FJ60 Drivers Side Lean - Easy Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just this week I installed an OME system in my 1987 FJ60, I also did this about 15+ years ago w/ another FJ60 and as I recall, I had the same drivers side lean that I have now.

Going deep in my memory banks and after a lot of trial and error from before, I recall installing a shim in a counter intuitive location to correct the lean. Yep - that was it, I installed a 3/8" x 4" metal plate sold by CCOT above the spring pack in the rear of the passenger side.

Just like 15+ years ago it worked like a champ this time again and took nearly an inch of lean down to about 1/8", I don't claim to understand the geometery, but it works it even contributed to improving the lean on the front also.

Hope this helps all those like me (OCD) that can not live with that lean.

Now to take care pesky rake- hopefully with some sand bags and a couple of months of driving it will level out a bit.

Thanks

FJ60Rake.jpg
FJ60Rake.jpg
FJ60Rake.jpg

are the rears heavies?
is it leaning toward the driver side?
the front, do either of the packs have a + sign on them?

are the rears heavies?
is it leaning toward the driver side?
the front, do either of the packs have a + sign on them?
These are good questions and I probably should have been more specific earlier

The fronts are CS004F (Heavy) the drivers side has a "+" and the passenger side has a "0"
The rears are both CS004RB (Medium) and both are marked with a "+"

It is leaning towards the drivers side. Significantly reduced w/ the addition of the described above 3/8" spacer.

I had the same problem 3-4 years ago. Same amount of driver side lean. I ended up carting around a few sand bags on the passenger side rear for 6-8 months. It is sitting nice now. I like your idea. I am also curious how replacing the body mount bushings might improve things? Thanks for the write up.

You installed the shim on the driver’s side spring pack? Between the axle plate and the lower plate?

My brain feels like it’s about to break when I think about the simple geometry by I think that would lower that side, no? I can feel the smoke coming out of my ears trying to parse this.

Yes - you are correct. The geometry is a little ass backwards, but I put the shim on the passenger rear side above the spring pack. It works - trust me.
I used the same CCOT plate on my 83 FJ 60 about 1 1/2 years ago. Had the same 1 inch drivers side lean ( put plate on passenger side) and it leveled mine out. Granted my OME lift was not new and had been put on by the PO years before I bought my cruiser but like @FlyingMuleRider said it works and is an easy fix.

These are good questions and I probably should have been more specific earlier

The fronts are CS004F (Heavy) the drivers side has a "+" and the passenger side has a "0"
The rears are both CS004RB (Medium) and both are marked with a "+"

It is leaning towards the drivers side. Significantly reduced w/ the addition of the described above 3/8" spacer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom