My brother's FJ40 - a possible build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been a lurker on the ih8mud boards for many years and have spent many hours reading countless posts about FJ40s and 100 series trucks. I think this is the best source of knowledge for anyone working on these vehicles. I want to thank everyone that contributes to this community.

I have always liked Toyota products. I have owned a 1993 Lexus SC400 and a 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser. Wish I had never sold them. I currently own a 2002 Lexus LX470. I bought the LX470 in 2003 with just under 30K on it. I currently have over 190K on the odometer and plan to keep this one forever. The members of this forum have saved me many hours and a lot of money over the last few years keeping the LX470 in good order.

So why am I posting after lurking for so long?

My oldest brother recently passed away from a brain tumor and left his belongings, including a 1980 Toyota FJ40, to me and my two older brothers. Neither of of my brothers is interested in the FJ40, so I can either buy them out or we will sell it. I would like to keep the truck and fix it up a bit. My wife and a number of friends have encouraged me to keep it as a project vehicle. ArkansasLarry has also encouraged me to keep it. His complete restore is one of the best looking FJ40s I have seen. I am not sure if it is going to be practical to keep this truck long term, but even if we sell it some repairs will be needed.

The truck's history: This 1980 FJ40 was originally owned by a gunsmith in Fort Smith, Arkansas. My dad bought it in the late 80's as a hunting vehicle. My oldest brother bought it from my dad sometime in the early 90's. He has owned it since then. He loved the truck. He used it for hunting and an occasional daily driver and in 2002 he had the engine rebuilt. For the last ten years the truck has seen little use. My brother used it for hunting three years ago and it has sat in his drive way uncovered since then. The hard top has sat out for twenty years. The doors have been garage stored and are all in good shape.

As his health began to decline in the last few months, I was determined to get it running. I wanted him to know it was running. I swapped the dead battery with a new battery he had in his garage and tried to start it. It turned over but would not start. I swapped the fuel filter, siphoned the old fuel out of the tank, and replaced it with fresh fuel. After about a minute of cranking, it started up. I have been running the truck over the last month on warm days just to see if any leaks develop. It has been running fairly well for having sat out so long. It is finicky about starting sometimes and the brakes are very weak. It also has two drops of oil under it about 2 inches apart.

Here are a few pictures of the truck:

8301303977_7fcf452b9f_c.jpg

8301304409_b9a861724e_c.jpg

8301304667_0d9a276fb0_c.jpg

8301305489_7c17f24228_c.jpg

8301306189_1e59af4596_c.jpg

Here is an action shot with my brother at the wheel from 2005:

8311396211_7a2782e06a_c.jpg

Over the weekend I have tried to organize my thoughts on prioritizing repairs. Some are critical mechanical repairs and others are just to improve the look and roll the clock back on the truck.

Here is my list:

Mechanical

✔︎ Brakes - bleed, rebuild master cylinder
Manifold leak - Getting the tea pot whistle sometimes
Exhaust leak - Fix or Desmog
✔︎ Fuel pump - Replaced
Carb rebuild
✔︎ Radiator - Replaced with aluminum radiator

Body

✔︎ Replace Head Lights
Replace Turn markers
✔︎ Replace Tail Lights
Remove front bumper/brush guard and paint
Rebuild Warn Winch Model 8274
Repair rust in driver foot well
Replace badges
Paint body

Interior

✔︎ Replace Seat belts
✔︎ Replace Seat Covers and foam
Factory Roll Bar - Remove and Paint
Roll Bar Pads - Paint with Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Coating
Dash Pad - Silicone filler and Dupli-Color for now. Replace eventually
✔︎ Polish switch knobs and paint lettering
✔︎ Fix odometer - add EL with to gauge cluster

I will be posting each project and will look forward to all of the wisdom available here. I hope be the end I have shared something back to this community.

So, every long journey begins with one step...

I have already done the first project: I flipped the front bezel that was installed upside down. I know many of you noticed this right off. ;)

Last edited:
I also have my older brother's Cruiser. Through its ownership, my brother has taught me patience, massively improved my wrenching skills, provided hundreds of great memories, and introduced me to many of my very best friends.
Thanks Bro!

Keep it forever. I've got a '73 FJ40, I'll never sell it. Looks good, a bit of TLC and it'll last.
Nice looking rig, have fun!

My brother passed on 3 years ago and I kept his fj40 in his memory my youngest brother and I are planing to fix what he could not finish and give it to my bros oldest son once he is able to drive. That's a beautiful truck you got there keep it if you can.

When you buy out your brothers shares, first convince them that this Fj40 isn't worth much because of Bezel and racing stripes issues. Afterwards, remember that it couldn't possibly pull their vehicles out of a ditch. Unless a fee applies, of course.

Hiya, sorry about your brother. i would think with your family history with the rig, definitely keep it. It'd be a great vehicle to run up and down the ouachitas and Ozarks. Best regards, ty
:beer:

You've already had regrets over two other Toyotas you've sold, and neither had the value of belonging to your brother attached to them.

Selling this truck would be a huge mistake, especially with the photo you posted with him wheelin in it.

Take your time, and do what is necessary to make it run safely and reliably. Then it's a never ending project.

ENJOY IT!!

Another vote for keeping it. The sentimental value makes it far more valuable to you than some dickhead on craigslist!

I would keep it, nice looking 40.

Sorry about your loss. I say keep it. My late brother in law who was killed in Afghanistan is responsible for my interest in Fj40's. I regret not buying his when he sold it. It wasn't a practical daily driver as a PFC for me in the ARMY back then. He sold it and the new buyer took it to Puerto Rico and sold it while stationed there. I often wonder where that cruiser is now and wish I could buy it if I had the chance. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Thank you for all the kind words and encouragement! I am ready to start on some of the issues but the weather has turned very cold. Have to do more ih8mud research in front of a warm computer.

I have to agree with everyone here - with the sentimental value of the vehicle, along with your love of Toyotas, this sounds like a great rig for you.

Plus, for what it's worth, the land cruiser community (particularly here on MUD) are some of the friendliest, most helpful folks I've ever come across when it comes to classic car (truck) restoration. Having an army of enthusiastic cruiserheads at your back is invaluable.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

Keep it, and when your driving down the road it will feel like your brother is riding copilot smiling.

1980 is one of the most desirable and valuable years. From '77 onward you are into the best features to be found on the FJ40. Disk brakes, electronic ignition, etc. Some may disagree, but I know what makes them valuable to me.

Some things that will help...

I have been doing a lot of research and getting some things together. This came in the other day from Amazon. Should come in handy on all those rusted bolts. I have already been putting it on some of the bolts.

8422620040_9325946bd5_c.jpg

Also found these in with my bother's books. Should be very helpful.

8421522309_01847516a4_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom