Impending Vortec Swap (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what's the deal with pulling this thing? Disconnect harness from ecu and feed thru firewall, then make sure none of the harness is connected to the body and t case, then yank it out? I was going to fish out the harness, but I got the injectors unplugged and the wiring heads south and looks like a mess to get thru. I'll pull tcase first thing tomorrow morning, slap in my new low gears which are supposed to make my tcase spontaneously combust since they weren't made in Japan. Once I get the shifters disconnected inside, just hoist and start taking apart things binding it up? rad, fuel, a/c lines and ps has been disconnected....The FSM is like drinking from a firehose, 11 easy steps to engine removal. lol.

looking at going aftermarket radiator. Griffen seems to be the sweet spot. or Think I could get away with a new TYC 1918 from amazon?

Also, going to get aftermarket gauges, anyone beat Dakota Digital's VHX? VHX-1014: Universal Dual 5.4" Round, Analog Instrument

I just followed the harness down and disconnected it, a little difficult but can be done.
Looking back I would remove the transfer case, makes it real long a heavy on removal.
I'm watching your choice of aftermarket gauges?

I like that Autometer gauges, the selection is huge and they are good gauges. You may want to break out a tape measure (I'm old and prefer a stick rule) and do some investigation on your dash. 5" gauges may fit but you will be hard pressed to fit the rest of the gauges. These are 3 3/8" and 2 1/8"

1396750_665750503455844_2134498272_o.jpg

I'm doing a LS swap on a 91 and could really use the pinouts if you could send them to me I would greatly appreciate it thanks Lee

Damn I have one for my 91 but was told they changed for OBDII and were slightly different for the LX
Hell I know the feeling, I forgot to get AC drained before I got it in the garage and now I have to figure out how to safely drain and not get covered in green goop...

So, getting this motor out has been much more difficult than anticipated. Good news, I found the leak on my motor, which was a power steering leak. I got the tough bolts out of the transfer case. dropping the cross member and trying to stay out of the way so the flange for the rear shaft doesn't take off your head was not much fun. So, I just need to jack up and let it down in the morning and remove a couple bolts.

Is it best to fish the harness down through the intake and remove? I might pull out of the firewall, remove motor and deal with it from there. Hopefully I can pull tomorrow....

I'm doing a LS swap on a 91 and could really use the pinouts if you could send them to me I would greatly appreciate it thanks Lee
Yeah I'll send you the pages right out of my electrical diagram manual I bought for my 91... At work and haven't checked this in a couple days but I'll try to do that tonight...

So, getting this motor out has been much more difficult than anticipated. Good news, I found the leak on my motor, which was a power steering leak. I got the tough bolts out of the transfer case. dropping the cross member and trying to stay out of the way so the flange for the rear shaft doesn't take off your head was not much fun. So, I just need to jack up and let it down in the morning and remove a couple bolts.

Is it best to fish the harness down through the intake and remove? I might pull out of the firewall, remove motor and deal with it from there. Hopefully I can pull tomorrow....
I found it easier to pull the upper intake personally. It made pulling engine harness a breeze, just don't forget to disconect the cold start injector tube...

suck it 1fzfe!

IMG_4338.jpg

IMG_5778.jpg

I thought I'd have to let the air out of my front tires, but it just barely cleared with a 4" lift and 35's. The motor and tranny are looking for a good home....

In other news, I f'd up my transfer case. I screwed up the rear idler bearing with my cheap splitter and my father was using 12 pt sockets with my impact gun and stripped out three bolts for the differential. So, a few more projects...

anyone ever spray lizard skin (both sound and heat)? I'm thinking about pulling the brake system and spraying on the firewall and underneath while I have every thing out...any other alternatives for noise and heat?

Your ahead of me... I still have to pull my 5.3 out of the envoy so I can get it the heck out of my way to have room to work... And since the front axle of it goes through the oil pan I have to dis assemble the front suspension to pull that crap first... Yay me... I need to go get some 6 ton jack stands so my fat arse can fit under to get the xfer and tranny wiring out... Some day my ChevOTA conversion will make real progress...

i have a tcase if you need one. would be willing to do it as a partial trade for your 1fz :p

correct, 1997&up 4wd 4l80e doesn't have the reluctor rings. I need to read up on the t case for the fzj80....

You are correct, the VSS is on the tcase...so it appears a work around may be possible. I need to read up if this Marlin Crawler widget ($49) will do the trick or if I need to go to something like stealth conversions offers. but something is going to need to convert the signal from what the widget puts out to the 40 pulse/rev the gm computer thing needs. should be possible somehow with a sine wave....

Anyone use JTR's swap book? V8 TPI & TPI Engine Swap, JTR V8 conversion manual If it's worth the $30, I'll be more than happy to purchase it.

I believe there is a lot, just not a ton on the mud swap pages. I believe @rockrod did a lot of spreadsheet work, and I hope to get my hands on it. He's shared it, just not posted it online. A few other links I've found on wiring (or places to ask questions):

ls1tech.com
Vortec 4.8/5.3/6.0 Wiring Harness Info - harness info, he also has step by step instructions on his facebook page, bottom link
http://www.lt1swap.com/2003-07pcmpinouts.pdf

tons of info out there.....

hey guys. i am not on this forum much because i sold my cruiser a little over a year ago after a job change. I had to get something for business use. At any rate, I still have the pin outs and the EWDs for the 80s. If someone wants to host them for easy download please PM me and I will send them over. I am sure there are many who would like the diagram to help with the integration.

I just run my gauges off the OBD2 port onto an I pad mini. Works great.

I wonder if the ipad mini would suffice for getting past the visual inspection?

I cut out some 5.4" cardboard last night and tore my dash apart. It looks like the DD VHX 1014 are a little big, but kirk got them to work in his rig a while ago...V8 Swap Project Begins! Again with LS2

I want a 7th gauge, to monitor trans temp....checking out autometer now....

i don't know what it is with Autometer's website that pisses me off, but I get angry just trying to browse through it. It's slow, clunky and it won't direct me straight to the kits. At least I can't figure out how to do it, which is different than saying it's not possible. It's also not clear to me if the autometer gauges do the check engine light, which I'll need. Outside of that, I hate to drop $900 on gauges and have "autometer" written all over the place. Just not doing it for me right now....

Here is what I think I am going with....VHX-1050/1060: Universal 5 and 6 Gauge Round, Analog Instruments I like that it has the VHX box, which at least makes it seem more plug and play. I'm going to add a BIM module for the trans temp...I'll cut out some more circles tonight and see what it looks like.

I had looked at these before for another project, I didn't realize they have built in indicators?
They have a gear selector, and the VHX simplifies the wiring.
Looks like a good choice.

@#$!%^$#%^$$#@&*^^&%%*&%$@!@%!!!!
20160613_193453.jpg

Never put a tyranny on a motor. Seems like the torque converter isn't on all the way. Any other options besides buying a new transmission housing?

The bell housing is a adapter, so it unbolts off the trans as a seperate part.

Did you change the oil pan? I forget what part will break if a straight edge was not used to align pan to block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom