Insurance Implications of Off-Road Recoveries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
Could use some insights from anyone that's made an insurance claim for an off-road recovery before. This is keeping it real and maybe useful for the rest of us that enjoy this hobby, as it inherently has risks to health and personal property. Wakeup call for sure.

Just got home from a trail run where unfortunately someone in the group flopped their newer 2018 vehicle on its side. Coming down a really steep trail where a tire was put wrong. Sorry if I'm being vague as to protect the parties involved. It's a couple miles off a main road in the San Diego region.

Curtain airbags did go off. It's in a super tricky spot, single track, rutted out climb, with a turn-around at the top. It's flopped at near the top and none of us can get past the vehicle to winch from the proper angle to right-side it. Pulling from below the rig presents some serious risks, and is potentially not possible as there's no trees to re-direct winch lines.

I'm afraid this is a professional recovery effort. Are off-road incidents covered by insurance?

Is a claim like this inherently different than regular on-road insurance claim and what are the future insurance implications?

Maybe naïve but I'm sure we all have insurance to cover accidents - but I guess it's not clear if it covers activities like this. If it were an off-road toy that is expected to be wadded up, it's one thing, but none of our rigs tend to be cheap and we engage in these higher risk activities?

Good question and no idea. Can the Lc200 curtain airbags be turned off like on the GX?

Good question and no idea. Can the Lc200 curtain airbags be turned off like on the GX?
Yes, they can. But I also know that @TeCKis300 rolls with an eclectic group. Could be a bronco, Mercedes, Tesla truck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Could use some insights from anyone that's made an insurance claim for an off-road recovery before. This is keeping it real and maybe useful for the rest of us that enjoy this hobby, as it inherently has risks to health and personal property. Wakeup call for sure.

Just got home from a trail run where unfortunately someone in the group flopped their newer 2018 vehicle on its side. Coming down a really steep trail where a tire was put wrong. Sorry if I'm being vague as to protect the parties involved. It's a couple miles off a main road in the San Diego region.

Curtain airbags did go off. It's in a super tricky spot, single track, rutted out climb, with a turn-around at the top. It's flopped at near the top and none of us can get past the vehicle to winch from the proper angle to right-side it. Pulling from below the rig presents some serious risks, and is potentially not possible as there's no trees to re-direct winch lines.

I'm afraid this is a professional recovery effort. Are off-road incidents covered by insurance?

Is a claim like this inherently different than regular on-road insurance claim and what are the future insurance implications?

Maybe naïve but I'm sure we all have insurance to cover accidents - but I guess it's not clear if it covers activities like this. If it were an off-road toy that is expected to be wadded up, it's one thing, but none of our rigs tend to be cheap and we engage in these higher risk activities?
I’ve had recovery done after my father “slid off” a forest road. It was about 18 years ago but IIRC because it was within a certain number of feet of a “road” they covered it and even covered repairing his blown front diff when he tried to o hard to get unstuck.

Are you anywhere near smothering that’s considered a road? Also, it would be worth calling the recovery company itself.

Yes, they can. But I also know that @TeCKis300 rolls with an eclectic group. Could be a bronco, Mercedes, Tesla truck 🤷🏻‍♂️
Not all years. I can’t remember whether it was with the other small mid-cycle changes in 2018 or another year, but they eventually removed the button.

Speculation that it was a mandated law change, or improved logic leading to the button not being needed… it’s all speculation. But certain years got it and others didn’t.

Good question, would like to know definitely if my comprehensive insurance will cover my truck if it rolled on the trail. Not like I’d do a trail that could lead to that but would like to know in case that day comes.

Not all years. I can’t remember whether it was with the other small mid-cycle changes in 2018 or another year, but they eventually removed the button.

Speculation that it was a mandated law change, or improved logic leading to the button not being needed… it’s all speculation. But certain years got it and others didn’t.
I’m pretty sure there’s the option to long press a different button even if you don’t have it.

I’m willing to bet on it.
never mind. I didn't see a definitive answer, but I guess i was wrong....

Bit late to sign up if they didn't already have it, but AAA will cover you as long as it's a named/numbered road -- including National Forest Svc, BLM/NP etc. roads. If it's a designated 4x4 "trail", you're likely on you own dime with every carrier/roadside assistance plan.

Sorry to hear about that, Paul. I hope everyone if okay. That is a major bummer.

Thanks guys. Everything will be okay, but lessons learned.

Makes me also re-evaluate as the natural tendency is build more and to take on more extreme obstacles. Guess what they say in Jeep circles is true that it's not a matter of if you'll roll over, but when, because mistakes will happen doing this long enough.

I'm finally relating this to the same slippery slope for track days in sports cars where the wise will tell you that whatever you put on the track, you should be willing to wad up. I thought throwing more precious hardware with more HP was the way to have more fun. Fortunately that never happened, but re-evaluating, less can be more, to the pocket book and safety, which is why Miata's are always the answer? Maybe not :).

My 80 had a mere 2” lift, 315 MT’s, no armor, and was triple locked. This allowed me to get into a situation I shouldn’t have been in.. and flopped it. The incredible, expensive pain in the ass this was to get 900 miles home and the truck back into working condition made an impression. Now I have little appetite for heavy things on my roof, or even pushing hard on trails at all.

End of the day the rig was more capable than I was, in my case. Being aware of that is pretty valuable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom