Is there such a thing as a tool list of most everything needed for a FJ40 rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots of people swear by PB Blaster, but once you try corrosion x, you'll be floored how good that stuff is. The only bolts I've ever broken are because I didn't use Corrosion X.

Lots of the tools that we acquire to work on cruisers merely speed up certain jobs or make them easier. You can get pretty far with patience and basic metric hand tools when you are starting out.

Buy a large metric mechanics tool set, then buy whatever small specialty sockets or wrenches required for the job of the day.
Before you know it, you wont be buying tools very much because you'll have acquired most items that you need on a regular basis.

Besides tools I think that you should stock up on first aide products. You'll soon discover how the two things seem to go together. :)
I started out working on Austin Mini's - they're so small and rusty that I lost skin off every knuckle many times over.
Landcruiser by comparison is so big and spacious that so far nothing more than the odd scratch :)

Ya, you're gonna need more than a good socket set on that one...

The list is kinda never ending. There's all them special tools in the FSM I've never used or seen outside of the FSM, and then there's the "tall" 10 ton jack stands I bought last month (Amazon product ASIN B0093NBQNA) and two different crimpers for some wiring I was doing (insulated vs. uninsulated terminals), and cutters and a hydraulic crimper for 0/2 cables for the winch....

(and ya, 10 tons for jackstands is a bit excessive, but there really weren't many other options tall enough to hold the frame up with the tires off the ground).

And a good drill and bits, grinder and a wire wheel and cutoff wheel, and a tap and thread kit, apparently they make "clean out" or chaser kits which I don't have but probably should so there I go getting more now... And that oscillating multi tool with the carbide blade I used to cut the body mount bolts. And the cutoff wheel seemed too messy trimming the U bolts so there has been a sawzall used....

I recently found myself getting a new ball joint remover instead of the old tried and trued pickle fork I've had since forever to replace tie rod ends, which made that a lot quicker and easier. And I don't know how anyone else adjusts toe in and centers the steering without a pipe wrench?

I still don't have JIS screwdrivers... I need to get on that one....

Last edited:
Add an inexpensive Dremel to this list if not already mentioned. With various cut off wheels.

Useful for cutting in tight spaces or curved sheet metal IMOP, as opposed to a 4" grinder which is also useful and cheap!
The tools you need naturally "come to you" as time goes on with a 40.

Ya, you're gonna need more than a good socket set on that one...

The list is kinda never ending. There's all them special tools in the FSM I've never used or seen outside of the FSM, and then there's the "tall" 10 ton jack stands I bought last month (Amazon product ASIN B0093NBQNA) and two different crimpers for some wiring I was doing (insulated vs. uninsulated terminals), and cutters and a hydraulic crimper for 0/2 cables for the winch....

(and ya, 10 tons for jackstands is a bit excessive, but there really weren't many other options tall enough to hold the frame up with the tires off the ground).

And a good drill and bits, grinder and a wire wheel and cutoff wheel, and a tap and thread kit, apparently they make "clean out" or chaser kits which I don't have but probably should so there I go getting more now... And that oscillating multi tool with the carbide blade I used to cut the body mount bolts. And the cutoff wheel seemed too messy trimming the U bolts so there has been a sawzall used....

I recently found myself getting a new ball joint remover instead of the old tried and trued pickle fork I've had since forever to replace tie rod ends, which made that a lot quicker and easier. And I don't know how anyone else adjusts toe in and centers the steering without a pipe wrench?

I still don't have JIS screwdrivers... I need to get on that one....
1694036199638.png

1694036225246.png

FJ40 factory cross-head screws are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) not Phillips. Get yourself some JIS screwdrivers and a JIS impact driver. Vessel is a good brand, but there are others as well.
I never knew that they weren't standard Phillips head screws. When I rebuilt my '70 from the frame up in '88 I thought they looked very standard. I will say, the impact driver became my best friend. The hinges around the vehicle were the worst...

Metric tools keep getting mentioned, and yes, of course you’ll need those. However, we shouldn’t discount SAE tools as well.
PO hacks, field fixes, gm conversions etc… you will be needing sae at times.

Socket sets are a whole other story: regular and deep, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drives all come into play. Universal joints for all. Extensions for all.

Then box wrenches, ratcheting wrenches, crescent and pipe, oil filter wrenches…

Tape measures, feeler gauges, dental picks, files, hammers of all sort, spring punches, drifts…

You could hijack a snap on tool truck and still be missing something.

Let’s not forget storage and organization, nothing worse then knowing you have a tool and not being able to find it.

I have a lot of tools and always need more.

All of this is moot though, the best tools you can have are: ingenuity and can do.

Let’s not forget storage and organization, nothing worse then knowing you have a tool and not being able to find it.
X2 for organisation.
Make a shadow board and put everything back where it belongs - every time!
This alone with cut your work in half.

An 8x4 sheet of ply, some screws, and a magic marker, will transform your hourly search for tools

I have never done a rebuild but I got a BoltBuster a few years ago. It allows you to heat up bolts and screws with heat induction to break them loose so no flame is needed. It helps when you need to heat a bolt with near by items that are not going to hold up to a torch. I had a long screw that held the resistor (about 3 inch long) on top of the heater blower motor that I could not get to come off. I did not want to cut or twist the screw because I am not sure where I would of found one like it. Hit is for about 20 seconds with then BoltBuster and the thing come off.

I've found that portable lights are a must. Lately, I've gone with the rechargeable ones because I was tired of changing batteries. A couple of rechargeable cheapo headlamps are nice to have on your workbench. Also, I recently got one of these which I've been happy with thus far.

I've found that portable lights are a must. Lately, I've gone with the rechargeable ones because I was tired of changing batteries. A couple of rechargeable cheapo headlamps are nice to have on your workbench. Also, I recently got one of these which I've been happy with thus far.
Articulating lights with magnetic bases that are rechargeable are very handy as well.

Keep in mind that some auto part stores like "Auto Zone" has a borrow tool program where you can rent for free and buy if you want afterwards for those 1-time needed things like:
  • Spring compressors
  • pully removal tools
  • ball joint removal tools
  • bearing press tools
  • and more
So, no need to buy everything now.

Thanks to Everyone with all of the great advice and tips. I truly appreciate you all taking time to help me out on my project. I'm really impressed with this FJ group of knowledge for my future questions.

Adding to @texcwa Autozone will also test alternators and batteries for free....
Once had a new remanufactured alternator for a 60 series tested dead out of the box...it happens.

Gosh, there are a lot of tools you will need. For starters, figure out what you be working on first. Knowing when and where to buy will help keep costs down. Get a big ass tool locker or several locking tool boxes. It will keep them in one spot or from walking off. I do not lend out my tools unless I come with them, I learned my lesson early. For me to start out I got consecutive metric deep sockets and wrenches(sets). 90* needle nose pliers, test light, and several Cresent tools. A BHF, screw drivers, torque wrench, battery charger, jumper cables, trouble light, and jack stands came later. Make sure they come with a life time warranties and try to buy them during holidays. Christmas and Father's day are great holidys when buying tools. Garage and estate sales may also be great finds. I eventually got a compressor, impact tools and an acetylene torch setup when replacing springs. A multimeter came much later. They are really cheap now and there is no reason not to get one last. And trust me the list will keep growing and you will keep buying them. My favorite tools i love using right now are knipex pliers and wire cutters. Buy good quality tools and you buy them once....unless you lend them out or loose them. I have mostly craftsman, Mac, Snapon, and Husky. I have friends that buy harbor fright tools and they swear they are great tools. I beg to differ. I have another friend who refuses to buy craftsman, he says they constantly break when he uses them. So do your research and buy what works best for you. Anyhow, He only buys Snapons...but he is a mechanic and uses them everyday. Good luck.

Last edited:
Start with a socket set and some wrenches, metric, 6 point.

Most of the fasteners are JIS standards, which for hex heads is a metric size but smaller than actual metric standards. So they are easier to round off the corners on, and why I recommend 6 point sockets to get the maximal grip on each corner.

It will probably be soon that you'll need to remove a tire and need to lift the truck, needing a jack and stands. A good floor jack if you have a smooth surface to work on, or possibly that fancy harbor fright off road jack (it's expensive...). Bottle jacks work, are generally slower and more work.

And soon you break a bolt and have to drill it out, or weld something to it, etc., and enter the world of broken bolt removal and all the tools involved in it's different techniques.

There are a lot of other tools and find need for as time goes, but many are pretty focused on particular tasks (i.e. bearing pullers) that aren't frequent for most of us.

I'm forgetful and have a tendency to misplace tools while in the midst of working on a project. At the conclusion, when cleaning up, it is nice to know if all tools are present and accounted for or if I need to go on a scavenger hunt. Thus, as others have stated above, for me anyway, organization is a necessity.

09.13.2023.Tools.1.jpg

09.13.2023.Tools.2.jpg

09.13.2023.Tools.3.jpg

09.13.2023.Tools.4.jpg

09.13.2023.Tools.5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom