Is there a trick to removing stuck tie rod ends? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Im doing a PS conversion (HJ47) and I need to replace the tie rod ends on my donor tie rods (75 series.)

I have the new ends and all match up, I have measured the origional length and will get the new length as close as possible.

BUT im stuck on how to remove the old ends. I have removed the locking bolts/nuts. but the ends wont budge?

Do I stick one end in a vice and twist? I have soaked them in WD40 for a full day but still they wont budge?

Any help appreciated!

FWIW when I did mine on my 60 series I found a monkey/pipe wrench with an extension pipe on the end for leverage very helpful.

Using an anvil or similar place threaded portion of tie rod end and tie rod on anvil and smack it with hammer to smunch rust. Should come apart easy. Some tie rod take-off tools will reach into split portion of tie rod and spread it abit.

IMHO WD40 is not a good penetrating oil. Get something like Kroil or PB Blaster and try again.

I have had success by taking a large flat blade screwdriver with a square shank and putting the tip of the blade into the slot on the tie rod where the TRE threads in. Take an adjustable wrench and turn the screwdriver back and forth in an effort to open up the clamping area. Won’t move much, but can allow the penetrating oil some working room.

The pipe wrench as mentioned is the only way to rotate the tie rod.

Jerry D.

Another thing to consider is that it may be cheaper and easier to source some aftermarket beefed up tie rods that are clean and not rusted. They are fairly cheap. I have seen several original units that were so rusted out they should not be reused.

The trick:
Leave them installed until you break the rod free with a pipe wrench with a 4 foot cheater pipe on the end. Once it turns, then remove the assembly.

Also can use a steering arm from a knuckle if you have one lying around. gives you good leverage.

I got them!

What a pain of a job! only took 1:20hr.

Heat, rust dissolve and a huge pipe! I didnt end up using a big wrench, I used a soft jawed vice (which I bent!) and then up the pipe straight over the tie rod end and hung my weight of it. There was one point when I was in the air holding the pipe!

Thanks again for the advice.

I have had success by taking a large flat blade screwdriver with a square shank and putting the tip of the blade into the slot on the tie rod where the TRE threads in. Take an adjustable wrench and turn the screwdriver back and forth in an effort to open up the clamping area. Won’t move much, but can allow the penetrating oil some working room.
sorry to resurrect and old thread but just wanted to THANK YOU Mr Jerry for this little nugget. have an 80 series with 4 stuck tie rod ends and this trick worked beautifully to open things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom