Installation of 90 degree oil filter adapter on 1FZFE (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW if I'm running the 90 degree adapter I remove the adapter and oil filter
as a unit working from above and pull them both up and out (after first disconnecting the high tension lead to the distributor and pushing the wire out of the way for more room). Installation also from above. Only possible disadvantage is the O-ring for the adapter gets a bit flattened so might have to replace that O-ring more often (?every filter change).
You running the new version now, or the one you started the thread with?

FWIW if I'm running the 90 degree adapter I remove the adapter and oil filter
as a unit working from above and pull them both up and out (after first disconnecting the high tension lead to the distributor and pushing the wire out of the way for more room). Installation also from above. Only possible disadvantage is the O-ring for the adapter gets a bit flattened so might have to replace that O-ring more often (?every filter change).

Interesting idea.

Took a photo tonight.

PXL_20230217_100332767.jpg

With the adapter, I can't get a good grip on the oil filter to spin it off by hand. Not enough room for fingers between PS - FILTER - ENGINE MOUNT. And, it has to be done from underneath, in and around the frame braces, tie rods, panhard etc.

By comparison, the standard location, the filter is easily gripped by hand, by reaching in from over the fender. There's a few houses and wires in the way, but they push out of the way.
Small style filter is even easier.

PXL_20230217_100349550.jpg

Interesting idea.

Took a photo tonight.

View attachment 3250418

With the adapter, I can't get a good grip on the oil filter to spin it off by hand. Not enough room for fingers between PS - FILTER - ENGINE MOUNT. And, it has to be done from underneath, in and around the frame braces, tie rods, panhard etc.

By comparison, the standard location, the filter is easily gripped by hand, by reaching in from over the fender. There's a few houses and wires in the way, but they push out of the way.
Small style filter is even easier.

View attachment 3250419

Can you use an oil filter 'cap' to first loosen it and then spin the cap by hand from above. Looks like the cap would stick down past the mounts enough to get your fingers on that.

Once the filter is easy enough spin by hand, slip a gallon size 'baggie' over the filter and oil filter cap and continue to spin the filter off. The oil and filter will be caught in the baggie (must less oil mess to clean up).

Last edited:
I don't mind removing the filter from above, reaching my hand over the fender into the bay. What I do mind is all the oil that runs down the block and onto my garage floor. I put cardboard underneath the 80 and wipe everything down afterwards, but still seems unnecessary.

I've tried the Joey method of puncturing the filter first before removing it and letting some of the old oil drain out, but that's a PITA in and of itself.

In Tacomas there's that crescent moon disc under the filter that catches the old oil still left in the filter.

Can you use an oil filter 'cap' to first loosen it and then spin the cap by hand from above. Looks like the cap would stick down past the mounts enough to get your fingers on that.

Once the filter is easy enough spin by hand, slip a gallon size 'baggie' over the filter and oil filter cap and continue to spin the filter off. The oil and filter will be caught in the baggie (must less oil mess to clean up).

I'm sure this could be done.

It means I need a tool for something I've always used my hand for..
Doesn't resolve the awkward access from underneath.

I think @Kernal idea has merit. Something to try in the future.

The things that appealed about this adapter was less chance of an oil spill removing an old filter. And easy to fill the new filter with oil before installing without spilling it.

A rag held under the filter while quickly spinning it on/off by hand takes care of a fair bit of the oil, but it still leaves a mess

When I'm not using the oil filter adapter (original style) I stuff a lot
of paper towels under the horizontally mounted filter pushed up to the block then build a "bridge" of paper towels out about a foot (I know, OCD).

Then I remove the filter while standing by the fender reaching down, get the filter loose using a cap type filter wrench and flex head ratchet. As soon as the filter comes off the threads I quickly flip it upside down an attempt to not dribble oil all over and pull the filter up and out. The paper towels are there to catch any spillage. Install a new filter, reconnect the distributor to coil wire. Done.

I have this adapter installed on my truck currently and am coming up on an oil change. Since you're under the truck for the drain plug, it's not like you're saving a trip underneath. My filter wrench in an extension mockup during install made it look like it would be a piece of cake to swap the filter. I'll find our soon enough but it seems significantly less messy and easier from underneath. I used to have a Gen1 Chevy V8 in my truck and I missed that mess free vertical orientation where I could do a full oil change and barely get my fingers dirty. Seems like the same setup now.

I have this adapter installed on my truck currently and am coming up on an oil change. Since you're under the truck for the drain plug, it's not like you're saving a trip underneath. My filter wrench in an extension mockup during install made it look like it would be a piece of cake to swap the filter. I'll find our soon enough but it seems significantly less messy and easier from underneath. I used to have a Gen1 Chevy V8 in my truck and I missed that mess free vertical orientation where I could do a full oil change and barely get my fingers dirty. Seems like the same setup now.
Maybe that's the way to do it. Wrench and extension. Let us know how it goes

I think its an opportunity to keep oil in the filter so there is oil immediately flowing upon start. Either that or Fordl owners have found a way to mess with excellence. I’m not sure.

I use an oil filter sandwich plate to pull oil pressure data: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PLNDF2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

If I installed the B50 version of this 90 degree adapter, I suppose I could put the sandwich plate either against the block or above the filter although I would prefer to install the sandwich plate against the block which would push the 90 degree adapter away from the block about 1".

For those of you that have installed the 90 degree adapter, do you have any thoughts on whether that orientation would work for this setup?

I installed the 90 degree adapter and used it for a while , but it still had oil running down on the axle every time I pulled the filter. So when the new engine went in the adapter did not. Maybe in the future i will re install it. I believe a remote filter would work better something the drained the oil back into the system before You change it, or at least in a location where its easier to catch the run off.

I installed the 90 degree adapter and used it for a while , but it still had oil running down on the axle every time I pulled the filter. So when the new engine went in the adapter did not. Maybe in the future i will re install it. I believe a remote filter would work better something the drained the oil back into the system before You change it, or at least in a location where its easier to catch the run off.

Once the filter is loose....take a gallon size zip/loc 'baggie' and put it over the filter and continue to screw it off. Then bring the baggie (with filter) out. Very little run off to clean up after that.

I use an oil filter sandwich plate to pull oil pressure data: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PLNDF2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

If I installed the B50 version of this 90 degree adapter, I suppose I could put the sandwich plate either against the block or above the filter although I would prefer to install the sandwich plate against the block which would push the 90 degree adapter away from the block about 1".

For those of you that have installed the 90 degree adapter, do you have any thoughts on whether that orientation would work for this setup?
I don't have the parts, so this is just speculation, but why couldn't you just drill and tap the adapter for the sensors?

I don't have the parts, so this is just speculation, but why couldn't you just drill and tap the adapter for the sensors?
Hmm, that's an interesting idea.

Just my opinion but I don't really understand this mod, for me the 1fz filter is easily removed? seems like you are just adding another possible leakage / failure point.
I had it for a while, that's the conclusion I came to. Plus I change the oil like once a year, or even less. :lol:

Just my opinion but I don't really understand this mod, for me the 1fz filter is easily removed? seems like you are just adding another possible leakage / failure point.
I did it just in case it reduces the initial startup rattle - in which case it certainly can't hurt. I don't think anyone is doing it to make a less messy oil change?

For the ones who did this mod for the startup rattle, did it help? I only read one or two people talk about how it helped the rattle. But the rest is about less oil spillage when changing filters.

I have been having rattle at cold startup when its been sitting for a few days. One of the suggestions was to do this mod to help keep oil in filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom