Importing a 1982 FJ45 Troopy to SOCAL (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I had decided to fully frame restore my dad's 1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45 Troopy (gasoline 2F engine). I will be getting the car from Aleppo, Syria as it is just sitting there like a duck and getting coated with dust. So I decided to do a project out of it while being in San Diego, and my trusted mechanics and body shop repairs are all there. But before I go ahead with the whole process I wanted to get you guys' opinion. Would I be able to have it registered in CA and drive? or is it better to just have it imported and cleared from the customs and have it for sale in a different state?

I have attached some photos below:

370bc5ad-3597-46a2-ae81-5c2b32f0d1d6.JPG

5d4d3196-01ea-40c9-9fa7-0a2248967831.JPG

4e4aa0ed-1d72-4c5a-bf47-2ace1f149548.JPG

5b6b7882-ec65-4b83-b119-09da36c412dc.JPG

05c8151c-902b-4cf2-8a4d-b36aa1c72288.JPG

Nice Troopy, will never pass emissions in Cali without a lot of money and time. Needs to be titled out of state..

Nice Troopy, will never pass emissions in Cali without a lot of money and time. Needs to be titled out of state..
thanks, so it's better to have it registered in another state and brought over to CA? I mean, I don't mind selling a nice/clean restored Troopy to another state :)
I spoke with a BAR representative and was given a list of NHTSA Registered Importers; waiting on a quote to see if I can have it modified for CA emissions and safety.

Au contraire. Just get a complete smog setup including the carb, air cleaner, and electronics from an fj60. Unfortunately you may have to do some tricky work on the harness, but it's possible.

If that head is not drilled for the air injection, you need that too. :crybaby:

It doesn't matter if it comes from out of the country, or out of state, you need all this stuff.

I hate to say it, but an LS swap might be less work.

I don't think titling it in another state and bringing it into Calif will get you around any of Calif's smog regulations.

it may be easier to swap in a good engine and all bits from an FJ60 to pass in CA versus trying to convert yours to pass

Au contraire. Just get a complete smog setup including the carb, air cleaner, and electronics from an fj60. Unfortunately you may have to do some tricky work on the harness, but it's possible.

If that head is not drilled for the air injection, you need that too. :crybaby:

It doesn't matter if it comes from out of the country, or out of state, you need all this stuff.

I hate to say it, but an LS swap might be less work.
this applies for California only right? I mean, if i get it imported to Long beach and have it cleared from customs. There wouldn't be a problem if i just get the car delivered to my home garage where i can do a photoshoot and sell it to another state, where the 25 year old rule is applicable

"this applies for California only right? I mean, if i get it imported to Long beach and have it cleared from customs. There wouldn't be a problem if i just get the car delivered to my home garage where i can do a photoshoot and sell it to another state, where the 25 year old rule is applicable"

I think your right, as long as you don't drive it. And even if you do drive it, you'll just get a ticket which will go away when the vehicle leaves the state.

"this applies for California only right? I mean, if i get it imported to Long beach and have it cleared from customs. There wouldn't be a problem if i just get the car delivered to my home garage where i can do a photoshoot and sell it to another state, where the 25 year old rule is applicable"

I think your right, as long as you don't drive it. And even if you do drive it, you'll just get a ticket which will go away when the vehicle leaves the state.
I'm fine with not driving it, apart from test driving it in the neighborhood ;) and create good content for it

Not 100% sure the all forty nine other states are exempt from emissions. AZ goes back to and including 67 in certain parts of the state. Other parts of the state anything goes. There is a get around going a classic route. But that has restrictions. Since I spend more than half the year in a no restriction part of the state I register mine there. The one that is used the most while in the emissions part of the state still goes thru emissions. OBDII is easier than older years that require tailpipe and idle/running tests.

Not 100% sure the all forty nine other states are exempt from emissions. AZ goes back to and including 67 in certain parts of the state. Other parts of the state anything goes. There is a get around going a classic route. But that has restrictions. Since I spend more than half the year in a no restriction part of the state I register mine there. The one that is used the most while in the emissions part of the state still goes thru emissions. OBDII is easier than older years that require tailpipe and idle/running tests.
which states would be ideal to sell to?

One of the states closest to you is Nevada:

"Currently, only vehicles based in urban areas of Clark County or Washoe County are required to undergo Nevada emissions tests."

I have a place in western Clark County that doesn't require emissions - it's two closed desert basins away from Las Vegas so there are no EPA air quality attainment standards to meet, therefore no emissions.

Washington DC , the USA capital is a district , and NOT a state .....possible ....

i live in Maryland , anything over 25 years old , no longer under smog rules

its almost free and wide open again here ...........

Hey all,

I had decided to fully frame restore my dad's 1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45 Troopy (gasoline 2F engine). I will be getting the car from Aleppo, Syria as it is just sitting there like a duck and getting coated with dust. So I decided to do a project out of it while being in San Diego, and my trusted mechanics and body shop repairs are all there. But before I go ahead with the whole process I wanted to get you guys' opinion. Would I be able to have it registered in CA and drive? or is it better to just have it imported and cleared from the customs and have it for sale in a different state?

I have attached some photos below:

View attachment 2197736
View attachment 2197737
View attachment 2197738
View attachment 2197739
View attachment 2197740

1 question Sir , can u elaborate on the Red Pull Knob on upper LH of your dash

please , is that your choke ?

does it light up with a small bulb and glow ?

thanks for your time

i love the stripes and SAUDI-SPEC. Graphics package as well

good luck !

matt

""I had decided to fully frame restore my dad's 1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45 Troopy (gasoline 2F engine).""

Looking at your pictures, what needs to be (urgently) restored ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom