ideas/photos of removable sidesteps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
cannabisforcolorado.com
Need some easy to build/ cheap easy to remove sidesteps for the fj80. Its huge and a pain in the ass for most people to get in and out of.

Why removable?

Why removable?

Cause I don't want it hitting on rocks. And I'm assuming its going to look 🏳️‍🌈

I do not have the stock boards

With nothing there, the body will take the rock hits instead. Sounds like you simply need rock sliders that you can step on. Your rig would look good with them.

Last edited:
Step-style sliders are made by several mfrs.

Looked at a restomod Bronco a few months back that had some slick hidden steps that swung down automatically when you opened the door. They were tucked up and completely hidden with the door closed. No idea of brand, cost, etc. but I thought they provided very good functionality.

I agree with the others though, with your lift I would go with some step sliders unless I never went off road in which case see above.

I don’t think there’s a way to make the whole step/slider easily removable unless you really skimp on mounting points.
It will be a lot easier to have a low profile slider as a base then figure out a way to attach a small removable step to them. I’m trying to figure out something like that for myself now.

:popcorn:
Have pondered this idea myself... Rock sliders with some sort of removable step was my first thought; maybe a simple slot in the top of the sliders for a 'hook' that the step could slide into? Easily removable for wheeling, nice for the vertically challenged to get in the rig...

Haven't researched existing slider/step options, though.

Looked at a restomod Bronco a few months back that had some slick hidden steps that swung down automatically when you opened the door. They were tucked up and completely hidden with the door closed. No idea of brand, cost, etc. but I thought they provided very good functionality.

I agree with the others though, with your lift I would go with some step sliders unless I never went off road in which case see above.
AMP Research power steps are the guys for those. Super cool, but if you’re into serious wheeling, to the point where you actually need sliders, those things will get bashed off by a rock.

I saw a similar set up at AT trailers on a heep and they were rock worthy. It was a boat style slider with the step inside out of harms way.

Extreme terrain

1601759365916.png

I run AMPs on my Dodge PW and they are above the slider also out of harm's way.

How about a :hillbilly: solution on the cheap - a plastic foot stool with a retrieval rope. I recently had to deal with this when my disabled older brother came to visit. Such a pain (and complaints) every time we stopped. This would have covered it.

How about a :hillbilly: solution on the cheap - a plastic foot stool with a retrieval rope. I recently had to deal with this when my disabled older brother came to visit. Such a pain (and complaints) every time we stopped. This would have covered it.
Some land cruiser owners hang a rope with knots from the handheld so you can climb up

I've also pondered this problem. I have sliders and they work great as steps for a fully-mobile adult but sometimes if you need to get an older (or larger) person in the cruiser it would be nice to have a removable step that hooks on to the slider. I may end up building one for my own use. The dog could use the help every now and then as well (80 is hella tall)

Possibly build something that looks like a slider or a nerf bar. Make it so it attaches to the frame rail with two 1-1/4" hitch receivers that are U-Bolted to the frame.

Then make it so the step can be slid in and pinned quickly, like removing two hitch pins per side. I have a design that will make it so it doesn't rattle while installed, but it will require a bolt instead of a pin.

The down side is that the square receivers will always be there and could drag on rocks if that's your concern.

Otherwise, get a set of WKOR sliders and get them in the 10° version so they are more step-worthy. Also help protect the bodywork.

Some land cruiser owners hang a rope with knots from the handheld so you can climb up

I was thinking about this. Need something easy and cheap.

Google "stirrup step for jeep"

Pull it in and out. Not a big deal if it hangs out most of the time. Yes that would look 🏳️‍🌈 .
I may just tie a rope around 2 of the studs for the seat and put a stirrup on the other end. And this is not so much for me but everyone else. Im 6'2" I can jump in.

Possibly build something that looks like a slider or a nerf bar. Make it so it attaches to the frame rail with two three 1-1/4 2" hitch receivers that are U-Bolted welded to the frame.
I seriously considered this years ago when my kids were young.
Only, instead of a single slider, make two. One, a drop step for ease of access, and the other a true high-clearance slider that is suitable for trail use. Swap the two as needed.

If you can get an AMP Research power step to fit, you're golden. Remove for serious rock wheeling.

I’m still working on my version of sliders with removable steps. They’re a 2x6 3/16” main body as high and tight as possible. Then I welded in two square tubes per slider as receivers so I can slide a step in. I have caps that fit the tube to keep stuff out until the step potion is done. You can kind of see the receiver tubes in the picture.

It will be a while before I can build the actual steps but one is literally going to be 🌈. I told my 3y.o. daughter she can help paint it and she is very into rainbows right now.

C536E574-7633-4514-8E59-ABF186729240.jpeg

Rock Slide Engineering makes a rock slider with an incorporated step that automatically deploys/retracts if the door is open/closed. Don't know if they make anything for an 80. Trick setup that could still take a beating like rock sliders are intended to. Back when I had my Gladiator, I'd see a lot of folks running them, but they were pricey - probably about a grand more than some nice Metaltechs for an 80.

I was once at an offroad meetup and saw a guy in a FJ62 that had a small rope ladder at his two front doors. Clearly zero protection if he hit something, but it was a permanent solution for a way to get in the truck, but the step would "collapse" if it came across something. No need to make it removable since it would move itself out of the way. Inexpensive and clever.

Plus, you get to have fun getting in and out.

1613151487656.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom