Impending Vortec Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great info gents, keep them ideas coming and maintain this thread on track. I'm learning quite a bit.

As you were :flipoff2:

I would sell the 4l80e, source a 2wd 4l60e, and get a adapter for transmission section of your harness.
Or did you already buy a 4l80e adapter?

This place has the parts needed!
BP Automotive

Looks like I might be wrong, he makes 4l60e to 4l80e adapter.

Anyone know what hardline charges for a swap?? I know it's prob case by case but just looking for a ballpark?

I would sell the 4l80e, source a 2wd 4l60e, and get a adapter for transmission section of your harness.
Or did you already buy a 4l80e adapter?

This place has the parts needed!
BP Automotive

Looks like I might be wrong, he makes 4l60e to 4l80e adapter.

I have not bought the mark's adapter yet. I am thinking this is the way I may need to go, but with the money I will most likely loose, I can have some put the reluctor ring in the 4l80e. I'm assuming about $200-$300 to do this work? Or...I may luck out and find someone who wants to trade....but, I'll need to buy parts for the flex plate adapter.

Then I'm wondering if the JTR reluctor ring relocation kit for 4l60e will work with the 4l80e. doubtful, as they would market it as such...or I could put it on the rear drive shaft, a not elegant or clean looking solution, but workable. $80 and you have to worry about mud, dirt, snow and water interfering. I'd rather spend a couple hundred extra bucks and get it put in the tranny.

Failing the JTR option(s), there has to be a way to use the hall whatever VSS stock on the HF2A to work the entire system. You know, like the stock GM system already works. I just don't know what the GM ECM reads, pulse per mile (ppm) or the 40 pulses per rev. I know GM has it set up to count the 40 pulses, but does that get converted anywhere? If I knew what the ECM was reading, I think the dakota digital speedometer interface should work ($85 + shipping), I just need to calculate how many spins of the drive shaft equal one mile and then multiply by 40, the resultant needs to be less than 250,000 pulses. Correct? I don't know what the stock HF2A VSS reads, 2000 or 4000 ppm? with my gears and tires, I run ~10% less. So, 3600*40 = 144,000 ppm? Not sure...

Then the wind gets knocked out my sails when I read things like this on the Novak adapters page.

1997 and later 4wd applications may omit the rear sensor as this data is available from the transfer case output shaft in factory applications. For the purposes of some adaptations, this omitted sensor and its internal reluctor ring may need to be installed by a transmission building professional for proper operation.

Pretty vague....what do you guys think? Am I pissing in the wind and I should just trade for a 4l60e? Or is the 4l80e doable? (I know anything is doable with enough money...)

Great info gents, keep them ideas coming and maintain this thread on track. I'm learning quite a bit.

As you were :flipoff2:

Hopefully you've learned to just buy a motor mated to a 4l60e and be done with it....

I didn't read the info on the DD SGI-5E correctly. It can multiply 16x - which doesn't get a 2 pulse per rev VSS where we need it to be (4 would work) - or divide 125x - which DOES get the input sensor (31 tooth) down to where we need. Surprise, I'm apparently not the first to need to do this, as it is an application directly listed in the directions (not sure how I missed it the first time...I'm learning all this on the fly).

3. Convert a high-speed signal found on newer GM transmissions down to a low speed signal to run a speedometer, cruise control, or fuel injection computer.

I'll have to call DD Monday and see what they say. I'm looking to see the pulses per rev of the VSS in the transfer case. If anyone knows, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post it up.

Thanks for all the help!

sounds to me like 4l60e is the only way to go on this. now the next question i have is on the reverse lights. do you want the truck style with the lights powered by the trans or the fbody style powered by the shifter?

sounds to me like 4l60e is the only way to go on this. now the next question i have is on the reverse lights. do you want the truck style with the lights powered by the trans or the fbody style powered by the shifter?

I know that is the easy answer. And I very well may end up there. Surely there is a way to do this with 4l80e modern 4wd tranny. Well there is, slap a reluctor ring into the tranny. But there could be other work arounds as well? I might post up over at ls1swap.com and see what they have to say. If I do, I'll be sure to post the link of the thread here.

Probably best to go right to the source and pick up the phone and call him/email

About Us | Hardline Fabrication Services

Yes. But I am hesitant to waste a shop's time answering questions from someone who Is unlikely to actually purchase anything. Time=$$..
And it sounds like people in this Tech forum may of have an answer, thus saving said shop some money and keeping overall pricing down.
But I guess that's just me.

maxresdefault.jpg

How much ya got?

Yes. But I am hesitant to waste a shop's time answering questions from someone who Is unlikely to actually purchase anything. Time=$$..
And it sounds like people in this Tech forum may of have an answer, thus saving said shop some money and keeping overall pricing down.
But I guess that's just me.

I think the general rule of thumb is ~$15kish (I haven't checked). hardline does do some extras like drive shafts, clean/labeled wiring etc. for reference I was quoted about the same to rebuild my 1fzfe. Since they don't put a price on their website, give them a call. I'm not saying suck up a couple hours of time on the phone, but give them the "hey, I'd like to do a swap, but it's a ways down the road for me. Can you give me an idea of the costs so I can start stacking benjamins without my wife noticing?" Take a couple minutes and be polite. not sure if slee does swaps, but ben or slee always seem to be pretty chatty (that's a good thing) when I'm in there, give them a call as well?

Really seems like a round about method to achieve your end goal!
I'm guessing this why we haven't read about this transmission used in a LS swap.

Really seems like a round about method to achieve your end goal!
I'm guessing this why we haven't read about this transmission used in a LS swap.

perhaps. still need a tune. cutting a few wires and plugging into a widget shouldn't take too long. just like I'll probably do for my speedo. I'm leaning towards slapping the reluctor ring in the 4l80e myself. I got a little "youtube courage" this weekend. For $400 I can have a rebuilt tranny how I need it with new clutches, seals, gaskets etc. I could open a can of worms. Probably about the same as what I would lose buying a 4l60e and then selling the 80. I know it should be pretty even, but it's hard for me time wise for me to hang around u pick places, find something and then pull it myself. Rebuilt trannys go for $1000-$1200 w/o torque converter and core exchange from what I have seen.

it should take me a week if I work a couple hours every night and all day saturday, so reality is 3 weeks minimum. I'm committed to the 4l80e. perhaps it will just be some comic relief for everyone and as someone else said, there is a reason no one has done one yet (that we've seen on ih8mud). But, mark's sells a kit and it is 3 or so weeks out for delivery.

motor mounts - I remember seeing a place in AZ that sold them, but it isn't dirty dingo from what I can tell. Just stick with the AA motor mounts? for some reason, summit has them a little cheaper with free shipping....

I'll also start a google spreadsheet thing if anyone is curious what I am buying and what I've paid. I'll have to do it tonight, as I'm locked out of cloud storage at work.

Spreadsheets are always cool, especially on something that hasn't really been documented much. I have a few spare parts from my other LS toys, I may start piecing together an 80 swap too.

I might be responsible if the Mark's 4L80E adapter is 3 weeks out. I ordered one a week ago and got it in four days. I'll be doing the LQ4/4L80E swap into a '97 as well.

awesome. What 4l80e tranny did you end up with? what part of UT are living? I frequent the SLC area and would love to stop by once you dig in if we can make it work.

awesome. What 4l80e tranny did you end up with? what part of UT are living? I frequent the SLC area and would love to stop by once you dig in if we can make it work.
4x4 4L80E that doesn't have the rear tone ring, yet. I'll likely do that myself as the transmission has 0 miles as well as the lq4. Unless my 1FZ completely fails (doubtful), I won't do anything till warmer weather and I have more time. I'm down by Provo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom