IFS front diff ADD vs. Non-ADD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2ndGenToyotaFan

Threads
Website
www.jeffersonstatecruisers.com
Is it possible to swap the drivers side axle tube from an ADD diff and a non-ADD diff on a 7.5in IFS front differential? If so, how hard is it?

If I find a 4.56 front diff, it's probably going to be an ADD diff... But I'd rather not have the hassle.... So if it's an easy swap that would be great... :D The FSM's make it look like it's doable with the right puller etc... Anyone with first hand experience? Thanks!

You're never going to find a 4.56 diff so it's an academic question, right? Seriously, just regear and get on with lighting up that set of cute dumbells you've scribed into your instrument cluster. :steer:

OK, I admit it. I have no idea.

There is an inner axle seal that is frequently damaged during disassembly, I forgot which # specifically (the FSM has good exploded views for part references). I got all the parts for this swap but it ended up on the back burner.

Are 4.56's just super rare? I don't think my PO's did my 4.56's (they could barely change the oil :D), pretty sure they were factory gears.

No, 4.56's are pretty common behind the V6/Auto, the problem is finding a set that someone will let me have..... :rolleyes:

They're also common in the V6 trucks, 5-speed, with 31" tires. That's what I had in my '92 4Runner.

I swapped in my factory 4.88 diff from an add truck. You just unbolt the tube and "pop it apart" paying no attention to the inaccessible clip on the axle. reassembly is the reverse. I believe I also swapped the diff cover at the time which was was also slightly different. The only hitch was buying torx sockets for the add model compared to the hex bolts on the non add model.

Yes its an easy swap. You will want to put manual hubs on it when you do it.

Dude, its only like 4 bolts that hold the axle tube onto the dif. Easy peasy assuming the old diff/axle was manual and you can just swap that axle tube back into use.

Is it possible to swap the drivers side axle tube from an ADD diff and a non-ADD diff on a 7.5in IFS front differential? If so, how hard is it?

If I find a 4.56 front diff, it's probably going to be an ADD diff... But I'd rather not have the hassle.... So if it's an easy swap that would be great... :D The FSM's make it look like it's doable with the right puller etc... Anyone with first hand experience? Thanks!

Yea; The SandFlea has diffs from a 94 V6 3.Slo runner.

1. You will need the pass side tube from the ADD. Why? It has needle bearings; not just a bushing as the non ADD unit has. This will resolve the low speed "Chucking" you get at full deflection.
2. You will need to remove the complete drivers side tube from the ADD carrier and swap the non ADD tube. You will need to add a seal to the inside of the carrier. The seal is well documented on all of the online FSM's.

Actually; with a front locker, a fully functional and manually operated ADD setup will help keep the power steering system from overheating.

I just keep one lug locked and run 3WD unless I need true 4WD. (Locked front and rear)

I strongly suggest swapping to the needle bearing tube.. it's much better.

Hope this helps..

Elvis

While I'm working, I'm thinking.... Boy this has been pretty cheap so far!!!! :cheers: Hehehe

I don't know if I want to go much bigger than 33's.... and for that 4.56's are almost right on...

Flea now runs true 33's and 4.56. Cruises along nicely at 75. I do however need dual cases or at least a 4.7 gear for crawling..

BTW; 4.56 from V6 Runners are very common.. I paid 75 each for the rear diff and front IFS case. not too bad for Factory Toyota parts..

Yup, my set cost me $100 and a set of 4 cylinder 4.10's... :D

Warning, tech....

There are 2 vac lines on my 94 ADD front diff, one locks and the other unlocks, it does not seem to need constant vacuum to stay locked, although I'm sure I'll just plumb it into the manifold vacuum so it's always trying to lock... :cheers:

I have a complete IFS sitting in my trailer which I can be convinced to part with... Get rid of that ADD...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom