I Have Questions for all 3B Owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You could always swap it in and then be setup for a different and more modern b series motor later. 14b 15b etc etc. it all comes down to what you want to achieve.

Yea I have spent a lot of money on getting my swap started.

I was under the impression that these engines are sought after compared to gasoline versions.

My dad used to have one with over half a million km, and he never spent a penny on it- he told me if I had to buy a Crusier I would want one with a 3B.

We will see how the swap goes. But I’m not missing the 3FE and a440f, it’s lame and it sucks and is no fun at all.

I think 99% of the issue you have with 3FE is because of the auto. Makes it feel really slow and boring…Becuase it is. That auto zaps a ton of power and fun.

Flywheel figures

3B: 90hp at 3500rpm 160ft at 2000rpm
3FE: 155hp at 4000rpm 220ft at 3000rpm

Just for laughs power to weight:
3B .02 hp/lb
3FE .033 hp/lb

Slow and slower…

Some interesting notes: at 2000rpm the 3FE makes 210ft lb.

In real world testing, people have dyno the 3B in the 30s and 40hp to the wheels :D

You are definitely giving up a chunk of HP and toque. Pablo cruise and the 3fe/h42 pig got I believe 16ish mpg on the last little trip we did of highway and mountains. I’m impressed.

I’m not trying to dream crush here, if you want a 3B then rock on. Fun project and well diesels are just cool. I think the 3FE unfairly gets a lot of hate Becuase the auto behind it.

I would definitely budget or prepare for some
Maintenance on the 3B. They do run forever but deferred maintenance can be a nightmare on a diesel. Injectors and IP.

Make sure that cooling system is as good as it can be.
Get some guages to monitor temps and egts.

FJ62... to heavy ? Not very much than a BJ60. The 3B already equiped the BB20 Coaster which is a bus and the BY34 Dyna, which it is a delevery truck.

800px-Toyota_Coaster_in_Lilongwe.jpg
800px-DynaBY34IceCreamBox.jpg

The FJ62 axles with 4.11 is a key ellement versu FJ60 and BJ60.

Keep tire under 32 and your good to go ! The 5spd will allow you to have more flexibility.

My first bj70 drive was in LA in 2001 and getting on I10 was DANGEROUSLY slow. If you head south from BC to the US you will live in the right lane.

I had a 74 w 13bt 2003-2006 and it could not climb grades in AZ summers without significant reduction in speed. In 2006 I switched to HDT which had zero issues.

No gearing is going to fix 96 hp. There is a reason why those buses were sold off

Production ended in 1988 for most orange blocks (not saying blue is any better-worse with short production)

Meanwhile the HZ is 1990 to present production.

Ask Onur about his 3B experience. The engine is obsolete.

I think 99% of the issue you have with 3FE is because of the auto. Makes it feel really slow and boring…Becuase it is. That auto zaps a ton of power and fun.

Flywheel figures

3B: 90hp at 3500rpm 160ft at 2000rpm
3FE: 155hp at 4000rpm 220ft at 3000rpm

Just for laughs power to weight:
3B .02 hp/lb
3FE .033 hp/lb

Slow and slower…

Some interesting notes: at 2000rpm the 3FE makes 210ft lb.

In real world testing, people have dyno the 3B in the 30s and 40hp to the wheels :D

You are definitely giving up a chunk of HP and toque. Pablo cruise and the 3fe/h42 pig got I believe 16ish mpg on the last little trip we did of highway and mountains. I’m impressed.

I’m not trying to dream crush here, if you want a 3B then rock on. Fun project and well diesels are just cool. I think the 3FE unfairly gets a lot of hate Becuase the auto behind it.

I would definitely budget or prepare for some
Maintenance on the 3B. They do run forever but deferred maintenance can be a nightmare on a diesel. Injectors and IP.

Make sure that cooling system is as good as it can be.
Get some guages to monitor temps and egts.

Yes I’m not going to lie, the Toyota gasoline motors are torquey SOB.

That’s something I like about them. Tourqe at low numbers.

Well, I think I’m going to love it with my Fj62.

The 3B is a far heavier duty engine than the 3FE, I will love it I’m sure of it.

Hey gimme - nice to chat again! Not much has changed since last year - not much love for the 3B. I really like what fedtime said though. He gets it. Accept the design limitations and appreciate it for all its good characteristics. Since we last talked my 3B has clocked another 20,000K trouble free and it still runs wonderfully and economically. This one is coming up to 500K now. Maybe I'm lucky but I've had so many 60s with 3Bs and have run up hundreds and hundreds of Ks on them with no breakdowns! I can say that no other vehicle could come close in terms of overall operational economy given what I use them for day in and day out.

Hey gimme - nice to chat again! Not much has changed since last year - not much love for the 3B. I really like what fedtime said though. He gets it. Accept the design limitations and appreciate it for all its good characteristics. Since we last talked my 3B has clocked another 20,000K trouble free and it still runs wonderfully and economically. This one is coming up to 500K now. Maybe I'm lucky but I've had so many 60s with 3Bs and have run up hundreds and hundreds of Ks on them with no breakdowns! I can say that no other vehicle could come close in terms of overall operational economy given what I use them for day in and day out.

Glad to hear from you again. I always liked the way you think.

My lord so many people hate the 3B on here it’s negative, and I can’t get over it.

Anyways- I would love for you to read up on my swap thread. I have been making really good progress and have even got my engine running.

However progress is sometimes slow with school and work. But I’m putting in the time!

Link: Gimme a 60s 3B Engine Swap - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gimme-a-60s-3b-engine-swap.1267435/page-6

Glad to hear from you again. I always liked the way you think.

My lord so many people hate the 3B on here it’s negative, and I can’t get over it.

Anyways- I would love for you to read up on my swap thread. I have been making really good progress and have even got my engine running.

However progress is sometimes slow with school and work. But I’m putting in the time!

Link: Gimme a 60s 3B Engine Swap - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gimme-a-60s-3b-engine-swap.1267435/page-6

Mate we went through all this last year. There is hate for these motors coz they are slow as hell and completely obsolete.

I drive one in my bj42 in Aus where the speed limits are slower and everyone generally drives slower and it's the slowest thing on the road.
I'm currently on holiday in Arizona in the the US and everyone is absoloutly flying in their trucks and semi's. A semi truck would blow you off the road. If your spending time on highways it is borderline dangerous driving something that slow. The second you hit something that remotely resembles a hill you will be smashing down through gears while pick up trucks start piling up behind you.

We told you it was a waste of time last year, and your still trying to justify it in your head. You will only be disappointed and have wasted a heap of time and money.

If you bought the car with a 3b in it then I get it. But to swap one in is madness. The cool factor of filling your car up at the diesel pump and it sounding like a little truck will wear off in about 10 minutes once you get on the highway.

Mate we went through all this last year. There is hate for these motors coz they are slow as hell and completely obsolete.

I drive one in my bj42 in Aus where the speed limits are slower and everyone generally drives slower and it's the slowest thing on the road.
I'm currently on holiday in Arizona in the the US and everyone is absoloutly flying in their trucks and semi's. A semi truck would blow you off the road. If your spending time on highways it is borderline dangerous driving something that slow. The second you hit something that remotely resembles a hill you will be smashing down through gears while pick up trucks start piling up behind you.

We told you it was a waste of time last year, and your still trying to justify it in your head. You will only be disappointed and have wasted a heap of time and money.

If you bought the car with a 3b in it then I get it. But to swap one in is madness. The cool factor of filling your car up at the diesel pump and it sounding like a little truck will wear off in about 10 minutes once you get on the highway.

Yes I know

If you are in the Tucson area, our shop is not too far away if you'd like to come by and see an awesome 3B in pieces in the scrap pile.

:lol:

I feel most people south of the border just don't get it. And it's understandable given that the 3b was not provided to their market. It just doesn't make sense for them.

I love the 3b engine as they are dead simple to work on even for noob mechanics. Sure you can spend as much money as you want to get someone else to build an engine for you but that just isn't near as much fun/same experience.

I also don't think its fair to compare all 3b rebuilds to Onurs experience. I get it he has done heaps for the community over the years and went way above and beyond what most people would put into a 3b, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter what engine it is, if things aren't put back together properly/torqued to spec, things are going to go wrong.

it would be a sad day if everyone decided to ditch engines pre-1990. Where is the preservation of history?!?

if you want to speed down the highway drive something else?

If you are in the Tucson area, our shop is not too far away if you'd like to come by and see an awesome 3B in pieces in the scrap pile.

Okay I was not asking for you to trash the 3B, just leave the damn thread if you aren’t going to answer the questions.

Okay I was not asking for you to trash the 3B, just leave the damn thread if you aren’t going to answer the questions.

I’m not trashing anything.

I speak from a decent amount of experience.

E2384A8A-0704-4A94-BCDF-944423CCC112.jpeg

8CA051A7-9AE9-4AE2-87C0-ABC6BEA71C8E.jpeg

17D50ADF-11CC-4FE7-89D0-0E678F0697D6.jpeg

And you asked a question in a public forum: you are going to get many answers. Take them for what it’s worth— generally people who have years of experience with these engines.

And my comment to @plink01 was a genuine invitation since I am in AZ and he’s here visiting….

my thoughts on a 3b
i bough mine with a 3b in it,
yes i turboed it, because i HAD to, they are slow AF
is this a waste of money.... maybe, but the engine was still good and It's not a daily driver just a adventure truck, and i could trailer it if its a long trip to the trail
and i like modding my adventure trucks, and having the original engine in the vehicle (as long as it does what i need it too power wise)
would i swap another 3b in if this one bites the bullet, **** no
it is pretty damn good now on the trails tho, makes me smile when the turbo makes turbo noises
15bft or 1hdt when i need another engine

my thoughts on a 3b
i bough mine with a 3b in it,
yes i turboed it, because i HAD to, they are slow AF
is this a waste of money.... maybe, but the engine was still good and It's not a daily driver just a adventure truck, and i could trailer it if its a long trip to the trail
and i like modding my adventure trucks, and having the original engine in the vehicle (as long as it does what i need it too power wise)
would i swap another 3b in if this one bites the bullet, f*** no
it is pretty damn good now on the trails tho, makes me smile when the turbo makes turbo noises
15bft or 1hdt when i need another engine

Yea. I agree with that you say, I don’t plan to drive the 3B long distances. I wouldn’t like it. But for rolling around town, it’s tonnes of fun in my opinion, it’s way more fun than the gassers.

Well the good news is you can probably do the swap without cutting any wiring, so it will just be welding the 3FE mounts back in and exhaust to put the 3FE back in.

You can just unplug the fuel pump and replace it with 7” of hose in the tank, so easy to revert back there.

Don’t sell the 3FE off if it runs good.

Yea. I agree with that you say, I don’t plan to drive the 3B long distances. I wouldn’t like it. But for rolling around town, it’s tonnes of fun in my opinion, it’s way more fun than the gassers.
dude with the turbo its downright enjoyable around town, you can barely shift fast enough
and its still actually in the power band after a shift

( yes my crank will probably explode.....whatever) 😁

Last edited:
dude with the turbo its downright enjoyable around town, you can barely shift fast enough
and its still actually in the power band after a shift

( yes my crank will probably explode.....whatever) 😁

Yea you can blow em up pretty easy with enough boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom