apart and clean out the gunk. Soak it in some B12 or something.
You didn’t read the first post.

Well, I couldn’t help myself. Went a head and pulled the trigger on a hydro ram kit from west Texas off road today. I said screw it, the redhead steering gear is ported, my PSC reservoir is installed and it just seemed like I should go ahead and do the assist.

Steve
Yay Steve.......

I don't see where anyone has suggested a damaged main engine wiring harness where it passes or did pass the EGR tube. The continuity testing you have done is really not sufficient to diagnose that problem. Open up the harness and inspect each wire.

What o2 sensors did you use?
Does it have a maf or a vaf obd1 has a vaf here in states I would assume jdm does too
Air intake tube have cracks?
Did you delete all vacuum lines?
If it has a vaf did you mess with it?
MAF, OEM 02 sensors, JDM to my knowledge was only JSP2 ( Under hood diag) and not OBD2 until late 97MY, intake tube has been replaced very recently, the only vac lines i have remaining are the two breather hoses, brake booster, and FPR.

I don't see where anyone has suggested a damaged main engine wiring harness where it passes or did pass the EGR tube. The continuity testing you have done is really not sufficient to diagnose that problem. Open up the harness and inspect each wire.
I will follow up when I replace the temp sensor, but when I deleted EGR and VCV I gave it a quick visual and all seemed okay. I will dig into it deeper when I open it up this weekend.

Maybe your ECU is going bad due to bad capacitors? Everyone is quick to dismiss this but it can be an issue.

Capacitors, especially of this era, fail as they get older. I had to replace some capacitors in my 4wd ECU because the locker lights had become stuck on. I also preemptively replaced the caps in my ECU. Check out this thread:

Maybe your ECU is going bad due to bad capacitors? Everyone is quick to dismiss this but it can be an issue.

Capacitors, especially of this era, fail as they get older. I had to replace some capacitors in my 4wd ECU because the locker lights had become stuck on. I also preemptively replaced the caps in my ECU. Check out this thread:

Someone had suggested this to me before but I passed it off as a non-issue...

Ill pull it out this weekend and throw it under the lights to see whats going on with that.

EDIT: Now that I look at it, it seems like this WOULD cover a lot of the issues im having. intermittent idle and power issues, low and/or erratic idle, takes multiple turns of the engine to start, stoich off, bad exhaust smell, and poor trans performance...... I'm thinking I should look at this first.....

Yeah unfortunately you may not be able to tell without replacing them unless you have another ECU handy. Something to keep in mind if all else fails. I sent mine off to someone to have done. I can look the guys info up if it comes to that.

Yeah unfortunately you may not be able to tell without replacing them unless you have another ECU handy. Something to keep in mind if all else fails. I sent mine off to someone to have done. I can look the guys info up if it comes to that.
If I need that service I'll pm you for info, ill go through and test all the fat caps with a meter and test their charge when powered. That should tell me what's what.

Great suggestion! THANK YOU!!!

if only it was that easy....

JDM truck has a 12 digit vin and OUQ doesnt like that
Really? Partsouq takes my KSA 75 series 12 digit VIN without issue. Hope you get this sorted soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom