How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTW through Techstream I was able to program my new to me 2007 Toyota Tundra Master keys. It was easy with Techsteam instead of doing all the - close the door 5 times then hold your nose 2 time etc.
Being able to program another key is why I bought the 2.0-- right now I only have the 1.04.

I think I am going to permanently abandon my old HP laptop with Techstream installed (2017 install). I've used this VM setup on some old Macbook Airs (i7) for quite some time along with my old HP config. This VM setup works well with my 2.04. cables.

Same version of TS I use with my '12 460 as well.

Just another thumbs up and kudos to OP.

👍

Im new to techstream so im obviously having some issues but have scanned through the forums and everything else i could find online to no avail. Ordered the mini vci cable, didnt know it came with a disc as well , version V15.00.028. I had already downloaded the latest version and it ran ok but not what i want and missing many options im guessing bc the cable isnt meant to be ran with the latest version so considering my laptop doesnt have a disc drive I started looking for the version that goes with my cable, the ones i found look to be mostly virus and nonsense. Can anyone provide a little insight on how to get the v15.00.028 download to run with VB? I hate to ask for something thats probably simple for most of you but I'm more of a grease monkey so I'm stuck. I appreciate any insight or a legitimate free link for the download. I wouldve bought a different cable if i knew it was for a earlier version but this is where Im at. The latest version did ok and was seamless via VB but i can def tell it's not completely compatible.

What fxns are missing?

Hmm....so having everything in one paragraph its hard to understand what is it that you are needing? I want help with techstream? did u look at the techstream thread? It pretty much shows how to step by step on how to get techstream up and running.

Being able to program another key is why I bought the 2.0-- right now I only have the 1.04.
You do not need 2.0 cable to do that. I programmed my 2007 Tundra keys & Key fobs using Mini VCI 1.41 version cable.

Good news folks.. I managed to get the latest version of Techstream up and running on my windows 10 machine. Techstream ver 16.20.023 - I tested it working with my Tundra. I am 99.999% sure it will run on the older LC. I'll try to gather up some details and post how to get it up and running.

Edit - to answer @planomateo below.

- I am seeing that the new version works. The only minor issue during initial screen where it ask what model. You first have to select UJZ-100 instead of LC/LX. But I dont think its a problem at all
- Used the same old mini VCI cable firmware 1.41 (I believe some of the newer changes will need the 2.x firmware cable - but likely not needed for LC/LX 100's changes)
- If you are happy with 12.xx.xx Techstream you can continue using it. But I just wanted to get the latest version b/c I have newer Toyota's
- One main thing is to get the Mini VCI cable to be installed on Window 10 64 bit. This is the main thing you have to get working (which is easy btw). Once you do this successfully then installing Techstream 16.2x.xxx is easy.

Last edited:
More details...

- what issues are you seeing?
- What cable?
- I use an old version of techstream. The new software is for newer vehicles. Install the software that came with cable.

Good news folks.. I managed to get the latest version of Techstream up and running on my windows 10 machine. Techstream ver 16.20.023 - I tested it working with my Tundra. I am 99.999% sure it will run on the older LC. I'll try to gather up some details and post how to get it up and running.

Edit - to answer @planomateo below.

- I am seeing that the new version works. The only minor issue during initial screen where it ask what model. You first have to select UJZ-100 instead of LC/LX. But I dont think its a problem at all
- Used the same old mini VCI cable firmware 1.41 (I believe some of the newer changes will need the 2.x firmware cable - but likely not needed for LC/LX 100's changes)
- If you are happy with 12.xx.xx Techstream you can continue using it. But I just wanted to get the latest version b/c I have newer Toyota's
- One main thing is to get the Mini VCI cable to be installed on Window 10 64 bit. This is the main thing you have to get working (which is easy btw). Once you do this successfully then installing Techstream 16.2x.xxx is easy.

Can you share link to that version?

Thread merge. Question was to @BamaLC100

I was able to get it running last night on an extra Dell laptop we had laying around. Windows 8 I believe, lol…
Haven’t plugged it into the LC yet but my 2015 Tacoma 4-cylinder linked right up.
Not much to look at for a base model but this weekend I’ll be plugging it into the LC.

Download from OP and used this cable FWIW…

Washinglee OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for Toyota Lexus Scion, USB Diangostic Scanner Cable Supporting TIS Techstream and 32/64 bit Windows Amazon product ASIN B084H75MZ3
I had a problem on my Win10 (32 bit apparently). I downloaded the 5.22 version of virtual box and it ran, after it installed the virtual Win XP program. Here's the link:

https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.44/VirtualBoxSDK-5.2.44-139111.zip

Now, I just need to get a cable. Seem to be ~$40 now.

Last edited:
I had a problem on my Win10 (32 bit apparently). I downloaded the 5.22 version of virtual box and it ran, after it installed the virtual Win XP program. Here's the link:

https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.44/VirtualBoxSDK-5.2.44-139111.zip

Now, I just need to get a cable. Seem to be ~$40 now.
Ok I’ll try this tonight. I’ve tried a few different versions. All load up, connect to truck but custom setting screen is still a no go. So I guess I’ll try the Virtualbox uninstall and install the version you tried. The cable I ordered came with a disc that reads V15.00.028 I believe. I didn’t even know the cable was coming with the software. My laptop doesn’t have a disc reader so I was attempting to install that specific version but the ones online are sketchy and there aren’t many of them. I’ll go to the parents house and get my disc driver if I can’t figure it but I’m surprised that I can’t find v15.00.028 for free. My guess is the older the version the better it’ll read my 98 LC but not sure, new to this.

Also I guess I should just ask, who in this thread owns a 98 LC/LX and has successfully accessed the custom settings and were there many options? I would like to hear from the folks with the same year as me so I can just maybe download the same version, thanks for any help

AFAIK.. on the 460 anyway... some of the customization options went away with later TS versions. I've just stayed at V12.x since it does everything I need on my my 2012 460.
That was the first one that I loaded up. Everything went fine just no custom settings. I just have to narrow the version down to 98ish and I think I’ll hit pay dirt but we’ll see.

Anyone having luck with using the 12.20.024 version in 2021 model year cruisers? I know this is the 100 series forum, but don’t know where else to get such good information about tech stream. TIA

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II / Mini-VCI interface. One option:
- Mini VCI J2534 16Pin OBD2 Diagnostic Cable For Toyota Lexus TIS Tech Car Scanner | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/265057592363 ($20, Ships Free)

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Win.exe
- MacOS: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Edit (02/28/21): Updated links to new versions of Virtualbox & new link to cheap Mini-VCI cable
free techstream here in Mega??

Okay I got techstream to work and hook up to the vehicle but I'm either too dumb or slow on how to figure out where the AHC data is. Can someone help? I can find engine, cruise control, abs/trac, etc....but no AHC stuff

Ignore, I didn't select LX470 on start-up. Got it working now.

Last edited:
free techstream here in Mega??

Whats the question again? The mega link is for downloading the 12.xx.xx version of Techstream...Yes.. is that the question?

I’m having an epic failure of a time trying to get this to work. I have followed the steps in the original post exactly. TS won’t boot up in the VB and gives me an error code immediately. I tried on my old MacBook Pro. Then booted up my Dell laptop. Did the exact steps and still nothing. It looks to almost boot up but then gives me this error. Can anyone help me and explain what I’m doing wrong or how to get this to work? Thank you!

DA6FCE77-73F8-4EB1-8580-E404367D5D06.jpeg

CA596933-BD25-4493-A122-9A81EA4B076B.jpeg

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II / Mini-VCI interface. One option:
- Mini VCI J2534 16Pin OBD2 Diagnostic Cable For Toyota Lexus TIS Tech Car Scanner | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/265057592363 ($20, Ships Free)

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Win.exe
- MacOS: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Edit (02/28/21): Updated links to new versions of Virtualbox & new link to cheap Mini-VCI cable
Hello, thaanks! Does cable firmware matter for this setup? I am seeing 1.4.8 or 1.4.3 on Amazon and ebay, they are cheaper options than what is posted here. The cable posted here doesn't specify firmware versions, but just thought I'd ask...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom