How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (33 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First post, long time lurker.

Happy to report I was able to successfully do this indeed in less than 5 min minus download time.

Used:
VCI J2534 Cable Fit for Toyota TIS Techstream - Latest Version V16.00.017, Firmware V1.4.8, Scanner Adapter Diagnostic Cable Scan Tool, OBD2 Diagnostic Cable, Support Win XP WIN7 WIN10 32/64bits

On 2010 MacPro which has Intel chip.

20220721_221110.jpg

Is there any benefit in a 2.0 vci/cable on a 100?

I’ve got a drawer full of VCI cables (both 1.4 & 2.0), that I purchased back when a 1.4 cable was ~$14, and a 2.0 cable was ~$25. I’ve mainly used the 2.0 cable, because it was the first one that I purchased (through sheer dumb luck). I’ve loaned (given) some cables to friends/family/local club members, and some with newer vehicles (150 & 200 series) seem to have had issues with the 1.4 cables.

I’m a little reluctant to loan (give away) any of my 2.0 cables, since supplies have dried up, prices are approaching $100, and I may end up with a more modern Toyota/Lexus at some point in the future.

I keep getting an error as follows:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine TechStream 12.20.024.

Not in a hypervisor partition (HVP=0) (VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE).

VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED).

Result Code:E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:ConsoleWrap
Interface:IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I went into the bios of my computer and enabled virtualizaion technologies. It tried to start running once, then errored out and I can't get past this error code again. Any ideas?
There are two things I had to enable in the config section of my bios screen…and then a command prompt I had to run…and then the computer required a power down and then start up (not just a restart)…this was on a Lenovo.

I would provide More specifics but I’m a Luddite and used google to try enabling various things before I finally came across something saying that IN ADDITION to enabling various virtual things in the bios and via cmd, I also needed to turn the computer off and then back on.

Hey , I was attempting to follow the guide on getting tech stream using Virtual box. So I got everything installed but once I plugged in my cable(off Amazon) and got everything connected, everything on tech stream was pretty much blank.Like I had access to the customize settings but once opened there was nothing to edit. Could this be due to the cable? It was running firmware 1.4.1. Also is there a certain way I’m supposed to set tech steam up. I pretty much just downloaded virtual box and tech steam files posted then once the virtual machine opened I opened tech stream and connected. Any help would be appreciated. Also I’m doing this on a MacBook Air if that makes a difference.

I’ve also attached a photo of what I mean by blank as well as the cable info

9D2DAEC5-430C-4FB7-A0E1-786C18F938B9.jpeg

D6863F95-6887-4C6B-A2A3-0D2222D59A8D.jpeg

There was a question earlier if 2.0 had any benefits over 1.4 in a 100. Is there any answer available on that?

It is clear from the updates on this thread the 2.0 is needed for newer vehicles (150 and 200) but what about on a 100? Is there any additional functionality one can get on a 100 from running the 2.0 setup?

Is the 2.0 cable backward compatible and supports 1.4 as well?

There was a question earlier if 2.0 had any benefits over 1.4 in a 100. Is there any answer available on that?

It is clear from the updates on this thread the 2.0 is needed for newer vehicles (150 and 200) but what about on a 100? Is there any additional functionality one can get on a 100 from running the 2.0 setup?

Is the 2.0 cable backward compatible and supports 1.4 as well?

The rumor 8-10 years ago, was that the 1.4 firmware would “read” fine, but wouldn’t “write”, wouldn’t do “interactive tests”, and/or didn’t work so well with the later model 100 series. (I have not personally observed any of these issues).

I have not had any issues with the 2.x cables that I have. I have a mild preference for the 2.x cable “just in case”, but as I stated earlier, they seem to be much harder to get now, and the prices have gone through the roof.

I’m sorry that I derailed this thread by asking about firmware versions.

Still not sure what my issue with TS is. It either crashes my computer or seems to have intermittent success. I was able to turn off my tilt wheel, unable to see ahc, tried to bleed brakes this weekend after master cylinder replacement and kept failing. Every time I seem to try and work with this it ends in frustration.

@GTV

I retasked an old Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 that I had sitting in a “junk drawer” for a while. The screen was a bit too small, and you had to use a OTG USB adapter on the charging port to get a USB port. It was workable, but fiddly.

I soon upgraded to an eBayed Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 (less than $100), which has a larger screen, and built in USB ports, as my dedicated TechStream tablet. It works just fine, but I’m running TechStream directly on the device (not the VirtualBox VM that this thread is based around).

The tablet is great for a road trip, but as an “always in the car device”, a scangauge, or iCarsoft device, is much more convenient, due to not having to worry if it is charged.

I'm following your advice and picked up a used Venue 11 Pro. When you say that you're running TS directly on the device is it as simple as skipping ahead to step 4 as shown in the first post in this thread? Apologies for the rookie question!

I'm following your advice and picked up a used Venue 11 Pro. When you say that you're running TS directly on the device is it as simple as skipping ahead to step 4 as shown in the first post in this thread? Apologies for the rookie question!

Not really. Usually the cables come with a CD that has drivers for the cable, and their version of Techstream. I made a USB thumb drive copy of the CD, and load from the thumb drive.

Let me know (via PM) when you receive your used tablet & cable, and I’ll try to walk you through the process.

Not really. Usually the cables come with a CD that has drivers for the cable, and their version of Techstream. I made a USB thumb drive copy of the CD, and load from the thumb drive.

Let me know (via PM) when you receive your used tablet & cable, and I’ll try to walk you through the process.
My cd that came with my cable was a virus nightmare. Had to get a new laptop

My cd that came with my cable was a virus nightmare. Had to get a new laptop

Yep, I’ve seen that too, on one version of the cable. One of the reasons, that I like Techstream, of questionable origin, on an isolated/dedicated tablet.

Could someone comment if this Techstream 2.0 cable is going to work with my 100 series 2005 LX? I am trying to future proof my purchase in case I decide to switch to a later model 200 series. I am told the 200 series requires Techstream 2.0. Is that correct?

TS 1.4 cable is about $50
TS 2.0 cable is about $96

Amazon product ASIN B07BCL3DFR

Apologies if i am being a dork - been searching for ages with not much success ........ I am able to run TechStream on a Win10 laptop ok, and I have a menu option to air-bleed the front brakes but i don't seem to be able to bleed the rears using TechStream - am I doing something wrong??? Or do i need a different TS version (running version 16.30.013)?

Apologies if i am being a dork - been searching for ages with not much success ........ I am able to run TechStream on a Win10 laptop ok, and I have a menu option to air-bleed the front brakes but i don't seem to be able to bleed the rears using TechStream - am I doing something wrong??? Or do i need a different TS version (running version 16.30.013)?
Your having better luck than I was. I ended up just bleeding the old fashioned way and gave up on the tech.

yup did the air bleed via TechStream, rest of it the old-fashioned way. Bled the accumulator using the FSM process. Seems to be ok.

Folks, I purchased the cable from @getco and followed the instructions from the first post to download the two packages. One for VM and another for the TS windows XP image. Here is what I did.

1. I installed the Virtual Machine on a Windows 7. Even though I was running native windows 7 on my old laptop, I still installed the VM as all configs are part of step 2. No customization needed.
2. Imported the ova file that had the TS windows image into Virtual Machine.

That is it. It worked out of the box.

@getco thanks for your help in sorting through my list of questions.

Does the car need to be in ignition mode through the connection of techstream? or can I start the engine because I don't think its good to just leave the electrical running without charging.

Does the car need to be in ignition mode through the connection of techstream? or can I start the engine because I don't think its good to just leave the electrical running without charging.
I had the same question. Does the car need to be in accessory mode to connect via Techstream? Or could we start the engine so we don't end up draining the battery. We can't leave it in accessory mode for too long.

1. Start the car
2. Connect the mini-vci cable from car to laptop
3. Start Techstream

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom