Install a Spacer to prevent lean? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, would anyone recommend installing a spacer to boost up the driver side lean on my 60? I don't have the money now to buy new springs and don't know what kind of lift it has on there.

Any thoughts?

You could try installing a longer shackle on that side. Currently my passenger side front spring is tweaked and it was way low on that side. I swapped a spare rear shackle on to that side, which is about 1-1/2" longer and now my car is level (I'll eventually replace the front springs). Car doesn't seem to steer or handle any differently. Maybe a tad less precise. But my steering box has a lot of intentional slop (to save it from washboard roads) so it's hard to tell one way or another.

You could try installing a longer shackle on that side. Currently my passenger side front spring is tweaked and it was way low on that side. I swapped a spare rear shackle on to that side, which is about 1-1/2" longer and now my car is level (I'll eventually replace the front springs). Car doesn't seem to steer or handle any differently. Maybe a tad less precise. But my steering box has a lot of intentional slop (to save it from washboard roads) so it's hard to tell one way or another.

Thanks for the suggestion of the longer shackle I'll look into seeing what's all involved in installing that

Yes, definitely, I'd suggest a spacer to fix a lean on a worn suspension. It's basically a short leaf that goes in on the high side, since they're spring-under-axle to lower that down a bit. Our new springs come with a spacer built in to allow the installer to correct for any lean issues.

So many people have installed LH and RH springs on the wrong sides in the rear, so it also could be a problem with that. It would be a bit of labor (free if you do it though), but if you pull both rear springs, stand them on the floor upside down and see if one is taller than the other (measure the height from the level floor to the leaf spring, that's the "free height"). If that was on the "high" side of your truck, swap it over to the other to correct the lean.

Yes, definitely, I'd suggest a spacer to fix a lean on a worn suspension. It's basically a short leaf that goes in on the high side, since they're spring-under-axle to lower that down a bit. Our new springs come with a spacer built in to allow the installer to correct for any lean issues.

So many people have installed LH and RH springs on the wrong sides in the rear, so it also could be a problem with that. It would be a bit of labor (free if you do it though), but if you pull both rear springs, stand them on the floor upside down and see if one is taller than the other (measure the height from the level floor to the leaf spring, that's the "free height"). If that was on the "high" side of your truck, swap it over to the other to correct the lean.
I think I'll try installing a spacer on the high sider first to see if that helps. Thanks so much for the advice. Doesn't sound too complicated at all.

Adding a longer shackle really is not ideal. It throws off the suspension geometry, and on these old rigs u need all the proper geometry u can get. I would either add a leaf to the sagging side, or install a spacer in between the spring and perch on the high side to lower it a little.
If the delta between the 2 sides is close to 1 inch sag... would it be safe to say that I should look for a 1 inch spacer?

If you ad a spacer to one side it will affect the other side as well. For example, if you are soa and sagging on one side 1" in ride height-if you add a 1/2" spacer on the low side, it will raise the low side by half and inch, and lower the high side by half an inch. Keep in mind this is in a perfect world, and spring rate can affect this to some affect. So sometimes it won't be 50 50 like I described but usually it will be close. I would try a 1/4" to start and see how it sits.

If you ad a spacer to one side it will affect the other side as well. For example, if you are soa and sagging on one side 1" in ride height-if you add a 1/2" spacer on the low side, it will raise the low side by half and inch, and lower the high side by half an inch. Keep in mind this is in a perfect world, and spring rate can affect this to some affect. So sometimes it won't be 50 50 like I described but usually it will be close. I would try a 1/4" to start and see how it sits.

White Stripe, thanks a ton for the input! I'll take a picture before and after of the 1/2" spacer install and see out it works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom