Installing Rear Swing-Out Bumper - Metal Tech Pegasus for GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lastgreatroadtrip.com
For those of you considering the Metal Tech 4x4's new rear swing-out bumper, the Pegasus, or are waiting for your order to show up, here is the installation video showing just how simple it is. We spent most of the day and into the night, take after take to ensure we captured each of the steps require to install the bumper. Hope it helps.

BTW: this bumper is what prompted us to pick up a GX470 of our own so it was pure selfishness we made this video :) We're looking forward to working our GX470 into an overland travel oriented truck.

Last edited:
Well done! Hopefully this will come in handy for me very soon.

Well done! Hopefully this will come in handy for me very soon.
Thank you. It should be easy, the most time consuming part is prep, removing all the plastic and then getting your wire harnesses built and run if you go for all the extras. Good luck with your build.

Thx for putting together this video- I just ordered my Pegasus yesterday after meeting Mark at Expo West. One thing I forgot to ask- instead of installing the double power on both side steps, is there enough room behind that space to use one of the holes for an air compressor outlet? Thx again.

Thx for putting together this video- I just ordered my Pegasus yesterday after meeting Mark at Expo West. One thing I forgot to ask- instead of installing the double power on both side steps, is there enough room behind that space to use one of the holes for an air compressor outlet? Thx again.

That's a great question and if i remember correctly there is but please check with Mark on that and let us know. That would be a great spot for an on-board air take off.

I just confirmed with one of the production managers at MetalTech that there is enough room to run an air outlet. So I'll give that a try when the bumper arrives and let you guys know.

I just confirmed with one of the production managers at MetalTech that there is enough room to run an air outlet. So I'll give that a try when the bumper arrives and let you guys know.

That should be very cool... can't wait to see pictures of how it turns out!

So I finally got the bumper mounted yesterday. Didn't take enough pics, but I did run an air hose into the driver side "step". Haven't had a chance connect it all up, but it's installed and feels incredibly solid. Unfortunately I did have to remove the GOBI ladder to fit the swing arm, so I'll need to find another solution for the rotopax.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my exhaust tucked up higher- it looks so weird hanging that low now. Any suggestions?

IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG

Last edited:
Stopped by a local muffler shop with good reviews and he tucked the exhaust up nicely. He also chopped the extra length off the spare tire mount. All for $50. Can't beat that.

IMG_0083.JPG

I have had mine chopped where he cut (a little further out) for a long time, just dump into the wheel well. No whistle, no fumes.

It hasn't been very long but I can't tell any difference.

Thought I'd share a couple things I learned for anyone planning to install this bumper. First, if you bought the rated hitch mount as well, I found it best to install that first before the frame-mounted bolts. That lined up the bumper nicely. Second, if you have swapped out the barn door latch with a gas strut (very common mod for a GX), the door swings too far with the recommended 24" strut, hitting the edge of the new bumper. I had to order a 23" strut instead to limit the swing. 23.5" would have been perfect but I couldn't find one that length.

I really appreciate the video. We cut the packaging open on a Saturday and there were no instructions so it really helped us out. They e-mailed them to me today and are working to get them on the web site. If you are going to do this on a weekend, call them and they will e-mail you the instructions

A couple of questions for those that have installed this. After you remove the bumper and mud flaps and put the new Bumper on, what did you do with these covers, Remove or trim?
IMG_0124.JPG

And the rear trim piece you put back on. Mine has gaps on both sides, is this the same for your install? I found the part number to be from Lexus 5216160050 and it is the same for 2003 to 2009. I called Metal tech and they didnt think there should be a gap there, but were researching what could cause it

the bumper is flush against the 4 bolts for the hitch and also the fram rail holes line up, so I don't think it needs to be pushed back more
IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

I think this is a great product with lots of cool features and very well made.

I just trimmed mine. No reason to remove them that I saw

Thanks, could you take a similar picture of the rear trim seal I have above. I would be interested to see if you have the same gap or maybe the bumper has more to it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom