Installation of 90 degree oil filter adapter on 1FZFE (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks all. Just more effort than I had expected.

Thanks all. Just more effort than I had expected.

Is this thread really solving something or is it more chasing after a problem for a proposed backyard garage solution? I'm all for ingenuity, but even at a half banana max DIY guy, it takes me < half an hour to change the engine oil on my 1FZ-FE with factory parts.

Even if it cuts down time/effort by 80%, I still wouldn't take a chance on my 9K mile young 1FZ-FE as there's no R&D to support it whatsoever whereas the long standing approach has been engineered by Toyota and repeated a gajillion times.

Perhaps I'm missing something here which could very well be the case. Gracias.

Last edited:
Oh probably. But as a guy who designs Fords I needed at least one part on the Land Cruiser I could point at when my boss asks why I still drive a Toyota.

Is this thread really solving something or is it more chasing after a problem for a proposed backyard garage solution? I'm all for ingenuity, but even at a half banana max DIY guy, it takes me < half an hour to change the engine oil on my 1FZ-FE with factory parts.

Even if it cuts down time/effort by 80%, I still wouldn't take a chance on my 9K mile young 1FZ-FE as there's no R&D to support it whatsoever whereas the long standing approach has been engineered by Toyota and repeated a gajillion times.

Perhaps I'm missing something here which could very well be the case. Gracias.

I'm pretty sure the main point is to just have the oil filter vertical and reducing the mess during oil change. And getting to list it as a mod...

Reactions: KTP
I'm pretty sure the main point is to just have the oil filter vertical and reducing the mess during oil change. And getting to list it as a mod...
Never thought of that one and haven't really cared about the mess, But... It's been 8 years since I installed this on my son's 94 to eliminate the startup rattle. Still doing the trick. No startup rattle.

Never thought of that one and haven't really cared about the mess, But... It's been 8 years since I installed this on my son's 94 to eliminate the startup rattle. Still doing the trick. No startup rattle.

Ah I do recall some people having the rattle. Seems a pretty simple solution for it.

I'm pretty sure the main point is to just have the oil filter vertical and reducing the mess during oil change.

Start up rattle for some folks and you can completely avoid the 'mess' with a vertical filter by placing a ziplock bag over the filter (after loosening) and unscrew it, zip bag. Captures the oil and oil filter...then just work it either up or down out of the vehicle (depending on whether you remove from top or bottom).

This.

I get the ‘rattle’ if I go an extended period of letting the 80 sit, so every time this pops up, I keep thinking I’ll do it to mine rather than rely on the anti-drainback thing.

FWIW, I’m not one to care about the mess but the latex glove I unscrew the filter just gets turned inside-out over the filter & the last gloved hand wipes the bulk of the oil off the axle housing. Do the job laying on cardboard & when done I rarely even see over a couple drops from the job.

My leaking gaskets…..well, they just do what they do :meh:

I came across a picture of the Toyota 15609-75010
IMG_5091.JPG

I thought I would add my two cents to this thread. My cruiser went from having the luxury of being able to be parked in my parents garage most nights, to now sitting outside in Aspen Colorado. I have always had a faint cold start rattle that never bugged me too much, but enough for me to stumble onto this thread. I thought I would give this a shot as I didn't see any downsides. Easier oil changes, more readily available oil filters (that have a general consensus as being a really good filter), and hopefully building oil pressure faster which can't be a bad thing. $150 later and I threw this bad boy on before moving up to Aspen.

All I can say is after two months of the old girl sitting outside and having to start every morning in the fridgid temps and I have had ZERO cold start rattle. I can also semi confidently say that I seeing slightly higher oil pressure all over the board, from driving it hard, to idling when its warm, I swear the gauge is 1/5th higher then where it always use to sit.

Knock on wood but my truck has been running very well. 291,000 miles and doing a lot of cold starts with short drives and she's been a trooper still not burning any considerable amount of oil. If anyone is waffling on getting this adapter like I did for quite some time, I would recommend it. Only down side I could ever see with it is there possibly being another spot for it to leak oil from, but that hasn't been an issue yet.

Cheers!

IMG_3312.jpeg

IMG_3355.jpeg

I thought I would add my two cents to this thread. My cruiser went from having the luxury of being able to be parked in my parents garage most nights, to now sitting outside in Aspen Colorado. I have always had a faint cold start rattle that never bugged me too much, but enough for me to stumble onto this thread. I thought I would give this a shot as I didn't see any downsides. Easier oil changes, more readily available oil filters (that have a general consensus as being a really good filter), and hopefully building oil pressure faster which can't be a bad thing. $150 later and I threw this bad boy on before moving up to Aspen.

All I can say is after two months of the old girl sitting outside and having to start every morning in the fridgid temps and I have had ZERO cold start rattle. I can also semi confidently say that I seeing slightly higher oil pressure all over the board, from driving it hard, to idling when its warm, I swear the gauge is 1/5th higher then where it always use to sit.

Knock on wood but my truck has been running very well. 291,000 miles and doing a lot of cold starts with short drives and she's been a trooper still not burning any considerable amount of oil. If anyone is waffling on getting this adapter like I did for quite some time, I would recommend it. Only down side I could ever see with it is there possibly being another spot for it to leak oil from, but that hasn't been an issue yet.

Cheers!

View attachment 3236679

View attachment 3236680

I think your higher oil pressure is wishful thinking.
If all else in the system is the same, higher oil pressure from fitting this means it's creating a slight restriction of oil flow. Not a positive.

I'm not convinced it makes an easier oil change. Jury is still out.

Ive always changed the filters unscrewing them one handed from above. With this adapter fitted, I have to get under the truck, reach through tie rods, panhard rod, panhard brace etc and it's in a less accessible position to grip it

So how many people are running this now, and how do you like it?

With or without adapter?

I put one on mine. Send like a cool addition. I'm unconvinced it was worth the money.

No issues with it, just not sure it solves $100+ worth of frustrations
More like $150 now. :oops: Are you running the Ford filters, or Mr. T with adapter?

FWIW if I'm running the 90 degree adapter I remove the adapter and oil filter
as a unit working from above and pull them both up and out (after first disconnecting the high tension lead to the distributor and pushing the wire out of the way for more room). Installation also from above. Only possible disadvantage is the O-ring for the adapter gets a bit flattened so might have to replace that O-ring more often (?every filter change).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom