JDM FZJ, terrible idle, everything tried (SOLVED) (1 Viewer)

I didn't think you could test them attached to the board?
unsure. worst case i can pull and replace. Digi-Key usually gets me weird, rare parts in less than 2 days. I'll do a visual and report back once I get to the tools..... and I'm off the clock

Ecu looks fine. No corrosion to be found
They often look fine. The caps I replaced in my 4wd ECU looked totally fine. They just dry out and quit performing. Not saying yours are definitely bad, just that looking at the ECU can't necessarily rule it out.

Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in again
Considering I removed it and reinstalled it, I’d say that’s a pretty likely assumption
They often look fine. The caps I replaced in my 4wd ECU looked totally fine. They just dry out and quit performing. Not saying yours are definitely bad, just that looking at the ECU can't necessarily rule it out.
is there a testing procedure? The FSM and AllData shows no mention of actual ECU repair

cwwfj60

Supporting Vendor
Have you not checked fuel pressure yet??

it requires some banjo adapters or some creative engineering, but I’d assume a Toyota dealer would have that stuff....

Have you not checked fuel pressure yet??

it requires some banjo adapters or some creative engineering, but I’d assume a Toyota dealer would have that stuff....
Yeah fuel pressure tested great, well within allowable limit. Tested cold idle and warm idle, I don’t remember the numbers off hand, but I do remember them being within spec or very close to it.
Edit: I only tested on idle because I am only experiencing the worst of the issues off idle

Last edited:
Not that I know of. Easiest would be to swap in a different ECU if you can get one cheap or borrow it.
Tore it out again to double check some things and grab some pics. It’s clean as an effing whistle, no corrosion anywhere and bone dry. The conformal coating hasn’t even started to crack yet.

FD0FCC49-D2F6-4456-93AF-4D5D204F0FB0.jpeg

196A428F-B720-45A2-B53E-42743F8625E3.jpeg

239EB63A-DE78-4D1D-94F5-098D115F5362.jpeg

Update #1926492:

I replaced the temp ecu sensor. It’s BETTER, but still hesitates when you give her some throttle. Went ahead and checked timing and what do you know!! A brand new code has appeared, 21. I’ve got a spare o2 I’m gonna throw in and see if that does anything

Update #1926492:

I replaced the temp ecu sensor. It’s BETTER, but still hesitates when you give her some throttle. Went ahead and checked timing and what do you know!! A brand new code has appeared, 21. I’ve got a spare o2 I’m gonna throw in and see if that does anything
Well this would cause a code 21. Front o2 was CAKED in soot.
I wonder if the faulty temp sensor was causing the ecu to shoot more fuel (cold start/ open loop operation when not cold) causing a majorly rich condition. Will replace and report back

3DDFFD62-79EE-4B17-A022-57DD3357806B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom