How to remove the spade connector located in the white plastic connector (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys and Gals, the title says it all. Here's a couple of pics that will help explain my situation.
The PO messed up the plugs. I couldn't find a source for the plugs. I would fab up another connector if I could find the plugs.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I've searched various titles with the words, "fusible link" included and I haven't found what I needed.
Thanks.
fl2 white plug.jpg
fusible link labeled.jpg

Get a new fusible link.
I think @ToyotaMatt may have them...

But before you hook up a new fusible link, verify that the source wire isn’t shorted — otherwise you’ll just burn up your new fusible link too

Get a new fusible link.
I think @ToyotaMatt may have them...

But before you hook up a new fusible link, verify that the source wire isn’t shorted — otherwise you’ll just burn up your new fusible link too
I don't know what/where the "source wire" is. I'll check with Matt as well. Thanks.

The “source” is the other end of the burnt wire. Something shorted on that circuit which blew the fusible link.

As a test, connect a 30 amp normal fuse inline with the broken wire and battery. It shouldn’t blow.
Then try turning accessories on and see if any of them blow it.

The “source” is the other end of the burnt wire. Something shorted on that circuit which blew the fusible link.

As a test, connect a 30 amp normal fuse inline with the broken wire and battery. It shouldn’t blow.
Then try turning accessories on and see if any of them blow it.
Oh - thanks - I traced the wires and didn't see a burnt wire.

Oh - thanks - I traced the wires and didn't see a burnt wire.

That's because your fusible link burnt first, as designed. It did its job in saving your harness. The test that @OSS suggested will help you find the short that is almost certainly lurking somewhere.

That looks like you have a serious short

Here's the "back story" ... during the last few weeks, my 60 had a occasional problem starting. If I moved the wife leading into the connector it would start. I found the connector that had "cold solder" joints. When the 60 wouldn't start I could move/jiggle the connection and the 60 would start.
Today I removed the link, removed all of the electrical tape and found the link with the old wires. It didn't smell burnt, so I figured this wasn't a new problem.

you need to just buy a complete replacement fusible link assembly.
Even if you are able to depin that housing the entire area around it is no longer insulated.

you need to just buy a complete replacement fusible link assembly.
Even if you are able to depin that housing the entire area around it is no longer insulated.
Thanks Cruisermatt, I've looked for a new/used one and haven't had any luck. I'm going to continue to look.

This thread may be helpful

and @CruiserTrash is building an aftermarket replacement FJ60 Fusible Link Replacement Kit - Plug & Play - https://cruisertrashparts.com/products/fj60-fusible-link-replacement-kit?variant=43818600890624

Thanks for the mention @Godwin

@JamesR I make a kit to replaced the fusible link that is a 15 minute plug & play install job. It uses modern MIDI fuses that you can find at any auto parts store (or order some ahead of time and throw them in your glove box). The original fusible links are getting very hard to find, and it’s been mentioned that they may or may not be discontinued. Link here for the kit.

I also have several old fusible links that I would sell. They’re in various conditions, but the wires are all intact and they work in my truck. Seeing as they’re all pretty old it’s a buy-at-your-own-risk kind of thing.

As others have mentioned I would figure out WHY that link burnt up. If it happened under the previous owner’s watch maybe they had solved the issue but poorly repaired the fusible link. In any case it merits further investigation just to be safe. Looking at your photos, it appears that the slot on its own (not the ones parallel to each other) was the culprit. That is connected to the alternator as well as the cabin fuse panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom