How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just installed on Catalina and will update to Big Sur tonight to verify it still works, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Just google "Virtualbox", click "Downloads", under the title "VirtualBox 6.1.22 platform packages" click on the "OS X Hosts" link, click the downloaded .dmg to install, launch VirtualBox simply to verify it works, then download and launch the Techstream .ova in the OP. Then you launch Techstream from VirtualBox after it has been installed, Windows XP 32-bit will boot and Techstream will have a desktop icon that you can launch.
These are the errors I am getting when I try to open techstream. I am running Big Sur and virtualbox verson 6.1.22

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 2.13.40 PM.png

These are the errors I am getting when I try to open techstream. I am running Big Sur and virtualbox verson 6.1.22

View attachment 2705317
Ok so there is a way to "Power On" the VM, then you should be able to open techstream from there, if I remember correctly.

Ok so there is a way to "Power On" the VM, then you should be able to open techstream from there, if I remember correctly.

I was able to get it running last night on an extra Dell laptop we had laying around. Windows 8 I believe, lol…
Haven’t plugged it into the LC yet but my 2015 Tacoma 4-cylinder linked right up.
Not much to look at for a base model but this weekend I’ll be plugging it into the LC.

Download from OP and used this cable FWIW…

Washinglee OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for Toyota Lexus Scion, USB Diangostic Scanner Cable Supporting TIS Techstream and 32/64 bit Windows Amazon product ASIN B084H75MZ3

View attachment 2705317

Try a reboot first.

Otherwise, this is likely a permissions issue. You'll have to go into your "Security & Privacy" settings, under "System Preferences" and give VirtualBox explicit permission to run. There should be a little ribbon at the bottom of the first screen in "Security & Privacy" when you open it up, but if there's not then you'll have to reinstall VirtualBox, attempt to run it, and then go look for what I just described and click "Allow". If you reinstalled and have already given full permissions, reboot to install the required kexts.

Last edited:
I currently don't have one but for the M1 Macs you might try Parallels as well

Received a new cable today and it still will not connect to the AHC ecu. Now when I connect to techstream some of the buttons on the left pane are missing, like health check. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything and no success. Any other things I should be looking into? I've had this working before on this computer so I figure it SHOULD work again.View attachment 2052393
I'm having the same issue and couldn't find the fix.

The buttons don't show up and the screen is too big for the laptop display. I have a Dell Inspiron Mini

Try a reboot first.

Otherwise, this is likely a permissions issue. You'll have to go into your "Security & Privacy" settings, under "System Preferences" and give VirtualBox explicit permission to run. There should be a little ribbon at the bottom of the first screen in "Security & Privacy" when you open it up, but if there's not then you'll have to reinstall VirtualBox, attempt to run it, and then go look for what I just described and click "Allow". If you reinstalled and have already given full permissions, reboot to install the required kexts.

I gave the permission and rebooted, a few more permissions prompts, and boom its working. Sweet.

i running about a 2012 dell with windows 7, no issue with the link in first thread. Seems best to insert USB cable after VM open. I did brake bleed today. cable was from CN, 60 days ish to get. cant help there
Wanting to do the brake bleed, but I can't find it in TS. I am able to connect with the cable, no problem. Ran a Health Check just fine. Where is/are the functions like brake bleed?

Wanting to do the brake bleed, but I can't find it in TS. I am able to connect with the cable, no problem. Ran a Health Check just fine. Where is/are the functions like brake bleed?

Under "System Select", click on ABS/VSC/TRAC, then click the green arrow. This should bring up the brake system ECU page. Then click on "Utility" and you should see the option for air bleeding.

Thanks for posting this @getco!!

I have a question. I am running VMware Fusion 12 on a newer Mac. I double click the .ova file and it launches as it should and everything works for the first several seconds. Then Windows XP (I hate windows) updates a bunch of device drivers and the mouse no longer works. I've tried various settings in vmware but i'm stumped. Anyone else had this issue and can suggest a fix?

Thanks

Have you tried? https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003665
I've seen this issue before with mouse driver conflicts inside WindowsXP. Another option might be to try to use a USB mouse and use Fusion to pass-through the device directly to Windows XP to see if you can get it to work.

I cant get TIS to connect, keep getting the unable to connect to VIM error. When I plug in the cable it makes the usb connection noise on my base machine (win10 64 bit) but when I go into the device manger I dont see xhorse or mvci anywhere, just unknown devices with the error triangle saying it doesnt have drivers. Not sure if that matters or not. Under other devices VirtualBox USB also has the error triangle saying it doesnt have any drivers. Again, no clue if this impacts anything regarding the vm just giving as much info as I can.

Do I need to do anything inside the xp vm? In the virtual box settings on the bottom right when the VM is running with the MVCI plugged in I can right click the usb icon, go into settings and the HX M-VCI [0600] shows up. The MVCI firmware update tool program says it cant connect to my device if I click the device info button inside of it, again no clue if that matters or not. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I fire up TIS, plugin the USB, wait a bit and then connect the mvci (with the vehicles key turned but not running). Any advice?

edit: Also, the XP machine doesnt make a USB connection noise, win10 base does but the VM isnt. And I'm getting a 'Failed to attach the usb device HX M-VCI [0600] to the virtual machine TechStream 12.20.024.' if I right click the virtualbox usb icon and click on the mvci option.

What do I need to do to get this dumbass thing to connect? Have the usual amazon special mini-vci j2534.

Last edited:
The Windows XP VM should have had the USB drivers pre-installed. If Windows XP device manager is showing the USB device as unknown, it needs the drivers to be installed. It's not important in host system (Windows 10) has the USB device drivers installed. Only the VM needs to connect to the USB device. Not sure why your USB device isn't working, but maybe return it and try another supplier. Not all connectors on Amazon are the same.

Under "System Select", click on ABS/VSC/TRAC, then click the green arrow. This should bring up the brake system ECU page. Then click on "Utility" and you should see the option for air bleeding.
Is this security ribbon in and security setting in VirtualBox or is this a Windows system setting issue?

I'm stuck trying to run on a Windows laptop. Anyone have a similar sticking point? Does either program need Internet access for the install once they're downloaded?

20210820_194204.jpg

Has anyone been able to get Techstream working using the 22-pin diagnostics plug in the engine bay? My HZJ105 does not appear to have an OBD connector inside the car (nothing attached to the brake pedal). It is a mechanically injected diesel so there is no engine ECU, but there should be one for the airbags, ABS and body.

Has anyone been able to get Techstream working using the 22-pin diagnostics plug in the engine bay? My HZJ105 does not appear to have an OBD connector inside the car (nothing attached to the brake pedal). It is a mechanically injected diesel so there is no engine ECU, but there should be one for the airbags, ABS and body.

Seems like a Toyota DLC1-to-DLC3 adapter is needed -- there are various sources costing around AUD20 -- can be found on eBay, or here:

Based in Perth, WA:
OBD2 Cable Adapter For Toyota (22 Pin) - https://obd2australia.com.au/product/obd2-cable-adapter-for-toyota-22-pin/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxeS368bB8gIVSAwrCh0g8gNGEAQYASABEgLIuPD_BwE

Based in Tullarmarine, VIC:
For Toyota OBD1 17 Pins to OBD2 16 Pins Adapter Cable - https://www.azscanners.com.au/for-toyota-obd1-17-pins-to-obd2-16-pins-diagnostic?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2I2lpcrB8gIVG5pmAh2vxgI-EAQYAyABEgJ4JvD_BwE

Suggest e-mail or chat with these suppliers first to check that the pin-outs on these adapters will enable you to do what you want on your model year HZJ105.

If not already done, also suggest broaden the inquiry to Australian-based Welcome to Land Cruiser Owners On Line (LCOOL) - https://lcool.org (requires free registration) in order to reach more HZJ105 Owners.

Seems like a Toyota DLC1-to-DLC3 adapter is needed -- there are various sources costing around AUD20 -- can be found on eBay, or here:

Based in Perth, WA:
OBD2 Cable Adapter For Toyota (22 Pin) - https://obd2australia.com.au/product/obd2-cable-adapter-for-toyota-22-pin/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxeS368bB8gIVSAwrCh0g8gNGEAQYASABEgLIuPD_BwE

Based in Tullarmarine, VIC:
For Toyota OBD1 17 Pins to OBD2 16 Pins Adapter Cable - https://www.azscanners.com.au/for-toyota-obd1-17-pins-to-obd2-16-pins-diagnostic?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2I2lpcrB8gIVG5pmAh2vxgI-EAQYAyABEgJ4JvD_BwE

Suggest e-mail or chat with these suppliers first to check that the pin-outs on these adapters will enable you to do what you want on your model year HZJ105.

If not already done, also suggest broaden the inquiry to Australian-based Welcome to Land Cruiser Owners On Line (LCOOL) - https://lcool.org (requires free registration) in order to reach more HZJ105 Owners.

I have that cable adaptor from the mob in Perth and everything connects up, I just cant get a response from any of the systems on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom