Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

S

I don't use the third row of seats, so no need for seatbelts back there.

So that's where I'm at now. I'm going to replace the bolts but leave out all the hardware. I also think cleaning the carpet might not be worth the effort, and it'll still have the holes in it.

I found a thread by @El Cid where he replaced the rear cargo carpet with Bedrug bed liner.

Rear Cargo Area Overhaul(Subwoofer+Deadening+Carpet Replacement)

Bedrug

Seems sick. I'll most likely order a 10x6 sheet from them, and use my old carpet as a pattern to cut a new one with no holes and add insulation on the bottom. I know a guy who owns an upholstery shop so I'll just do it myself there and post results here.

Appreciate the mention! Just glad to be a part of this rock star quality thread!

Here are some things I might add if you decide to go that route.

1. The upholsterer had an interior automotive paint that was used to paint the trim pieces. I'm sure it's common in the upholstery business, but I went from tan to black and they look original, even now. Tried to dye them myself, that failed... It's out there and if your' upholstery guy hasn't heard of it, let me know and I'll hunt it down. Not a lot of trim pieces needed it, but it was a great final touch.

2. I had them stitch a small leather trim around the tailgate. There are other options on that, but it has held up well. Do everything you can to keep the original board that supports the tailgate carpet. It will look like crap but so long as it's not torn, it's good.

3. I repadded it as well. Same thickness.

4. If I had it to do over, I believe I would use a combination of Mass loaded vinyl and sticky sound deadener. What I did was over kill the sticky stuff. It's not as effective as MLV, which is the better product, you can buy it at lowes, but the sticky auto sound shop stuff does nicely at making the bent metal reflect sound better and it seemed to make it all more smooth. Maybe do the corners with a few boxes of sticky sound deadener and then MLV on the flat surfaces. Just a thought. This helped decrease outside noise and music sounds great now:)

Doing this mod was the best thing I did, I haven't gone 30 days without putting liquid of some kind in and my dogs like it quite a bit.

Last edited:
Appreciate the mention! Just glad to be a part of this rock star quality thread!

Here are some things I might add if you decide to go that route.

1. The upholsterer had an interior automotive paint that was used to paint the trim pieces. I'm sure it's common in the upholstery business, but I went from tan to black and they look original, even now. Tried to dye them myself, that failed... It's out there and if your' upholstery guy hasn't heard of it, let me know and I'll hunt it down. Not a lot of trim pieces needed it, but it was a great final touch.

2. I had them stitch a small leather trim around the tailgate. There are other options on that, but it has held up well. Do everything you can to keep the original board that supports the tailgate carpet. It will look like crap but so long as it's not torn, it's good.

3. I repadded it as well. Same thickness.

4. If I had it to do over, I believe I would use a combination of Mass loaded vinyl and sticky sound deadener. What I did was over kill the sticky stuff. It's not as effective as MLV, which is the better product, you can buy it at lowes, but the sticky auto sound shop stuff does nicely at making the bent metal reflect sound better and it seemed to make it all more smooth. Maybe do the corners with a few boxes of sticky sound deadener and then MLF on the flat surfaces. Just a thought. This helped decrease outside noise and music sounds great now:)

Doing this mod was the best thing I did, I haven't gone 30 days without putting liquid of some kind in and my dogs like it quite a bit.

Awesome, thanks man. Appreciate all the tips! Yours turned out great.

Awesome, thanks man. Appreciate all the tips! Yours turned out great.

Lot of trial and error. I tried three different truck bed products and finally found the one I liked. It was flexible enough that it simply became carpet. There are also comparable marine products used for boats that I think are suitable as well. Key is water proof.

I shake my head as to why there is soft carpet in the back, as I see most SUV's NOW going away from that. But a lot of female purchasers want that so Toyota has little choice.

Got to work on redoing the cargo area carpet. Got some marine carpet for cheap - it has a rubber waterproof base and seems durable.
bL2Ifxl.jpg

Laid out the old carpet and traced an outline

cDTum1S.jpg

6ytepbX.jpg

Removed the plastic tailgate grommets and saved them for later. Got scraped by a rusty staple and probably got tetanus

rzKPtkt.jpg

oynWoKp.jpg

Started cutting out the new section and punched the holes for the tailgate connection

hsyyPll.jpg

Removed the plastic trim from the old carpet and attached it to the new. I got rid of all the holes for the seat brackets and seat belts, but included the flaps for the car seat anchors and slits for the tie downs.

l0asuLq.jpg

The plastic trim piece needs to be sewn in

vPaZsrV.jpg

gvJgU0m.jpg

TH2gYb9.jpg

Attached the plastic grommets using staples

CNfMxys.jpg

N4DEp0t.jpg

Removed the old pad and separate car seat anchor foam

U93YD9S.jpg

Used it to trace an outline on the new pad. I used commercial carpet pad. It's thinner than OEM but more dense, so will remain the same height when installed.

aQbeY3l.jpg

JhfOpAV.jpg

Glued in the car seat anchor section from the old carpet. Didn't really need to do this, but figured if it was on the OEM carpet, I might as well include it.

I5a2Lb7.jpg

uN96r2G.jpg

Glued the carpet to the pad, trimmed down the foam section to match the pad, and we're done.

eb9Vuhi.jpg

2okORIm.jpg

I2dk2av.jpg

Threw it in for a test fit and everything lines up perfectly. The noise is about the same as when I had the old carpet in there.

YwZIiJU.jpg

Took 2-3 hours. Easy enough if you have access to an upholstery shop.. ha. Though I think it could be doable at home if you had the necessary carpet shears, razor blades, punch, glue, etc. The only difficult thing would be finding an industrial sewing machine to sew the plastic trim piece on.

Now I'm tracking down the parts numbers for clips and screws so I can get the interior panels reinstalled, and going to order a tailgate cover.

Last edited:
I'm sick of this detailed build thread!!!!! j/k, its awesome! just makes me aknowlege how lazy I am to document all the work I have done on my LC. Keep up the sweet thread!

I'm sick of this detailed build thread!!!!! j/k, its awesome! just makes me aknowlege how lazy I am to document all the work I have done on my LC. Keep up the sweet thread!

Sometimes it's tough, just want to get the work done. But it's 100x easier now that I can just use my iphone to take pics, vs pulling out the dslr.

Trekboxx tailgate cover showed up today:

uvtlwxf.jpg

The stock cover was starting to smell funky and had water damage, plus the cardboard was starting to fall apart around the mounts.

ZV75fdU.jpg

The Trekboxx cover seems really durable, with a heavy duty coat of line-x.

PjlE4wp.jpg

Easy install. Popped up the old cover which is just held in by plastic clips.

RCTxfH2.jpg

Install the well nuts, washers and screws, then set it in place and tighten all the screws.

RHg9AIQ.jpg

mdPa3bb.jpg

The color match is perfect too. Happy with the purchase! Still waiting on hardware and clips to reinstall the rest of the interior panels.

lAnhOGl.jpg

any updates?

Nah, haven't made time to work on the cruiser. I did take a trip down to Escalante -

qF6oJqW.jpg

Almost 60 degrees in the day, in the middle of winter. Great hiking weather, and no one else on the trails.

wPtAUdd.jpg

This overlook is one of my favorite spots in southern Utah, only accessible by 4x4. Places like this are why I love having a land cruiser.

YGgaVpy.jpg

Finished installing my new carpet and interior panels today -

jFPupH4.jpg

eIIaMnZ.jpg

Turned out well. The only thing I forgot was the two holes on the wheel well panels. And I need to find some plugs for the upper seatbelt bolt holes.

SOWRjxx.jpg

af6h7ZK.jpg

Also installed a Ram Mount. I went with the no-drill seat mounted arm

wjB2Ypm.jpg

23WFLBo.jpg

XR8xRPD.jpg

Finished installing my new carpet and interior panels today -

jFPupH4.jpg

eIIaMnZ.jpg

Turned out well. The only thing I forgot was the two holes on the wheel well panels. And I need to find some plugs for the upper seatbelt bolt holes.

SOWRjxx.jpg

af6h7ZK.jpg

Also installed a Ram Mount. I went with the no-drill seat mounted arm

wjB2Ypm.jpg

23WFLBo.jpg

XR8xRPD.jpg

The ram mount seems to be a very functional, daily use mod. Are you happy with its height vs dash mounted, windshield, etc. ?

Mind providing a link to the one you purchased?

Rear carpet and trekbox tailgate cover came out really nice.

Changed any diapers on the trekbox yet? I feel like mine is a dedicated diaper station - wasn't sure if the trekbox was a little too abrasive. Fingers crossed, it hasn't happened yet but Trekbox would be much easier to clean !

The ram mount seems to be a very functional, daily use mod. Are you happy with its height vs dash mounted, windshield, etc. ?

Mind providing a link to the one you purchased?

Rear carpet and trekbox tailgate cover came out really nice.

Changed any diapers on the trekbox yet? I feel like mine is a dedicated diaper station - wasn't sure if the trekbox was a little too abrasive. Fingers crossed, it hasn't happened yet but Trekbox would be much easier to clean !

Yeah, height seems perfect. I don't need to look at it always, just occasional glances at a map or changing music.

Seems to have a slight vibration on bumpy roads, just because the phone is relatively light.

Ram Pod Vehicle Mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZOW1U2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ram Mount X Grip: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7B2NV4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not too abrasive, but not nearly as comfortable as carpet. It definitely would be easier to clean - but no, no diaper changes yet. I usually just use the backseat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom